Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:30:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 557730 times)
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« on: December 10, 2018, 11:41:10 PM »

Last time I took the political matrix test (a long while ago) I shifted slightly left economically and a lot to the right socially. I just took the test again and shifted to the right on both.

Economic: Was: -7.81, Now: -5.61 (Change +2.20)

Social: Was: -4.96, Now: -3.57 (Change +1.39)

"Your score pegs you as economically leftist and socially moderately libertarian.

Economic leftists mostly support strict economic controls and programs to assure that the poor are elevated to a higher position in society.

Moderate social libertarians generally favor a hands-off approach to social legislation. They may believe that the government has no right to enforce morals, but may support certain controls on individual rights to avoid crime, drug use, or similar social ills."

Mostly accurate, note "mostly," "generally" "may support certain controls" as some exceptions occur parting my views from the representation in the blurb. Especially agree with the elevating the poor portion.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 02:34:47 PM »

Just pasting my most recent (from 10/3/21) ISideWith result for simplicity's sake

For some ?s I chose the answer closest to my stance instead of writing in my own answer

https://www.isidewith.com/profile/4702487970/ballot/2024-presidential
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 09:30:45 AM »

Copying Greg's template

Social Issues
Abortion: Pro-life, except for cases of rape and to save the life of the mother (up to a certain point)
Birth Control: Should be legal and feminine products shouldn't be taxed as a luxury item; I also support comprehensive sex ed at the state/local level
Same-Sex Marriage: Support
Legalization of Drugs: I think it would be best to prosecute drug dealers and those whose drugs led to people's deaths strongly while decriminalizing regular use and discouraging it, especially for harder drugs apart from cannabis. I think a medical cannabis law federally would be good and allowing states to legalize it recreationally and tax and regulate it.
Gun Control: Oppose
Prostitution: Decriminalize for prostitutes but strongly discourage at health departments, for example; urge prostitutes to regularly get tested and strongly prosecute solicitors/customers and pimps/madams.
Affirmative Action: Oppose
Reparations: Oppose
Police Reform/BLM: Don't defund the police but some limited reforms are needed especially in cities (e.g., I support body cams at the state or local level). Training should also be improved. Criminal justice reform is needed.
Private Prisons: Oppose; I also think prisoners should work off the cost of their imprisonment but they shouldn't be treated badly for no reason. Violent criminals who are undocumented should be imprisoned and then deported so they can't just come back into the country as is the case when people (criminal or not) are deported en masse.
Big Tech: Regulate
Free Speech: As long as it doesn't incite violence, you should be allowed to say whatever you want
PATRIOT Act: Leave it alone, I suppose
Eminent Domain: Oppose, unless that person's home will more than likely cause damage to others. In the rare case that eminent domain would happen, fair compensation must be provided.
Immigration: Comprehensive Immigration Reform and allow more refugees especially Christian Arabs, Ukrainians, Tibetans, Hong Kongers, and Haitians; protect DACA and TPS, I don't support open borders but if the process to come in legally is easier than coming in illegally which is expensive and extremely dangerous then we wouldn't have a border "crisis." Don't continue building the wall but keep what's there.
Mask Mandates: Oppose
Vaccine Mandates: Oppose
COVID-19 Vaccines: They work, and I personally did get boosted; side effects and deaths do happen but it's less likely than bad effects from COVID itself

Economic Issues
Free Trade: Opposed NAFTA, USMCA is fine
Taxes: Extend the Trump era middle class tax cuts and restore taxes on the wealthy to 1950s rates to reduce the national debt -- our tax system is pretty unfair to the wealthy but it's not as if they can't afford to pay and high rates shouldn't reduce economic growth as we saw in the 50s.

I think inheritance tax/estate tax is pretty unfair but they should remain due to our big debt problem at least for a while. I don't support a wealth tax or a tax on unrealized gains though because that is fundamentally anti-capitalist, impractical, etc.
Healthcare: Support a voluntary public option, allow Medicare to negotiate the cost of life saving drugs (inc. insulin), allow drug importation from Canada and allow insurance companies to compete across state lines
Social Security: I would consider partial privatization (by personal choice) but only if benefits won't be decreased for the average person and/or the cap on social security tax could be removed to shore up funds for the program.
National Debt: Support paying down the national debt, even if that means cuts across the board and tax hikes on the wealthy
Campaign Finance Reform: Support
Unions: Neutral
Disability: No changes needed
Tarriffs: Meh, maybe some limited tariffs to support key US industries -- free trade with our allies is fine but I don't support outsourcing
Outsourcing: Oppose
Monopolies: Break them up, end subsidies for big ag and the fossil fuel industry

Foreign Policy
Foreign Aid: We barely give any to begin with and it's barely any of our budget. That being said, we should probably increase funding significantly, maybe to 1-1.5% of GDP to counter Chinese spending (for influence) in Africa.
UN Funding: Meh
NATO: Absolutely do not withdraw...doing so would allow Russia (and China) to run roughshod over much of the world
WHO: Remain but I don't like the WHO covering for China
Paris Deal: Remain but China and India need to pull their own weight too
Afghanistan: We should have withdrawn in 2004 but in a more orderly fashion. We should have gotten American citizens out first, and then our military personnel & equipment.
Iraq: I probably would have supported the war at the time, believing the WMD claim but we should have left in 2007 probably, if not earlier.
Iran: I supported the Iran Nuclear Deal at the time but it's a bad deal to rely on their word that they aren't developing nuclear weapons just as Trump's deal that had the Taliban agree to prevent terrorists organizing in their country is a bad deal because we only have the word of very unreliable people. So, sanctions, I guess.
Cuba: Keep the trade embargo until they become a free country.
China: Sanctions, I suppose. Continue to support HK and Taiwan.
Russia: Support sanctions
Section 230: Leave it alone, I suppose.

Education
CRT: Oppose
Evolution: We should teach evolution, and not creationism; tell students they need to know evolution for the test but they can believe what they like
School Prayer: Allow individual students to pray, but do not allow any adult to lead prayer in an official capacity as a faculty member
Sallie Mae: Their lending tactics are predatory but leave it alone aside from some minor changes to their practices, I suppose
Free College: Oppose
Free School Breakfasts/Lunches: Support but it should be a state/local decision

Environment
Climate Change: Is real, and is caused by humans to a large degree
Green New Deal: Tilt Yes? We need climate action and infrastructure. The cost is a major con to the plan though. If the $93 trillion dollar price tag is for real that's too much.
Carbon Tax: Yes, but use the proceeds to pay toward social spending (existing not new spending)
Keystone Pipeline: No

Elections
Big Lie: I was unsure about if Biden won legitimately. I think he probably did but there were likely some shenanigans in his favor during the electoral process.
Voter ID: Should be mandatory and free to all adults who want to vote (on a state-by-state basis, no federal mandate) -- If photo ID is required, it should be included on free voter ID given to voters.
Audits: Meh.
Term Limits: No
DC: Give the district 1 Senator and 1 Rep. through a constitutional amendment
PR: Statehood or Independence under a COFA w/ the USA
SCOTUS: No changes needed.

Many issues were left out but this is a pretty good overview.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies