Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:01:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 560147 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« on: October 15, 2019, 10:37:53 AM »

Economics: I'm a believer in free-market capitalism, but I also support government regulation and intervention, especially in the financial sector. I support taxpayer-funded education and taxpayer-funded healthcare, because the benefits of these programs far outweigh the costs, and sometimes are more cost-effective than private solutions. I believe in open competition, open markets, and the free movement of people, goods, and services. I believe in progressive taxation, as well as lowering barriers to economic mobility.

Abortion: Safe, legal, and rare. I would never counsel anyone to have an abortion if their life or health weren't threatened, and if so, I would implore them to terminate their pregnancy as soon as possible. I consider abortion the destruction of a human life, but not a human person, and therefore the well-being of the mother is paramount. I believe forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy to term violates basic human dignity, bodily autonomy, and privacy, and therefore I generally oppose legislative restrictions on abortion in general.

The war on drugs: Prohibition never works. Legalize and tax low-harm substances like marijuana, and for high-harm substances like heroin or meth, criminalize the supply, but not the demand, and focus on treatment and recovery. Pardon everyone currently behind bars for minor drug offenses who haven't committed a violent crime.

LGBTQ issues: I'm bisexual and my spouse is trans. This fight is personal. Gender identity is real. Your sexuality is valid.

Border/Immigration: One of the functions of the modern state is to protect its citizens from external threats. To this end I believe in controlled national borders. However, I also support the free movement of people, and anyone without a criminal background who wishes to enter this country to work, should be allowed to do so. After a time of continuous employment and a clean record, that person should have a path to citizenship. We should enthusiastically welcome refugees for humanitarian reasons and because we are strengthened by diversity.

Nationalism: I really don't give a rip about magic songs and magic banners. America isn't particularly exceptional, but it's my home and an extension of my family, and in that regard I am loyal to my country.

Race: We live in a racist society. You can ignore the systemic injustice and implicit, societal bias, or you can work to solve it. Money won't fix this. Government can only do so much. People must change.

Church and state: Build a wall.

Death penalty: Never, under any circumstances.

Gun control: We need to classify firearms according to their danger to the public, and require appropriate licensing and testing for each class. We can respect the 2nd Amendment rights of citizens for self defense, while also protecting the public from the dangers of a completely unregulated market for tools of mass murder.

Prostitution: Criminalize the Johns, decriminalize the sex workers.

Environment: Listen to our scientists. Expand nuclear power. Continue to develop renewable energy. Enact disincentives to fossil fuel extraction, as this is the root cause of climate change.

Foreign policy: Internationalism and cooperation, pro-UN, pro-NATO. We must extract ourselves from our role as world police, but this must be done slowly and carefully, so as not to upset the world order. Our alliances are precious, and we cannot ignore our role as a global superpower.
One of the policy position combos I hate the most.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies