Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:29:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 560720 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« on: June 03, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »
« edited: August 11, 2014, 09:20:56 AM by Governor Cranberry »

I just realized I didn't do this when I registered, so here we go:

Social Policy:
Abortion: Already starting with a tough one. I find it quite funny how everyone here has total positions, yet I don't think any of them would know what to do if they were in that situation. I think, you must be really desperate if you consider it, and even more desperate if you want to do it. And the guilt and shame you have for the rest of your life must be very hard to bear. So totally legalizing it? I don't know, maybe...
GaySame Sex Marriage: It's a shame that we even have to discuss this in the 21st century. Of course legalize!
Drugs: Well, I think we can all agree the War on Drugs has failed. And should it really be the government's responsibility to save one from oneself? (I know I have a really libertarian approach here) So, legalize most of them, I'd say, maybe all of them, I don't really know. De-criminalize of course all drug-issues.  
Stem Cell Research: I don't think the government should be in the way of scientific progress.
Death Penalty: I for one don't think I'm in the position to judge over a person's right to live. I don't particular like the death penalty, even for the most horrendous crimes.
Gun control: Excessive control, but more important educate young people that they use their guns, if they have to do, in an appropiate way.
Prostitution: Well, if they do it willingly, why not? Stronger measures against pimps and forced prostritution, though.
Euthanasia: If a person, or this person's next relative should the person not be able to react anymore, really wants it; why should we let them suffer?

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage:Raise it to 14$ for now, then bind it to economical growth rate. Rise other wages until a certain level by the same percentage, though.
Welfare: Everyone should have a low basic income exactly or a bit over the poverty line, which should be below the lowest wages however. People working part-time and earning less than this basic income should be paid a part of it, that makes their income higher.
Right-to-Work: Such laws are barbaric.
Taxation: Cut taxes for the poor, increase them for the rich.
Healthcare: Completely public-owned single-payer system.
Social Security: Keep your private hands off social security!
Trade: The idea of Free Trade is great, the world however is uneuqal, and not until every nation is at about the same level, and every human being has the same chances, free trade will always be at the expense of one or the other trade partner.                          
Education: All forms of education shall be free, as education is the key to a nation's success. Especially fund lesser priviliged areas, while no further funding to more priviliged areas, until every student has equal chances and an equal position to start his life from.
Balanced Budget Amendment: As long as a government is able to repay its debts, why shouldn't it make new, when it needs money? The whole system is odd, and at some time will crash, but until then - why not making new debts? It is evidently working, as long as the economy is working.

Foreign Policy and National Security

Afghanistan: Should have never got in.
Iraq: Should have never got in.
Iran: Diplomacy is far better than a war.
Syria: It's very hard to tell who's bad and who's good in Syria. Help the people with huminitarian aid, but else keep out.
Cuba: Oh come on... If you legitemately want to keep the embargo up, you should make one to China as well.
Military Spending: Cut extremely.
PATRIOT Act: I can't really combine that piece of legilsation with the american ideal of Freedom, you all are so proud of. Can you help me, 'muricans?
NSA Spying: Not even considering that they are spying on allies, I wouldn't want that as American. Practically the same answer as above.
Palestine: Should have been recognized a long time ago. (My government is no better here, though.)
Israel: Of course, Isreal has a perfectly legitimate right to exist. It should however not recieve any better treatment than Palestine. (Here you have it - I'm a nazi)
Immigration: Make it miuch easier to come to your country, 'muricans. (After all, maybe at some point I would like to get there too Tongue)
Guantanamo Bay: Well, apart that the area is technically Cuban territory, that prison there is a violation of about every international treaty I can come up with. I'd be ashamed if I were an American.

Environment
Climate Change: Climate change is happening. We should do everything we can to slow it down, and minimize its effects.
Green Energy: In my dream world, the total electricity would be gained by water, wind, sun, geothermics... every single one of these futuristic technolgies little green men from sector X7B-T will teach us of.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Kill it with fire!

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: It makes presidential elections different from every other country's. That's about the only positive thing I can come up with.
Gerrymandering: Multi-member districts drawn by an independent, non-partisan comission.
Term limits: I think the current way of doing things is sufficient.
Voter ID: I'm quite a fan of the Austrian system - you get sent your invitation to voting, you take that letter to the poll, you vote. Plus - voting per letter is the future!
Compulsory Voting: If people don't want to vote and decide their future, why should they be forced to?
Voter Registration: Voter registration should be automatic.
Statehood: If the people in the territory are for statehood - boom, you become a state. Puerto Rico and DC should be - DC maybe as part of Maryland.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies