Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:45:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 557939 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« on: February 14, 2015, 07:04:44 PM »

Healthcare System: I see Obamacare as an important step to the future. However, I believe the true goal should be universal single payer healthcare. Focus on preventive care first. I support patent reform and tort reform to lower costs.
Social Security: Raise the contribution cap, lower benefits for the rich possibly
Taxes: I believe in a progressive but simpler income/corporation tax, where loopholes for the rich and corporations are closed. Also, I love the idea of a Robin Hood Tax. Don't mind high sin taxes too.
Campaign Finance: Strict limits on donations and reforms for more transparency need to be enacted.
Banking: Pass Glass Steagall, break up big banks, don't bail out banks, support community banking.
Federal Reserve: Nationalize it.
Minimum Wage: Raise to $12.00 an hour and index for inflation thereafter
Free Trade: Prefer fair trade over free trade, implement protective tariffs against human rights abusers.
Unions: I support strong unions and stand against "right to work".
Welfare Reform: Crack down on waste and fraud, end "workfare"
Farm Regulation: Change the regulatory system to be fair towards family farmers, legalize hemp, legalize raw milk, loosen rules on urban farming.
GMO's: Label them, but they have very beneficial potential.
Environmental Regulations: Carbon tax or cap and trade are necessary, ensure that polluters are severely punished
Energy: Pivot away from oil, coal, and gas and towards nuclear, solar, wind, and fusion power
Cars: End the stupid ban on personally importing cars newer than 25 years old, stop inspecting cars before re-registration, lower regulations on carmakers
Education: Ensure that schools are well funded. Fight the race-to-the-top standardized testing mentality that currently pervades schools.
Foreign Conflicts: Generally isolationist, although I do believe in drone strikes and airstrikes as a form of limited military intervention. Any intervention should be done multilaterally and constitutionally.
Iran: Ease sanctions on them, work towards a nuclear deal.
Cuba: End the embargo once and for all.
Palestine: Recognize the Palestinian nation.
Surveillance: Not much of a problem with the Patriot Act. Make sure it stays within legal bounds, but preserve the NSA for national security purposes.
Foreign Aid: No problem with it, as long as we follow up to make sure it ends up in the right hands.
Military Budget: We really need to cut it. Now.
Gun Control: Ban assault rifles, institute universal gun and ammo background checks
Marijuana: Keep it illegal, but shift away from imprisonment and more to punitive fines.
Smoking: Ban smoking in public places except for smokeshops, bars, and a few designated smoking areas.
Gay Marriage: Equal rights yo, this is 2015
Abortion: Personally strongly opposed to abortion, but I am pro-choice. Safe, rare, and legal. Birth control needs to have widespread use.
Prostitution: Completely oppose legalization.
Feminism: I support gender equality, but do not consider myself a "feminist" per se.
Affirmative Action: Strong supporter of race-based affirmative action. I also support gender based affirmative action in some cases.
College: I believe that for public colleges, the US needs to shift to the Oregon Plan.
Police Brutality: Police officers need to use body cameras. More crisis training and non lethal methods need to be emphasized. Police militarization should be scaled back.
Immigration: Multiculturalism strengthens our nation. Help undocumented immigrants attain documented status and eventually citizenship.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »

Healthcare System: I see Obamacare as an important step to the future. However, I believe the true goal should be universal single payer healthcare. Focus on preventive care first. I support patent reform and tort reform to lower costs.
Social Security: Raise the contribution cap, lower benefits for the rich possibly
Taxes: I believe in a progressive but simpler income/corporation tax, where loopholes for the rich and corporations are closed. Also, I love the idea of a Robin Hood Tax. Don't mind high sin taxes too.
Campaign Finance: Strict limits on donations and reforms for more transparency need to be enacted.
Voter ID: I oppose these provisions
Gerrymandering: Control redistricting via independent commissions
Voting Age: Lower to 16 on the local level
New States: DC and Puerto Rico should both be admitted
Banking: Pass Glass Steagall, break up big banks, don't bail out banks, support community banking.
Federal Reserve: Nationalize it.
Minimum Wage: Raise to $12.00 an hour and index for inflation thereafter
Free Trade: Prefer fair trade over free trade, implement protective tariffs against human rights abusers.
Unions: I support strong unions and stand against "right to work".
Welfare Reform: Crack down on waste and fraud, end "workfare"
Farm Regulation: Change the regulatory system to be fair towards family farmers, legalize hemp, legalize raw milk, loosen rules on urban farming.
GMO's: Label them, but they have very beneficial potential.
Environmental Regulations: Carbon tax or cap and trade are necessary, ensure that polluters are severely punished, ratify the Kyoto Protocol
Energy: Pivot away from oil, coal, and gas and towards nuclear, solar, wind, and fusion power
Cars: End the stupid ban on personally importing cars newer than 25 years old, stop inspecting cars before re-registration, lower emissions regulations on carmakers
Education: Ensure that schools are well funded. Fight the race-to-the-top standardized testing mentality that currently pervades schools.
Foreign Conflicts: Generally isolationist, although I do believe in drone strikes and airstrikes as a form of limited military intervention. Act when necessary to end major human rights violations or extreme regional instability. I do not like ground wars though. Any intervention should be done multilaterally and constitutionally.
Iran: Ease sanctions on them, work towards a nuclear deal.
Cuba: End the embargo once and for all.
Russia: Preserve economic sanctions, provide military aid to Ukraine, and station troops in Europe
ISIS: Ramp up airstrikes and surveillance, work with Iran
Palestine: Recognize the Palestinian nation. End military aid to Israel and treat both nations equally.
Surveillance: Not much of a problem with the Patriot Act. Make sure it stays within legal bounds, but preserve the NSA for national security purposes.
Foreign Aid: No problem with it, as long as we follow up to make sure it ends up in the right hands.
Drones: I think drone strikes are effective, efficient, and should be used to fight terror
Military Budget: We really need to cut it. Now. Cut Pentagon overhead costs, cut the active combat budget, cut wasteful spending, but keep the A-10 and F-35 going
Gun Control: Ban assault rifles, institute universal gun and ammo background checks
Marijuana: Keep it illegal, but shift away from imprisonment and more to punitive fines.
Smoking: Ban smoking in public places except for smokeshops, bars, and a few designated smoking areas.
Gay Marriage: Equal rights yo, this is 2015
Abortion: Personally strongly opposed to abortion, but I am pro-choice until around viability (22 weeks or so is a good cutoff imo), at which point I am pro-life with the usual exceptions. Safe, rare, and legal. Birth control needs to have widespread use.
Prostitution: Completely oppose legalization.
Physician Assisted Suicide: Oppose
Feminism: I support gender equality, but do not consider myself a "feminist" per se.
Affirmative Action: Strong supporter of race-based affirmative action. I also support gender based affirmative action in some cases.
College: I believe that for public colleges, the US needs to shift to the Oregon Plan.
Police Brutality: Police officers need to use body cameras. More crisis training and non lethal methods need to be emphasized. Police militarization should be scaled back.
Crime: Fight crime using a data based approach to predict and preempt criminal activity
Immigration: Multiculturalism strengthens our nation. Help undocumented immigrants attain documented status and eventually citizenship.
Edits in italics.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 06:23:16 PM »

Ideology
Social: Conservative on some issues left leaning on others
Economic: Center-left, populist
Foreign: Realist
Registration: Democrat (and always will be) and Liberal Party of Canada

Social
Abortion: Pro-life yet semi pro-choice. I believe abortion should be made as rare as possible and that it should be banned after 20 weeks with the regular exceptions. I strongly oppose repealing the Hyde Amendment.
Immigration: The system needs to be reformed to provide those here currently with a path to citizenship and to make the legal immigration easier. I'm generally pretty pro-immigrant.
Same Sex Marriage: I think marriage equality is great.
Death Penalty: I oppose the death penalty.
Drug Policy: Shift away from prison time for low-level drug possession-potheads should not be imprisoned. For harder drugs, focus more on rehabilitation, drug education to encourage avoidance, and cracking down on pill mills/over-prescription. Also make sure officers can administer Narcan.
Guns: I support the second amendment. I also believe background checks should be universal and am conflicted on an assault rifle ban.
Euthanasia: I do support physician assisted suicide.
Black Lives Matter: BLM has brought many important issues to the forefront of the political debate and I can confidently say I believe Black Lives Matter.
Transgender Issues: I don't care what bathroom people are in-this is a ploy to distract folks from real issues. Also we need to fight hate crimes against Trans people.
Political Correctness: We'd all be better off if people just respected eachother. However, PC, while useful as a concept, has its limits and is often abused.
Muslim Ban/Testing: Trump's ideas about Muslims are Islamophobic and bigoted.

Economic
Taxes: I support a more progressive tax code (and a simpler one) where corporate loopholes and offshore loopholes are closed. The tax system (through EITC) should also be used to combat poverty.
Social Security/Medicare: Lift the taxable income cap, target waste and fraud, very gradually raise the retirement age.
Trade: I strongly oppose TPP and believe that NAFTA was done recklessly. Killing TPP is a priority but I recognize that going back on NAFTA would not work out. Global trade is important but needs to be done right.
Healthcare: Ideally the US would move to a Medicare-for-all system. With the ACA in place however, there needs to be more incentives to help small business, reform of the Cadillac Tax, opened drug importation from Canada, and enforcement of anti-trust laws to tackle high prices.
Deficit/Debt: Make the government more efficient. Target waste, consolidate redundancies, computerize records, etc.
Minimum Wage: Raise the federal minimum to $12 an hour and allow states and localities to increase it further. Close the server loophole.
Campaign Finance Reform: Overturn Citizens United immediately.
Unions: I support card-check bills and strongly oppose RTW. Supporting unions is a great way to bolster the middle class.
Energy: All of the above for now with a transition to green energy. Build Keystone XL and DAPL but invest more in incentives and research on renewable energy.
Job Creation: Invest in infrastructure, especially in disadvantaged areas.
Education: Lower interest rates on student loans and work with colleges to curb rising overhead costs. Also allow for refinancing of student loan debt and perhaps even loan forgiveness in some cases. For K-12, I strongly support public schools.

Foreign
ISIS: Continue airstrikes and work with regional allies to totally defeat the group. Also provide humanitarian aid to the region to counteract ISIS' ideological pull.
Russia: Be tougher on Russia over their abuses and expansionary drive.
China: We must recognize that China is one of our close partners and also a potential threat. Work with diplomatic and economic might to counteract expansion while collaborating on common ground like fighting climate change.
Cuba: Open up more diplomatic and economic channels. Close Gitmo.
Iran: I support the Iran Deal.
Israel/Palestine: I think the US needs to be the face of reason that discourages violence and seeks a two-state solution. Israel is a key ally of ours and we should maintain that strong bond while working with them to bring about peace.
Syria/Refugees: The US needs to step up and take more refugees (with proper screening processes of course) but also needs to urge nations like Saudi Arabia to take more. Also, we should provide aid to those in camps and villages ravaged by violence.
NATO: We should continue full support for NATO.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies