Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 557885 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 14, 2015, 10:20:19 PM »

Well, time for me to do this since I don't want to go to sleep yet Curly I'm not so sure as to what I should call my ideology: it is a mix of Zionism, conservatism, capitalism, and libertarianism. That is not going to make me popular, but I was never here for that anyway.

Ideology
Social issues: Libertarian when it comes to government intervention, conservative when it comes to values.
Economic policy: Free-market capitalist/fiscal conservative/libertarian-light, with the exception of healthcare.
Foreign policy: Anti-supranationalist. Hawk. Neocon, except for the fact that I believe in spreading real freedom instead of democracy. Slightly libertarian when it comes to privacy issues.

Social Issues

Abortion: Abortion should be legal until ten weeks of pregnancy. No tax-payer money should flow to abortion clinics. My stance isn't really consequent and I'm the first one to admit that, but consequent views on abortion are by definition bizarre and undesirable.

Drug legalization: All drugs should be legal. The War on Drugs has not only been ineffective, it has been immoral. The government does not have the right to decide what one does with one's own body. The quality of popular drugs will increase if legalized. However, charity-based organizations for addiction treatment need to be supported by the government from a healthcare perspective, and the government should voice strong opposition to drug use: ruining your own body might be your own choice, but it is immoral. The government should certainly not provide places to use drugs.

Euthanasia: All people have the right to end their own lives, and euthanasia should be legal. However, a trajectory with a medic and a psychologist should be manadatory - ending your life is a method of last resort, it should not be an easy way out. In a community-based, decentralized society focused on the family, the amount of suicides - skyrocketing in our individualistic, materialistic society - will decrease.

LGBT rights: Equal marriage should be legal: the government should treat all citizens equally. At the same time, the government has no right to force people to do business with anybody. While governments do not have the right to discriminate, citizens do. Of course, a homophobic company should be boycotted by the public, but that's up to consumers. No tax-payer money should be spent on transgender surgery, but it should be legal for people to finance this privately, even though a trajectory with a psychologist would be preferable.

Gun control: I am generally favoring the American status-quo, although open carry should be legal everywhere. I support stand-your-ground laws and I oppose Constitution-Free Zones where guns are banned. Everyone should, ideally, know how to shoot and how to defend themselves.

Immigration: In the US, I am a moderate on immigration, supporting reform while opposing giving citizenship or residency to illegals. In Europe, I am against mass immigration from the third world, but in favor of giving educated people from Western countries residency. I support the free movement of goods and services that the EU established, but I would like to see this enforced in an intergovernemental treaty, not enforced by the dictatorial EU. I support Denmark's short-lived effort to take back control over its borders from the EU bureaucrats. In general, I support a combination of Canada's immigration laws for high-potential immigrants and a policy even stronger than Denmark's for low-potential-high-cost immigrants who have values that clash with Western ones (these people should be discouraged to come). If you're a serious/violent criminal and you have two passports, you should lose your Dutch passport (and right to residency in the Netherlands) after three strikes.

Prostitution: Prostitution is degrading and immoral, but it should be legal in order to protect prostitutes. However, pandering and streetwalking should be outlawed: women are not objects and pandering leads to abuse and crime. Programs for prostitutes to leave "the world" should be supported. This seems closest to the Danish model to me.

Affirmative action: I am fundamentally opposed to affirmative action, as it is racist, whereas governments should treat all citizens equally. However, private organizations are free to implement "affirmative action" policies and any other racist policies if they wish so, because there is no such thing as a right not to be discriminated against by private actors. Of course, this should lead to a public boycott.

Economic Issues

Taxation: Taxes are necessary, but too much taxation is theft. A flat income tax of around 20% should do the trick. I oppose taxing savings and I despise any form of "death tax". I am also against VAT.

Balanced budget amendment: Should be implemented in all countries, ideally.

Minimum wage: Against. Minimum wages hurt the working class and lead to unemployment. In general, a constitutional provision should force the government to restrain its influence on the economy.

Healthcare: A moral government doesn't let its poor citizens die of illness. I support providing basic public healthcare. If one wants more than that, one should look for private options. However, healthcare is one of the issues on which I'm more liberal in practice than in theory: I don't really mind if the government does more regarding healthcare. Some European countries have excellent systems. In practice, I would probably support a more (/truly) privatized version of the Dutch healthcare system. Obamacare is the worst of both worlds. Either single-payer or total privatization would be better.

Right-to-Work: I obviously support this. Companies should hire and fire people as they please.

Trade: I fully support free trade. That has to do with understanding basic economics. I support the free trade zone within the EU, I support TTIP, and if I would be American, I would certainly support NAFTA. I am against protectionism and tariff walls, which always hurt your own economy.

Climate Change (why is this listed under "economy"?): Help Third World countries prepare for the worst regarding sea-level rise, which should be the focus point of foreign aid (which should be cut for other things, except for furthering of national interests). Try to reduce emissions somewhat. Let the market do its work in finding solutions for this problem.

Foreign Policy:
EU: I support the single market, the free movements of goods and persons, and the deregulation the EU brought about. I oppose supranationalism. I support far-reaching reforms to stop the "ever closer union" from becoming a federal superstate. Brussels should be there for effective, intergovernmental opt-in cooperation. In practice, I am sceptical about the chances this kind of reforms have, so I support leaving the EU. I support the idea of a Northern European common currency for financially responsible countries.

Intelligence: While I think intelligence services are moral, legitimate, and necessary, spying on ordinary citizens has gone too far. Citizens should not be seen as a threat - citizens should be safe from threats, and the government shouldn't curb one's freedom. I support privacy laws to keep the government and overly "interested" companies out of people's business. I support some parts of the Patriot Act, but oppose others.

NATO: I'm ashamed by the European tendency to let the US pay for our expenses just because Europeans have become pacifist progressives. The NATO is a great organization and the Netherlands should spend 5% of its GDP on Defense before 2020 - at this moment, we don't even reach the bare minimum of 2% required of NATO members. The world is a dangerous place and civilized countries should stand together in fighting evil.

Cuba: Normalization of the relations is essentially a good thing, but it should have gone slower. Now, the Obama administration has once again showed its defeatist face.

Afghanistan: The worst victim of geopolitical games. This place will obviously be taken over by terrorists again. I see no real reason to be here anymore.

Iraq/Syria/ISIS: Give the Kurds and the Assyrians their own state. Bomb the hell out of ISIS. Establish "safe zones" for refugees. It's going to be a mess anyway, but let's make it somewhat less of a mess.

Iran: I'm totally opposed to the deal. The US and the NATO should make sure Iran will never have nuclear bombs - of which not Israel, but the Persian people would be the biggest victims: they will be hijacked by a dangerous regime - and the military option should have a prominent place at the negotiation table. Iran needs to improve its human rights policy drastically. Regime change should be supported and if the current situation doesn't change, military involvement might be a good option.

Israel: The eternal homeland of the Jewish people. No territorial compromise is acceptable (except for Gaza, a lost cause). In the long run, we should be moving toward a situation in which Arabs and Jews will peacefully live together, as good neighbors in one country. On the short term, increasing Jewish presence in Yehuda and Shomron is essential. Israel should immediately ban NGOs that seek to end its existence as a Jewish state from operating in Israel (including Yehuda and Shomron). Terrorists should get the death penalty and soldiers' rights should be preserved better. Jews should have the right to pray at the Temple Mount. Israel should gradually become independent from US aid: let's work together as equals. Egypt should be pushed by the US and Israel into incorporating Gaza. Recognize "Palestine"... as a terrorist organization.

UN: The playfield for dictators. All decent countries should leave this joke of an organization.

92.5%. Right to work, taxation, and abortion are the only ones I have anything more than minor disagreements with you on.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 02:28:44 PM »

Social:
Guns: Ban all those that have been in military use at any time in the preceding thirty years. Make other dangerous and former military weapons require a specific permit for each separate one. Mandate background checks, a 96 hour waiting period, and a mental health test.
Marriage: Support federal SSM.
Abortion: Federal ban after 24 weeks with exceptions for rape, incest, mother's life, and sometimes mother's health. Allow states to ban after 12 weeks, with mandatory exceptions as above.
Immigration: Background check, 72 hour waiting period. Generally open borders, but must register before entering country.
Affirmative action: Federal agencies must use.
Transgender bathroom: Allow businesses to determine.

Economics:
Healthcare: Collins-Cassidy(with modifications) eventually to Wyden-Bennett.
Budget: Balance by replacing welfare with basic income for those at or below 200% of their state's poverty line. Basic income - 66.67% of the state's average personal income.
Taxes: Federal sales tax of 2.5%; those at or below 250% of the poverty line or in the immediate family of a military member(who was wounded or has served for 5+ years)/veterans are exempt. Something similar to the Simpson-Bowles plan on taxes.
Regulations/Intervention: Centralize authority, localize solutions. Have agencies like the EPA work alongside community leaders rather than intervene "for" them. Mandate state subsidization of 25% of the costs of the parts that work in their state. Re-implement Glass-Steagall.
Overall: Somewhat similar to the Simpson-Bowles plan with the above modifications.

Foreign policy/trade:
- Prioritize India as an ally.
- Trade deal with Canada, India, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Singapore, Taiwan, and Australia. Perhaps include Germany, France, Spain, and the U. K.
- Attempt to transition more into Indian imports rather than Chinese imports.
- Slowly weaken and eventually cut ties with Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey.
- Ask for democratic concessions in Cuba once Castro dies. In exchange, offer some small amount of money, release of the embargo, and eventual immigration/emigration.

Reform:
- Allow Puerto Rico to become a state.
- Allow D. C. to have 2 Senators and a Representative.
- Total donations to all PACs and campaign supporting a candidate may not exceed $2,500 per individual. Minors may not be given money by parents to donate.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 11:49:57 PM »

tschandler: Would you support replacing welfare with a basic income of up to, say, $20,000 for those who make less than $20,000?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:22:39 PM »

Ideology: Moderate Conservative

Abortion: Pro Life with the normal exceptions

Climate Change: Is real.

Same-Sex Marriage: I believe it is a settled issue.

Drugs: Support marijuana legalization

Death Penalty: Strongly Support

Euthanasia: Oppose

Gun Control: Strongly pro-gun rights

Affirmative Action: Strongly oppose

Political correctness: Not a fan.

Immigration: Secure the border. Know who we are letting in. Supports DACA and would support DREAM Act

Muslim Ban: Would support a travel ban from high-risk countries

Minimum Wage: Support an increase. Not $15 though

Energy: All of the above, including coal.

War/Foreign: Lean hawk. We should make sure we are the strongest country in the world but I do not support regime change or nation building.

Interesting. What about healthcare, income taxes, a federal sales tax, NASA, and welfare? Those are the main issues I see you left out.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I find it strange to end such detailed policy with such vague words. "Reform," "More progressive... system," and "streamlined system" are buzzwords - they could mean almost anything, and so mean nothing.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 08:46:52 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2018, 06:43:24 PM by Kingpoleon »

- Allow states to ban abortion with >55% of the vote at/after 24 or 30 weeks, with exceptions for rape, incest, and life of the mother.
- Fully support same sex marriage; should issue federal legislation upholding the ruling of SCOTUS.
- Deport illegal immigrants convicted of felonies.
- Path to citizenship for non-felon immigrants.
- Secure border, raise immigration limits by 50% eventually, rigorous background checks and maximum of a four year wait time.
- Fully support background checks and mental health tests to buy guns.
- Healthy Americans Act.
- Wyden-Ryan Medicare Reform.
- Replace Social Security and all welfare besides SNAP/HUD funding with $12,000 relative basic income for those making below said amount and those past the age of 65 - say, $9,000 a year for unmarried people not past retirement, $21,000 a year for a couple not past retirement; $12,000 for unmarried people past retirement, $27,000 a year for a married couple past retirement.

- Transaction Tax
Wall Steet: 0.5%(+$125 B.)
Bonds: 0.1%(+$75 B.)
Derivatives: 0.05%(+$25 B.)
Futures/Swaps: 0.02%(+$25 B.)

- Capital Gains Tax
0%/12.0%/16.0%

- Payroll Tax
15.0% payroll tax (6.5% from employer, 5.5% from employee, 1.5% each for Medicare)

- Value-Added Tax(+$1.3 trillion)
6.5%
Rebate of up to $4,500 (with receipts) [$900 Credit each for up to five kids for married couple, or up to three kids for a single parent]

- Income Tax:
10%: <$10,000; <$20,000
15%: $10,000-$30,000; $20,000-$60,000
20%: $30,000-$75,000; $60,000-$150,000
30%: $75,000-$175,000; $150,000-$225,000
35%: $175,000-$325,000; $225,000-$400,000
42.5%: $325,000-$400,000; $400,000-$475,000
47.5%: >$400,000; >$475,000
Child Tax Credit: $2,900 per child(up to 3 for single parent, up to 5 for married couple)

- Raise gas tax by 10-15 cents, and spend the money on infrastructure. Cut back by 15-20 cents in three years.

- Corporate Taxes:
7.5%: <$300,000
17.5%: $300,000-$750,000
27.5%: $750,000-$20.75 million
17.5%: >$20.75 million
Streamline several deductions and tax credits

Estate/Inheritance tax cut to 40%, lowered to $3.5 million

- $10.50 federal minimum wage by 2022
- $75 billion NASA spending, with the goal of two bases on the Moon by 2030 and at least one very major base/colony on Mars by 2035
- $40 billion funding for Rojava, SNC, and the SDC - negotiate an alliance between these three groups.
- Stronger alliance with India.(slowly cut our relations with Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey.)
- Free trade deal with Thailand, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Mexico, Canada, New Zealand, and Argentina.
- Raise all military members’s salary by $2,000.
- International coalition of Japan, South Korea, India, Russia, the European Union, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, the U. K., and America should economically pressure China into forcing Kim Jong Un down and instating Kim Han Sol into a democratic transition. If they refuse, all countries involved will reduce trade with China by, say, 60%, and place certain sanctions on them. If we’re lucky, Wang Yang might be Xi Jinping’s successor, and if that happens we have a good shot at improving relations with China.
- We should consider signing a trade deal with India, South Africa, Mozambique, Indonesia, Myanmar, Kenya, Australia and Uganda. This would allow us a strong trade boost in the Indian Ocean.
- League of Free and Democratic Nations, inviting all nations with a 6.0 average(not counting the “Functioning of Government” score) to join; Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Mauritius, Malta, Uruguay, and Botswana should be the governing members of this League
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 01:40:57 AM »

Social Policy
Abortion: Don`t care if you have one
Drugs: Should be treated like alcohol, if you want it to be banned in your state or county then you can have it banned if you don`t then it will be legal there
Gay Marriage: Support
Death penalty: Support
Church and State: Uphold First and Fourteenth Amendment
Stem cell research: Support
PATRIOT Act: Repeal as violation of Fourth Amendment
Gun control: Fine where it is
Assisted suicide: Neutral
Gambling: Allow it

Electoral Reform
Term Limits: Only for president, vice-president and governors
Statehood: Oppose none of the current territories are large enough or are too much like Latin and South American countries
Voting Age: 18.
Gerrymandering: Should be drawn by independent, non partisan commissions
Voter ID: Support voter id laws

Economic Issues
Minimum Wage: Raise it
Taxation: Keep present tax levels
Healthcare: Support ACA, but it could be improved
Military: Should have its budget cut and end pointless programs like the F-35

Foreign Policy
War: Should only defend countries that are being invaded
Israel-Palestine: Israel should keep its current borders
Nukes: Neutral
Foreign Aid: Against when it is given to countries that are extremely corrupt since it would just be embezzled from

Is that code for “Puerto Rico and D. C. are too Hispanic?”
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 01:18:27 AM »

How does D. C. act like a Latin American government? How does Puerto Rico?

Puerto Rico has a pretty successful government that, much like our own, has fallen too heavily into debt.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 03:00:37 PM »

How does D. C. act like a Latin American government? How does Puerto Rico?

Puerto Rico has a pretty successful government that, much like our own, has fallen too heavily into debt.

You were the one that brought up D.C. I was talking about the oversea territories.

Okay. How does Puerto Rico?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »

Same-Sex Marriage: I’m strongly in favor of SSM. The government should actively encourage homosexuality.
Uh, what?
Nothing. Drink the Kool-Aid.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 01:36:20 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2019, 02:41:06 PM by Kingpoleon »

- Allow states to ban abortion at/after 24 or 30 weeks, with exceptions for rape, incest, and life of the mother.
- Fully support same sex marriage; should issue federal legislation upholding the ruling of SCOTUS.
- Deport illegal immigrants convicted of felonies.
- Path to citizenship for non-felon immigrants.
- Secure border, raise immigration limits by 50% eventually, rigorous background checks and maximum of a four year wait time.
- Reduce maximum citizenship time to six years, and two years for the children, siblings, and spouses of citizens.
- Reduce voting age to 16.
- Fully support background checks and mental health tests to buy guns, as well as a 72 hour initial waiting period and registry.
- Immigration limits will be altered and raised by 50% over the course of a couple years.

- Reforming and streamlining regulatory processes, requiring any and all regulations not legislatively created to be subject to approval and comments by a regulation body composed of economists, former business and labor union officers, and retired workers.
- Reduce age to serve in the Senate and House to 20, and reduce the age to serve as President to 25.
- Allow anyone who has been a citizen for over six years to run for Congress, and allow anyone who has been a citizen for over twelve years to run for President.
- Impose a five term limit on the Senate and a six term limit on the House of Representatives.
- Switch the House to a nationwide, PR list system, with a four year term and 320 members, with another 13 members elected by D. C. and the territories using a list, PR system.
- Switch the Senate to a four year term, elected by IRV alternating which seat in each state every 2 years.

- Healthy Americans Act.
- Wyden-Ryan Medicare Reform.
- Replace Social Security and all welfare besides SNAP/HUD funding with $12,000 relative basic income for those making below said amount and those past the age of 65 - say, $9,000 a year for unmarried people not past retirement, $21,000 a year for a couple not past retirement; $12,000 for unmarried people past retirement, $27,000 a year for a married couple past retirement.

- Transaction Tax
Wall Steet: 0.1%(+$25 B.)
Bonds: 0.1%(+$75 B.)
Derivatives: 0.05%(+$25 B.)
Futures/Swaps: 0.02%(+$25 B.)

- Capital Gains Tax
0%/12.0%/18.0%

- Payroll Tax
16.0% payroll tax (6.5% from employer, 6.5% from employee, 1.5% each for Medicare)

- Value-Added Tax(+$1.1 trillion)
5.0%
Rebate of up to $5,400 (with receipts) [$900 Credit each for up to six kids for married couple, or up to three kids for a single parent]

- Income Tax:
10%: <$10,000; <$20,000
15%: $10,000-$30,000; $20,000-$60,000
20%: $30,000-$75,000; $60,000-$150,000
30%: $75,000-$175,000; $150,000-$225,000
35%: $175,000-$325,000; $225,000-$400,000
40%: $325,000-$400,000; $400,000-$500,000
42.5%: $400,000-$450,000; $500,000-$600,000
45%: $450,000-$700,000; $600,000-$1,000,000
47.5%: $700,000-$1,000,000; $1,000,000-$1,500,000
49.5%: $1,000,000+; $1,500,000+
Child Tax Credit: $2,900 per child(up to 3 for single parent, up to 5 for married couple)

- Raise gas tax by 10-15 cents, and spend the money on infrastructure. Cut back by 15-20 cents in three years.

- Corporate Taxes:
12.5%: <$300,000
19.5%: $300,000-$750,000
29.5%: $750,000-$20.75 million
22.5%: >$20.75 million
Streamline several deductions and tax credits

Estate/Inheritance tax hike to 55%, lowered to $3 million

- $11.00 minimum wage by 2022
- $95 billion NASA spending, with the goal of two bases on the Moon by 2030 and at least one very major base/colony on Mars by 2035
- National railway system, going through the 100 biggest metros in the country. The goal of this will be to reduce reliance on cars and standard energy sources.
- Transition away from coal and most fossil fuels, towards renewable power and natural gas.
- $400,000,000 in auditing the federal government
- 9.5% cut in all spending barring NASA and salaries
- Presidential salary and Congress’s salary decreased by 15%

- $40 billion funding for Rojava, SNC, and the SDC - negotiate an alliance between these three groups.
- Stronger alliance with India.(slowly cut our relations with Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey.)
- Free trade deal with Thailand, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Mexico, Canada, New Zealand, and Argentina.
- Raise all military members’s salary by $2,000.
- International coalition of Japan, South Korea, India, Russia, the European Union, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, the U. K., and America should economically pressure China into forcing Kim Jong Un down and instating Kim Han Sol into a democratic transition. If they refuse, all countries involved will reduce trade with China by, say, 60%, and place certain sanctions on them. If we’re lucky, Wang Yang might be Xi Jinping’s successor, and if that happens we have a good shot at improving relations with China.
- We should consider signing a trade deal with India, South Africa, Mozambique, Indonesia, Myanmar, Kenya, Australia and Uganda. This would allow us a strong trade boost in the Indian Ocean.
- League of Free and Democratic Nations, inviting all nations committed to freedom and democracy to join; Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Mauritius, Malta, Uruguay, and Botswana should be the governing members of this League
-
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies