Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:43:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 561185 times)
GaussLaw
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:36:17 PM »

Now, of course, lack of popular control of the government is a bad thing when we are discussing fascist governments like Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy. But in my ideal state, the lack of popular control would not be a problem, because the government would act on behalf of the people, like a caring parent acts on behalf of their children, while not allowing them full control over their own affairs for the same reason a caring parent does not allow children to control their own affairs, because manipulators can push them into making terrible decisions for themselves.

It's people like you that make me want to dash to the GOP, even though I disagree a lot with their policies.

I'll get more detailed later, but the essence is:
Foreign policy:  depends on the situation; support strong military but also one that does not get involved easily
Social Issues:  I'm liberal on abortion/gay marriage, but oppose legalizing drugs/prostitution and support restrictions like Stop and Frisk, wiretapping, etc.(tend to value security over civil liberty, except in egregious violations like the NSA)
Economic issues:  Reform Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security, invest more in alternative energies, keep tax code progressive but reduce business taxes, expand aid to poor, promote upward mobility
GaussLaw
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »

Reform Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security

expand aid to poor, promote upward mobility

Something's not right here...

Reform doesn't necessarily mean gut.  For instance, I am in favor of means-testing so richer people are not eligible for as much in social security benefits as well as possibly removing the income cap for social security taxes.  Medicare/Medicaid need reform to keep them solvent and not blowing a hole in our budget, as anyone who reads CBO graphs can attest to. 

We spend far less on a lot of aid to the poor compared to "the big 3"(I know Medicaid helps poor people, but I'm talking about a lot of community-based stuff as well as certain investments in education).

For instance, I favor a strong, strong investment in Boys and Girls clubs for after-school programs and a significant emphasis on STEM fields. With regards to upward mobility, in addition to education, I am a big believer in spending more on job training and vocational education for all ages.  A lot of money should also be deployed on the ground to help address root problems with gangs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies