Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:26:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 561392 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: July 27, 2005, 07:32:19 AM »

Interesting positions, Emsworth.  I suspect that we're closer on social issues than it would seem from comparing the positions posted here.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:23:52 AM »

Overall Philosophy: Left-libertarian

Social Issues

General philosophy: Left

Separation of church and state: Support

Freedom of speech: Support; oppose banning hate speech or flag burning

Right to an abortion: Support in the first two trimesters; oppose restrictions (i.e. mandatory counseling, spousal or parental notification or consent, waiting periods, etc)

Affirmative action: Oppose in its entirety

Gun rights: Support the second amendment and concealed carry (Vermont/Alaska style); oppose common restrictions (i.e. closing the "gun show loophole" non-issue, mandatory trigger locks, assault weapons ban, waiting periods, etc)

Civil unions or gay marriage: Support full same-sex marriage & adoption rights

Euthanasia: Support physician assisted suicide or euthanasia for consenting adults

Prostitution: Oppose legalization

Capital punishment: Oppose in all instances; abolish and replace with life imprisonment

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Left-libertarian

Employers and Employees: Support employers' rights

Taxation: Increase it

Spending: Decrease it

Free trade: Support

Funding of the space program: Not particularly concerned with

Foreign policy

General philosophy: Cautious isolationism

Iraq: A mess, don't really have a clue what to do
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 08:58:05 AM »

Social Issues:

General Philosophy: Liberal
Abortion: 100% pro-choice
Gay Rights: 100% pro-GLBT
Separation of Church and State: strongly in favor
Affirmative Action: oppose
Gun Control: oppose
Death Penalty: abolitionist
Censorship: oppose
Flag burning: support
Hate crimes: oppose (though as long as we have hate crimes, I support including sexual orientation)
Hate speech: support the right
Smoking: support the right
Alcohol consumption: support the right (drinking age at 21 is a hilarious joke)
Euthanasia: support
Drugs: support legal pot; oppose jail time for users of drugs; oppose six taxes
Gambling: support the right
Prostitution: support the right
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: support funding
Immigration: pro-amnesty and open borders
Environment: support all goals of environmentalism
Patriot Act: oppose

Economic Issues:

Taxes: support high and progressive taxes
Unions: support
Free trade: support
Spending: increase social spending; gut defense spending
Social Security: support
Space Program: support
Welfare: support & repeal 90s reform
Health-care: support universal not-for-profit single-payer
Education: repeal NCLB

Foreign Policy Issues:

Democracy and Trade: good things...
Anti (fill in the blank) Treaty: support pretty much all weapons bans
United Nations: support
Iraq: immediate withdrawal
Israel: withdraw all aid
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 10:54:27 AM »

An endorsement of atheism is just as bad as an endorsement of Christianity.

Who is proposing a government endorsement of atheism?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:21:03 PM »

The Pledge of Allegiance is an interesting issue indeed.  The 'under God' nonsense is a complete political albatross for anyone who dares oppose it, not that anyone in federal office would.

The better question is why we ought to have any pledge in the first place.  Regardless of any religious references it might contain.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 11:06:25 AM »

The Pledge of Allegiance is an interesting issue indeed.  The 'under God' nonsense is a complete political albatross for anyone who dares oppose it, not that anyone in federal office would.

The better question is why we ought to have any pledge in the first place.  Regardless of any religious references it might contain.
It's optional isn't it?

That doesn't explain why there needs to be a Pledge in the first place.

Either way, I can remember quite well the pressure to say the Pledge, particularly in the earlier years of schooling.  One Jehovah's Witness student who stood in respect but stayed silent during the Pledge was the subject of much suspicion and backdoor chatter.
That it would be a good thing that students should have to face this is something I vehemently disagree with.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 01:19:29 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2011, 01:38:48 AM by Ebowed »

I'm not sure I've written anything about my political philosophy in a while.

On social issues, I would be considered far-left.  I am very weary of undue religious influence on government and am generally skeptical of preserving policies if I perceive the only basis for their continued existence to be tradition.  I believe in equal rights, including on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity, and I think affirmative action can still be an appropriate tool, when used judiciously, to alleviate some of the inherent discrimination that some members of society are more likely to face.  I see any efforts to limit access to abortion or euthanasia as an affront to privacy, and oppose providing contradictory definitions of the fetus in the law (think 'Unborn Victims of Violence Act') and various other political tricks that seem to be hurled at this issue by conservative legislators.  Capital punishment should never be practiced.  Prison conditions are neglected and the fact that abuse and rape are tolerated is a tragedy.  Felons should be allowed to vote.  Nobody should be imprisoned for recreational substance abuse, and the double standard that exists with alcohol and other drugs is ridiculous.  I am also generally opposed to restrictions on alcohol or tobacco (public smoking bans, sin taxes, Sunday/late-night sales laws, etc.) as well as gambling and prostitution.

The government should guarantee a minimum living income for all of its citizens.  Workers are not provided with reasonable protections and benefits; we should be looking at a 35-hour work week, mandating businesses to provide maternal and paternal leave, guaranteeing adequate paid holidays for full time workers, better pensions, etc.  Wealth is far too concentrated and recent actions by the United States government have only accelerated this trend.  The entire system of health maintenance organizations and endless trails of subsidies and red tape should be removed entirely and replaced with a single-payer system, which would cover optional preventative health care services as well as other basics like dental.  I believe in funding abortions for low-income women as a means of offering greater access to equality.  I am highly skeptical of selective education and would be open to its banishment; certainly no government assistance should be provided to private schools whatsoever.

A perfect world would have no borders.  My foreign policy is very idealistic, with a pacifist lean, and it stems from the inescapable observation that people are largely the same wherever you may go, motivated by the same joys and concerns, and that the average person has no influence on the actions of their government or military.  Obviously, the Cuban embargo is nonsense.  Nobody should be producing nuclear weapons.  The very concept of 'illegal immigrants' or, for that matter, illegal people strikes me as intrinsically offensive.  I believe in free trade.  Every willing government should be engaging in an active and united effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Bearing all of this in mind, I am also realistic about what sort of progress can be accomplished, so I approach my political support pragmatically (that is, for the do-nothing dirtbags residing in the Democratic Party, and the generic left-wing equivalent everywhere else). Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies