Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:10:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 561761 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 28, 2018, 03:55:35 AM »

Overall: I’d consider myself a moderate on most areas. All things being equal I’m going to vote Democrat but in many instances I will vote Republican. As I did in the 2012 MA Senate race. I came damn close to voting for Romney that year as well. Moderate Democrat sums me up perfectly. My “perfect politician” if there is such a thing, has already existed: his name is John F Kennedy. Literally everything he believed in, I believe in.

Military: Lean Hawkish on areas of national security interest but in areas of “moral combat” I believe we should teed lightly because despite having morals, I’m not sure being the worlds policemen are  worth the lives of young American men and women. Foreign aid to support the defense of our allies is totally reasonable as long as it’s not coming at our expense. Maintain the commitments we’ve made thus far but beyond that hold off on making any new ones.

Economics/Entitlements: In a society that is as well off as we are, I believe it is the social responsibility of those who are really well off to pay more than others to take care of the less fortunate. That doesn’t mean I support a total nanny state that funds the lazy habits of layabouts. The amount of safety nets to prevent abuse in this area leaves a lot to be desired. But as long as safety nets to prevent fraud are enacted, I think the ultra rich (over $2M) need to pay a moderate tax on first portion of wealth but then a higher tax rate on anything over a certain amount (let’s say $5M). Yes this is a redistribution of wealth to a degree but overall it makes for a better country.

Equal Pay: I support a law that firmly states equal pay for equal work.
Not a step closer to it but at it. Period.

Health care: I believe health care should be an absolute right for every single American. How much you pay for the health care depends on how much income you take in. But it should be afforded to every American. Medicare should be expanded far beyond its current scope.

Child care: Government should subsidize 40 hours of child care per child up to age 5. For special needs children up to age 8.

Regulations: There are many good justifiable reasons for the government to get involved with the way companies do business so as to prevent dangerous practices but there’s no question that government regulation puts a stranglehold on some companies that makes it more profitable for them to do business outside of America and that must change.

Minimum wage: There should be a an $12 federal minimum wage and one that slowly escalated based on the cost of living. Aside from the federal minimum there should be higher ones in certain states based on cost of living

Immigration: To enter into the United States, you are being given a privilege. It is not your birthright. It sucks that some people have to be turned away but we must secure our borders. We must protect ourselves. The people who are here need to be thought of before we think of potentially new people. This country was founded on the basis of legal immigration, its part of our heritage. But the border can not be a free for all of people flooding in and going anywhere they want for whatever reason they want - and then once they get here draining our resources. YES certain severe dangerous cases require special action but otherwise people need to wait their turn.

Balanced budget: I don’t think it’s totally reasonable to demand a balanced budget considering you never know what is going to come up at any random time. But I do believe once the rate of expenses surpasses revenue - only certain things can be added to the budget and only certain things can be continue to be funded. I also think an automatic tax increase and budget cuts should be triggered when expenses outpace revenues. I know it doesn’t seem totally realistic but the concept can be pulled off at some point.

Infrastructure: One thing that America is desperately behind on is infrastructure. For the richest and most powerful country in the world there is absolutely horrendous infrastructure in this country. In part due to the public not wanting to pay for it, politicians not wanting to fund it and in part due to graft from construction companies. I think it should become a federal law that certain aspects of infrastructure shall be maintained by the states (power, water, roadways) with some help from federal government. For the major metro areas I think an extreme number, possibly in the trillions needs to be spent to update, upgrade, modernize and expand the mass transit systems and airports - to do this the states need to be asked to pay their fair share but the federal government should pitch in a matching amount.

Marriage: I believe the concept of a “marriage” is between a man and a woman but where as society has deemed a marriage to be a union of two ondodovuals who love each other, I no longer think it’s right of me to suggest equally weighted “civil unions ” as a substitute homosexuals for marriage. Thus I’m now okay with Gay marriage.

Prostitution Should be totally legal for anyone 19 and over. Should be taxed, regulated and legal only in a brothel setting. Civil infraction & steep fine for individual street cases (for both John and prostitute) but a felony for running an illegal house of prostitution.

Marijuana: Support cross the board legalization for anyone over 18. Selling in licenced establishments permitted across the board and heavily taxed. Driving under influence similar to DUI. Selling small amounts a misdemeanor, heavy amounts = a felony

Alcohol: Drinking age 21. Civil infraction for those 18-21 caught drinking. Alcohol should be heavily taxed

Cigarettes: Smoking age should be 18 as is. Cigarettes should be EXTREMELY taxed.

Abortion: Pro-Choice. Abortion should be legal up to 20 weeks. 20-24 weeks only in case rape/incest. After 24 weeks only to save life of mother.

Gun control: Don’t believe in banning guns outright but believe a strong and I do mean strong amount of control legislation should be enacted. From background checks to gun free zones to red flag laws and beyond. The Second amendment was intended to protect against rogue leaders nesting up citizens and controlling them the way the British red coats did during the colonial days, those days are long gone.

Criminal justice: Our system broken. It should not be a liberal position that more African Americans are being needlessly shot dead by officers, it should be a common sense position because it’s a fact. The interaction between law enforcement and civilians is all out of whack. We have cops getting killed in cold blood and people getting killed by the cops for no apparent reason. For this we need far better training for law enforcement and without question body cams on every single policeman, as well as multiple cameras on police vechiles. And these cops that kill without justification need to be prosecuted, not allowed to skate. And in reverse the cop killers need to thrown away for good. >>>>>>> Once and for all the fact that those who are wealth off stand a better chance in our criminal justice system than those who are poor is absolutely abhorrent. How guilty or innocent some is. The circumstances of ones crime or indiscretion, how much someone has truly shown remorse or how much they have been rehabilitated - should be the standards by how well they do in the criminal justice system. I’m not sure what that takes to change it but it makes a mockery of our nation otherwise.

Unions: I strongly support unions but in some areas they have become too powerful and ESPECIALLY in the cases of public unions they have run rough shot over local budgets that are spending 30%-40% on pensions, it’s a joke. I guess what I’m saying is public unions need to be more reasonable because they are destroying government budgets and it’s not fair to the tax payer. But overall I do support the concept of unions and rights of workers.

Death Penalty: Torn on this. I generally oppose it but in VERY LIMITED cases I can understand it’s use. But as a rule I don’t support it and don’t mind it being banned in any state.

Electoral Reform:

- Voting ID: I support the idea that someone should show some form of proof that they are who they say they are when voting. This is common sense to me. The Left uses it to allow illegals to vote and the right uses this subject to intimidate and surpress voters. Both are wrong.

- Electoral College: I know it’s not rational but for some reason I support it. But I wouldn’t be crushed if it was done away with but that’s never going to happen

- Term limits: Oppose strongly. Lame duck politicians can’t be held accountable and to me the most dangerous person is someone who has nothing to lose.

Climate change: It’s real and we need to get ahead of it now before it’s too late. However I do not support extreme initiatives that provide minimum environmental benefit but create major inconvienances for average citizens.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies