Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:58:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 557858 times)
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: October 18, 2016, 11:50:00 PM »

Ideology

Social: Cultural moderate with libertarian instincts
Economic: Far right
Foreign Policy: Somewhere in between a Nixonian realist and non-interventionist
Political Registration: Registered as a Republican to vote in the presidential primary, view myself as an NPA

Social Policy
Abortion: I used to be hard-line Pro-Life because that was the environment I was raised in. Ultimately if you were to repeal Roe vs. Wade or somehow ban abortion in all 50 states the results would be pretty catastrophic. I'd support keeping Roe vs. Wade but regulating abortion far more than Democrats want to do.

Same-Sex Marriage: Support
Drugs: Legalize weed, decriminalize hard drugs
Stem-Cell Research: Support
Death Penalty: Oppose, simply because the risk of executing an innocent person far exceeds whatever "benefits" you get from capital punishment. I don't see anything morally wrong with a murderer being executed, though.
Gun Control: Generally pro-gun
Affirmative Action: Against unless there's some kind of practical justification for it, like hiring more black police officers in a black neighborhood or getting more Aboriginal doctors in Australia since they're the only ones who go to the aboriginal areas, exc.
Prostitution: Legalize and regulate
Bathrooms: I genuinely don't care, as in, I don't care if transpeople use the bathroom they want or if you have to use the bathroom of your birth gender. The fact that people view this as important enough to be discussed at the presidential level is pathetic.
Euthanasia: Support with the proper safeguards.

Economic Policy

Minimum Wage: Abolish
Social Security: Raise the retirement age and/or means test it, amongst some other structural reforms too complex to get into here.
Right to work: Oppose, one of my surprising positions
Taxation: In a perfect world I'd abolish the income tax, but at present I'd start a 50ish percent tax on the wealthy and keep other taxes the same to reduce the deficit.
Obamacare: Repeal and replace with either a voucher system or just keeping the popular elements of the bill while getting rid of the exchanges/individual mandate and adding some market reforms, like buying across state lines (I throw up a little in my mouth on the rare occasion when I agree with Trump)
Trade: Support TPP and keeping NAFTA as is. I'm open to other trade deals. I'm about as Neo-liberal as it gets.
Keystone: Support
Balanced Budget Amendment: Support something like it with plenty of exceptions. Unless there's a specific "excuse" the government shouldn't run a deficit.
Term Limits: Support

Foreign Policy and National Security
Iran Deal: Support
Syria: Focus on destroying ISIS
Military Spending: Cut by about a quarter, closing non strategically important bases is a good way to start.
Patriot Act: Oppose
Israel/Palestine: They're not perfect but I generally support Israel
Immigration: Before Trump and his nonsense I would have been considered somewhat hawkish on this. Send the National Guard to the border and give block grants to police forces in border areas. Don't build a wall, it won't work and is a waste of money. Grant amnesty to non-violent illegals already here, make immigration simpler and easier, and create a guest worker program.
Russia: Work at improving relations, don't antagonize them for no reason, coexist. The United States and Russia (as well as China) working together and having peace is vital to the security of the world. Do all of this without becoming a sock-puppet apologist for Putin's regime, like Trump is.
Afghanistan: It seems like we should really be out of there by now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies