Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:08:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 561249 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« on: June 18, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »
« edited: June 18, 2014, 09:29:14 PM by Rockefeller GOP »

SOCIAL POLICY
Abortion: I'm pro-choice except in the third trimester.  If it's third trimester, I think it should only be legal in the cases of rape, incest or if the life of the mother is in danger.
Same-Sex Marriage: I support it, and I do not think it should be left to any states.
Drugs: I support legalizing marijuana, but I'm not sure about how I feel about harder drugs ... I might support legalizing use of harder drugs only if they're being used in a private home, but again I'm quite conflicted on this.
Stem-Cell Research: I am morally conflicted on it, but at this point I support it, assuming its research helps save lives in the future.
Death Penalty: I oppose it in most cases, but I support it for child rapists/murderers ... Sorry, I'm not going to defend that opinion in any other way than I think those people have lost their right to life.
Gun Control: I support universal background checks but nothing past that ... It infringes on law-abiding citizens' rights and does not work.
Affirmative Action: I'm against it.  It's outdated and racist, both to Whites and minorities.
Prostitution: I oppose it.  There's too much potential for human trafficking, and that's reason enough to oppose it, but the penalty shouldn't be overly severe.
Euthanasia: I guess I support it with serious moral reservations ... It just seems wrong, but if that person is able to consent, who am I to say anything?
Immigration: I support amnesty to those who have families here.  It's just not fiscally practical to deport all of those people ... I also support an easier path to citizenship.  With that said, once we've taken care of that stuff, crack down on border security.

FISCAL POLICY
Minimum Wage: I support tying it to inflation from this point forward, but I do not support making it a comfortable, long term living wage; that defeats the purpose.  It also kills jobs if it gets too high.
Welfare: It's necessary at a certain fundamental level, but it is often abused and needs to be reformed.
Unions: Outdated and irrational organizations that are bad for business.
Taxation: Cut taxes on everyone, including the successful, I mean "rich."  I'm not sure if I support a flat tax, but everyone should pay less than they do now.
Healthcare: Privatize it.
Social Security: It's important and was a decent idea, though it wasn't managed very well (as we're seeing now).
Trade: I would have been a protectionist back in the day because that's what would have been good for American businesses in our developing economy, but in the modern era, American businesses benefit much more from more neoliberal policies that enable free trade.
Education: I support vouchers.
BBA: I support it with a few emergency situations where we could go over our limit.

FOREIGN POLICY
I'm mostly a hawk and a believer in peace through strength.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »

SOCIAL POLICY
Abortion: I'm pro-choice except in the third trimester.  If it's third trimester, I think it should only be legal in the cases of rape, incest or if the life of the mother is in danger.
Stem-Cell Research: I am morally conflicted on it, but at this point I support it, assuming its research helps save lives in the future.

What leads someone to be morally conflicted over stem cell research and pro-choice at the same time? Generally people who have doubts about the morality of stem cell research are referring to embryonic stem cell research and have a problem with destroying embryos. I haven't really encountered anyone who has unambiguously voiced moral qualms about induced pluripotent "adult" stem cell research. What are your concerns here?

Exactly what you stated, and I should also say that I have serious moral issues with abortion and most definitely oppose it personally.  However, I have come to the personal decision that no one can make that decision except for the woman; I think it sets a dangerous precedent to force (by law) a human being to extract something from their own body, even if that thing is alive.  I know that might sound like a horrific view to someone who's pro-life, but always remember that abortion is a deeply conflicting view for the majority of people on both sides of the debate.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:23:50 PM »

If you mean Woodrow Wilson, then you might want to invest in some more liberal economic views...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies