Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:17:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 562014 times)
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« on: May 21, 2018, 07:57:55 PM »

Pretty liberal overall, but deeply pragmatic and almost always a loyal Democrat. I'm not at all the type to try to unseat a popular moderate if they're the most realistic candidate, enforce party litmus tests when I realize that certain liberal policy proposals are not popular throughout the country, or resist voting for a Democrat in a general election just because I have some mild disagreements with them.

Abortion? Staunchly pro-choice
Gay Marriage? Staunchly in favor
Guns? Staunchly anti-gun but willing to settle for incremental reform
Marijuana? Legalize it, and explore decriminalization for other drugs
Death Penalty? Oppose, but less for moral reasons and more for finance/practicality reasons
Electoral Reform? Abolish (or at least heavily reform) the electoral college and regulate campaign finance more strictly (not a fan of term limits though)
Religion? Strongly stand against any sort of religious pervasiveness into government and am entirely opposed to any religious basis for public policy, but of course want to protect the freedom for anyone to worship as they see fit
Parental Rights? This is a very broad category but I generally support the protection of a child's confidentiality in a school or medical professional over the requests of parents for disclosure of information
Illegal Immigration? Pass legislation to cement the protected status of DREAMers, rein in the current aggressiveness of ICE, and be more forgiving of non-violent offenses committed by illegal immigrants

Taxation? Slight increase of taxation on top income brackets from Obama-era numbers
Healthcare? Fine-tune the ACA with the short-term goal of adding a public option and long-term goal of transitioning to a single payer-like system
Environmental Issues? Strongly incentivize renewable energy and eventually punish non-renewable energy, strongly regulate the cleanliness of our air and water, and recognize the threat of climate change and our role in causing it (inc. reentering the Paris Climate Agreement)

Dovish/Hawkish? Moderately dovish
Israel vs. Palestine? Both are problematic, but the United States has typically been (and is very much so right now) very favorable towards Israel while ignoring the wants of Palestinians, so I would like to a more impartial foreign policy on this issue (which Obama seemed to be moving towards during his second term, ex. not vetoing the UN resolution condemning Israeli settlement building); the United States also has to condemn unnecessary violence on both sides, include Israeli "defense" during the Gaza protests last week
Iran Deal? Not perfect but it definitely didn't make seem to make sense to exit at this point
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies