Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 557986 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: June 13, 2009, 08:05:54 AM »

Country First must be the dumbest international non-policy ever.

My International policy would be Country last.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 08:15:44 AM »

I'd say America First but the connotations of that are a bit uglier. Of course I'm going to come off as belligerent regardless so maybe I should have.

I agree that basing one's foreign policy on entirely the socioeconomic benefit of Americans and ignoring everyone else is going to look great to the rest of the world.

Assuming of course that the rest of the world exist and isn't just a fantasy thought up by bleedin' heart liberals.

Didn't we have a president just recently who had a policy like that?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 08:30:12 AM »

I'd say America First but the connotations of that are a bit uglier. Of course I'm going to come off as belligerent regardless so maybe I should have.

I agree that basing one's foreign policy on entirely the socioeconomic benefit of Americans and ignoring everyone else is going to look great to the rest of the world.

Assuming of course that the rest of the world exist and isn't just a fantasy thought up by bleedin' heart liberals.

Didn't we have a president just recently who had a policy like that?

Unfortunately, I'd say that we're really in a no win situation and have been for decades now. If we project power too much we'll be condemned. If we stick to ourselves, we'll be seen as callous. I'd prefer the latter generally, especially given how transparent our 'moral' justifications tend to be. Obviously the man child we had before disagreed.

How about doing neither and be genuinely internationalist. And no that doesn't mean invading countries for no apparent reason.

Bush was after all an American Firster too. Just not an isolationist. Anyway it's hardly in America's best economic interest to be protectionist.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 11:40:49 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Anything positive the UN can contribute? How about Global Co-operation? No matter how corrupt the UN actually is (is it really more corrupt than many governments the US are happy dealing with? Of course not.) it still offers that opportunity under a major institutional umbrella.

Surely it is in the best interests of the United States to actually be liked.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies