Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:45:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 557889 times)
Ohioguy29

« on: April 14, 2018, 05:30:23 PM »

Ideology: Economic liberal with a populist bent, social moderate. I kinda consider my ideology the opposite of libertarianism. When asked for a simple term, I just say labor Democrat.

Top issues: Jobs, drugs, healthcare

Entitlements and healthcare: Preserve Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid. No gutting our entitlements. Create a public option. Have the government subsidize childcare so people can afford to have families. Free community college or trade school for everyone.

Unions: Should be a top priority of the party. One of the best ways to fight against income inequality.

Education: Fund it properly, Oklahoma. And make sure it's not done in a sh**tty way where richer areas get more funding for their schools like we have in Ohio. Less funding for charter schools and higher standards; they often suck. As mentioned above, make higher education more affordable.

Drugs: Legalize marijuana. Don't legalize anything else, but realize that we can't arrest our way out of the addiction crisis. It didn't work in the '80s and it won't work now. I also want politicians to come hard after Big Pharma who helped create this disaster.

Taxes: Higher income taxes on the rich (although there's an upper limit here; it's not the 1950s anymore), lower taxes on the rest of us if possible. Sales tax should be as low as possible; I commend states like Montana which don't have a sales tax.

Trade: Skeptical of many free trade deals, supportive of tariffs on China.

Campaign finance: We need deep reform here. I've seen the detrimental effects on the state level here in Ohio.

Abortion: Safe, legal, rare. I don't have a moral opposition to abortion (the fact that it's not prohibited by the Bible is striking), but it's not like anyone wants to get one.

Guns: Pro-gun, although supportive of a few things like increased background checks.

Immigration: Immigration is a privilege, not a right. We need to secure our borders. We also need to crack down on employers who employ undocumented immigrants. I think we should make it a little easier to immigrate from Mexico; that would cut down on illegal immigration some. I think if you go to jail and you're undocumented, you should be deported. We should also deport people who've only been here for a short time. I think we should give all the DREAMERs green cards immediately and a path to citizenship, but I don't think people who immigrated as adults should be treated exactly the same since they chose to come here.

Energy: We should strive for energy independence. As much of this as possible should be done through green energy, which is both good for the environment and a great source of jobs. Fracking and nuclear energy shouldn't be taken off the table, and they are actually an important part of preventing climate change. Coal is bad for the environment but we can't abandon people in coal towns; we should preserve coal as long as needed while we try to bring other industries into places like West Virginia.

Criminal justice reform: Body cams on every officer to start with. We need a lot more on this front though.

Some other stuff I'm gonna throw all together: Raise the minimum wage. Strongly opposed to UBI; we want jobs, not welfare. I think political correctness has really gone too far these days and it worries me. I support reparations for slavery. Liberals and Democrats needs to be more welcoming of religious people. Globalization and the economic and cultural changes that have been happening lately have not been good for everyone and that needs to be acknowledged.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies