Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 557922 times)
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: July 08, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »

Right-wing
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #501 on: July 08, 2010, 08:01:38 PM »

It may be flavorful, but the flavor isn't good.

Totally disagree. Bison is amazing. It's almost always a better cut of meat in my experience, especially when you're making burgers.
Chili
Rookie

« Reply #502 on: July 10, 2010, 10:12:35 AM »

General Philosophy: Communitarian

Taxes: Ought to be low on individuals and high on their employers. This notion that low taxes attracts industry is self-evidently false, or else the Western states would be bastions of business.

Employers and Employees: The right to unionize is inherent in the right to peaceable assembly and as such is guaranteed to us in our Constitution. Now, there are times when unions can be harmful to the public good, as was the case during the 1970s and 1980s, and their excess and corruption need to be systematically stemmed. But when they work, unions are the greatest guarantors of economic equality conceivable, and we need more of them, not less.

Free trade: I am a fair-trader. It is hypocritical for the Western world to rely upon Third World goods for raw material without first paying them enough to purchase the goods then produced.

Social Security: There needs to be an income cap on eligibility - those who made, say, over two hundred thousand dollars a year while employed ought to be prohibited from being fully eligible for social security.

Space Program: I oppose it. Too often the space program serves as little more than government pork.

Welfare:  Has been decimated by three decades of neo-liberalism. When the social safety net is re-established in this nation, however, its benefits ought to go to rural and urban citizen alike.

Healthcare: Is an issue I'm not familiar enough with to comment on. My 'gut instinct', however, is for greater Federal involvement.

Education: Is too often neglectful of local desires. I fully support Federal funding of education, but at the same time would like to see a greater emphasis on those values that all Americans share be made part of the curriculum.

Minimum Wage: Needs to be much higher than at present. How do companies expect their goods to be sold if there's nobody around to purchase them?

Regulation:  I reject entirely the perversion of the free-market ideal offered by modern conservatives. In its place I prefer to see an economy centered around human need, rather than individual want. Where corporations have destroyed local thrift, it ought to be made to pay for it. Where it destroys God's Earth, it ought to feel its pain.

Infrastructure: Has been entirely destroyed by previous Administrations, and while I'm supportive of Obama's efforts to repair our highways, it will only contribute to our dependency on oil in the long term. What we need now is a massive public project to not only restore but to revolutionize our current mode of transport.

Energy Policy: Nuclear, geo-thermal, solar -- I favor all of it, dependent upon local conditions.

Environment:  God created the world and takes pleasure in it (Psalm 104). He has left it up to humanity to rule over it and take care of all creation (Gen. 1:28). The Psalms tell us that creation is not only given for our use, but that all creation--animals, plants, hills and sky--is intended to praise and glorify the Lord (Psalm 148). When humanity, through greed and short-sightedness, weakens and damages the earth, we are guilty of wasting not only a precious resource, but of defacing a beautiful work that God has made. These "Christians" - and let me assure you that they are not - who scoff at environmentalism scoff at God Himself, and will be punished accordingly for it.
Chili
Rookie

« Reply #503 on: July 10, 2010, 10:19:29 AM »

Social Isuses: Communitarian

Abortion: Oppose on all grounds. Even the much-vaunted "life of the mother" argument carries no water with me.

Separation of Church and State: Is a shield used by those who would corrupt America to foist their nihilism on an unsuspecting people.

Marriage: Is subject natural law, like all of man's activities.

Affirmative Action: I wholeheartedly support Affirmative Action. We cannot sit by idly while our fellow man is constantly diminished by others.

Gun Control: Ought to vary based upon regional needs.

Death Penalty: Sadistic and anti-Christianity barbarism. One of the basic tenets of the faith is "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". In this instance that prescript is literally applicable.

Smoking: Is a pollution of the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: I oppose the destruction of all life.

USA PATRIOT Act: I feel does not go far enough in securing our safety from Islamic extremism.

Immigration: We ought to greatly liberalize our existing immigration laws. It is our duty - yes, our duty - to give aid and succor to our fellow men.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #504 on: July 10, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »

O_O
xavier110
United States
« Reply #505 on: August 12, 2010, 05:36:05 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: Support, although I do support parental notification for those under 18
Separation of church and state: Support
Gay Marriage: Support
Affirmative Action: Support for socio-economic backgrounds, not race
Gun rights: I believe in some gun control (background checks, etc.)
Death Penalty: Strongly oppose
Censorship: Strongly oppose
Flag burning: Strongly support
Smoking: Oppose public bans, support taxes
Alcohol consumption: Support, legal age should be lowered to 18
Euthanasia: Strongly support
Drugs: Strongly support complete legalization
Gambling: Support, legal age should be lowered to 18
Prostitution: Strongly support legalization
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Strongly support
Immigration: Support open borders
Illegal Immigration: Support amnesty

Economic Issues

Taxes: Progressive tax
Employers and Employees: Support unions, strikes, etc.
Free trade: Oppose
Spending: Stupid buzz word

Social Security: Oppose privatization
Space Program: Don't care
Welfare: Support
Healthcare: Support socialized medicine
Education: Support vouchers
Minimum Wage: Support an increase
Regulation: Strongly support
Energy Policy: Support alternative energy research, oppose nuclear plants
Environment: Generally support

Foreign Issues

United Nations: Support
Iraq: Strongly oppose
Israel: Oppose
Patriot Act: Strongly Oppose
Torture: Strongly Oppose
Military Involvement: Varies by circumstance
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #506 on: August 12, 2010, 05:44:10 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: Oppose except when it comes to rape and to protect a mother's life and health
Gay Marriage: Oppose, but I support giving gay couples all the same rights as married couples
Affirmative Action: Support for financial status. Oppose for race.
Gun rights: I believe in some gun control (background checks, etc.) everywhere. However, call me hypocritical, but I support more restrictions on guns in areas with low crime rates (but not in areas with high crime rates).
Death Penalty: Support only when a criminal confesses to a particular crime and is judged mentally sane.
Flag burning: Strongly oppose
Smoking: Support public bans and high taxes
Alcohol consumption: Support, legal age should be kept at 21
Euthanasia: Support in some, but not all, cases.
Drugs: Oppose legalization right now. However, when weed becomes legalized, I would support legalizing certain other drugs and placing very high taxes on them.
Gambling: Support, legal age should be kept at 21.
Prostitution: Support legalization
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Strongly support
Immigration: Support open borders and increasing quotas.
Illegal Immigration: Oppose amnesty

Economic Issues

Taxes: Progressive tax
Employers and Employees: Support unions, strikes, etc.
Spending: Support when it comes to social welfare

Social Security: Oppose privatization
Space Program: Support
Welfare: Support
Healthcare: Support socialized medicine and a public option
Education: Support vouchers
Minimum Wage: Support an increase
Regulation: Strongly support
Energy Policy: Support alternative/renewable energy research and nuclear plants
Environment: Generally support

Foreign Issues

United Nations: Support
Afghanistan: Support
Iraq: Strongly oppose
Israel: Support
Iran: Favor military strikes if diplomacy fails
North Korea: Favor multilateral approach
Patriot Act: Strongly Oppose
Torture: Strongly Oppose

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #507 on: August 13, 2010, 01:04:21 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2010, 03:28:35 PM by Republitarian »

Social Issues

Abortion: Should be left to the states, but at the state level I'm pro-choice except for late term abortions.
Gay Marriage: Ass long as heterosexual couples receive federal benefits, so should homosexual ones.
Affirmative Action: Strongly oppose.
Gun rights: Against.
Death Penalty: Should be left to the states, but at state level I support.
Flag burning: Is free speech.
Smoking bans: Oppose, it should be up to each person whether or not smoking is allowed on their private property.
Drinking: Should be lowered to 18.
Euthanasia: Legalize it.
Drugs: Should be left to the states, & at the state level I'm completely neutral.
Gambling: Should be left to the states, & at the state level I'm completely neutral.
Prostitution: Should be left to the states, & at the state level I'm completely neutral.
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Oppose federal funding for it, but I would also oppose banning it.
Economic Issues

Taxes: I think the best thing would be a mixture of a flat income tax & a national sales tax, because having just one one would make it too high.
Employers and Employees: I basically take all of the "pro business" stances.
Free trade: Strongly support.
Spending: Limited & spent mostly on military.
Social Security: Support privatization
Welfare: Ideally, it would be eliminated, but I support reforming it as a first step there.
Healthcare: Oppose socialized medicine and a public option
Education: I think vouchers for private schools  would be a better alternative to public schools, strongly support homeschooling, & strongly oppose making education mandatory.
Minimum Wage: Support abolishing it.
Regulation: Very little.

Foreign Issues

United Nations: Oppose.
Afghanistan: Support, but I'm undecided on if we're still needed there.
Iraq: Undecided.
Israeli–Palestinian conflict: Support a two state solution.
Patriot Act: Oppose
Torture: Undecided, but leaning towards oppose.

I might think of more issues later.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #508 on: August 13, 2010, 03:22:25 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: Should be left to the states (oppose)
Separation of church and state: To some degree
Gay Marriage: Should be left to the states (oppose)
Affirmative Action: STRONGLY oppose
Gun rights: For
Death Penalty: Should be left to the states (oppose)
Censorship: Oppose
Flag burning: I don't enjoy burning flags, but people can do it if they wish
Smoking bans: Oppose, because people can decide if they want to slowly kill themselves or not. It is not of out concern to stop them
Drinking: Should be lowered to 19
Euthanasia: Should be left to the states (oppose)
Drugs: Should be left to the states (legalize them)
Gambling: Should be left to the states (support)
Prostitution: Should be left to the states (keep it illegal)
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Should be left to the states (support use of adult stem cells, but definitely not embryos)

Economic Issues

Taxes: National sales tax
Employers and Employees: Pro-business
Spending: Cut all non-military spending
Welfare: Ideally, it would be eliminated, but I support reforming it as a first step there
Health-care: Use the lottery
Education: Support vouchers, support homeschooling, and oppose mandatory schooling
Minimum Wage: Should be left to the states (keep it at the normal level ($7.25 in Indiana)
Regulation: Very little

Foreign Issues

United Nations: Oppose
Afghanistan: Oppose (hopeless)
Iraq: Oppose (we won in 2008)
Israeli–Palestinian conflict: Support a two state solution
Patriot Act: Support
Torture: Support
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #509 on: August 13, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: Should be legal in all circumstances
Separation of church and state: Strongly support
Gay Marriage: Not only legalize same-sex marriage, but all other marriages as well, whether they be polygamous, incestuous, etc
Affirmative Action: Support to a certain extent
Gun rights: Against
Death Penalty: Against. The state has no right to kill.
Censorship: Oppose in most cases
Flag burning: If anything, it should be encouraged
Smoking bans: Support in public places. Smoking can damage the health of others.
Drinking: Abolish the drinking age limit
Euthanasia: Everyone should have the liberty to end their lives, anywhere, anytime
Drugs: Legalize all drugs. Everyone should have the liberty to harm themselves.
Gambling: Should be legal
Prostitution: Should be legal
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Support

Economic Issues

Taxes: High tax rate on the rich, low tax rate on the poor. Lower "middle-class" taxes to an extent.
Employers and Employees: Pro-unions.
Free trade: Support fair trade. Oppose NAFTA, and the like.
Spending: Cut military and defense spending, and spending on police state programs. Increase on public services which are needed.
Social Security: Increase spending
Welfare: Support the welfare state
Health-care: Support the NHS. Increase funding.
Education: Support the public school system. Increase funding and teacher's pay. Abolish unneeded testing and cut class sizes.
Minimum Wage: Increase it
Regulation: More of it

Foreign Issues

United Nations: Support, but it has it's faults
Afghanistan: Oppose
Iraq: Oppose
Israeli-Palestinian conflict: Support a two state solution
Iran: Don't go to war with them. Be diplomatic.
North Korea: As above.
Patriot Act: Oppose
Torture: Oppose
Military Involvement: Oppose
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #510 on: August 13, 2010, 11:43:11 PM »

I've really fallen away from taking specific positions.  It's not at all a realistic or even rational approach to politics that we've unfortunately become culturally fixated on.  All it does is perpetuate the game that is our political world and for some reason I'd expect others here to similarly reject the notion.  Then again, like 90% of the people here are under the delusion that they're perpetually running for office, so it makes sense.  Really, political beliefs should be broken down into philosophical priorities rather than specific positions on the issue of the day.  I guess I shouldn't talk since my positions are about as consistent as Paula Abdul's state of consciousness.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #511 on: September 15, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »

Here I'll take a different approach, explaining my core philosophy (no, this was not inspired by Fezzy's post above).

Economic

Core Philosophy: An economy grows best when individuals are as free as possible to flesh out their ideas and be creative. Still, this must be balanced with the basic needs of society. A limited welfare state is good, but the key word is limited, for too much welfare is like a drug, one becomes dependent on it and they lose the ability to function without it. Welfare programs should be few, limited, targeted and effective. Despite some posts I made when I was frustrated with other posters, I really do care about the economically disadvantaged.

Some industries need somewhat heavier regulation (k-12 schooling, healthcare, water, electricity, etc) as a totally free market would be counterproductive to the ultimate goals a society would have for these industries. Ideally, these "regulated" (I put it in quotes because I don't think many existing regulations on these industries should be there) industries would take the best of both the public sector and the private sector. Still, many of these industries have unnecessary regulations that don't really help achieve the goals of a society. Hopefully many government programs can be replaced by this.

Other industries need less regulation, and even in "heavily regulated" industries, the regulations should be relatively simple, consolidated, and without redundancies. Take a laissez-faire approach whenever it is reasonable.

Taxes should be as low as possible. Progressive taxation is okay (though not ideal, I am realistic about the math and such), but only to a point. Taxes should be simple and consolidated.

Social

Core philosophy: As long as you don't harm another, government should stay out of it. Maybe banning or regulation of certain victimless things, such as the really hard drugs like meth, and background checks for firearms.

Foreign Policy

Core Philosophy: I am dovish to the core. The US must be humble and friendly. Over seas bases should be reduced if not eliminated, and the military budget cut significantly and its budgetary priorities shifted to intelligence and counter terrorism.

Environment

Core Philosophy: The Environment is very important to me. The government should be aggressive here, but not excessive either.

Size of Government

Core Philosophy: For the most part, government should be small and limited, and when it needs to exert its power, it should be as decentralized as possible.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #512 on: September 16, 2010, 01:32:43 AM »

Economic Issues

Taxes: I think the best thing would be a mixture of a flat income tax & a national sales tax, because having just one one would make it too high.
Employers and Employees: I basically take all of the "pro business" stances.
Free trade: Strongly support.
Spending: Limited & spent mostly on military.
Welfare: Ideally, it would be eliminated, but I support reforming it as a first step there.
Healthcare: Oppose socialized medicine and a public option
Education: I think vouchers for private schools  would be a better alternative to public schools, strongly support homeschooling, & strongly oppose making education mandatory.
Minimum Wage: Support abolishing it.
Regulation: Very little.

Wow, that's really terrible.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #513 on: September 16, 2010, 01:58:20 AM »

I dunno if I did this or not already. I lose track in threads like this, but I might as well update it.

Social issues: Left-leaning Civil Libertarian

Abortion: Pro-Choice within the first two trimesters.
Immigration: I support a guest worker program and generally open border with some exceptions.
Marriage: Marraige is generally just a tax benefit. Allow marraige liscenses to be issued, but leave blood testing requirements up to the states. Support same-sex marraige.
Flag Burning: Support the right of protestors to burn the flag non-violently.
Free Speech: Lenny Bruce was a martyr. Complete free speech on television and the internet that is not libel. Don't like it. Don't watch. Leave content up to individual producers.
War on Drugs: The War on Drugs is a waste of public dollars. Scale back restrictions on private use. Completely decriminalize marijuana. However, do not allow foreigners to import hard drugs such as cocaine.
Affirmative Action: Unnecessary in this day and age. Economic affirmative action would be fairer.
Gun control: Support the right to carry a gun of any type. However, require special liscensing and training. Refuse to allow anyone with any kind of criminal offense to purchase a weapon.
Death Penalty: A waste of tax dollars and time. Multiple studies show it's cheaper to provide life imprisonment for the worst offenders than to use lethal deterrent.
Voluntary Euthanasia: Legalize it. Require MD's to recieve special liscensing to perform the task of euthanasia. Only patient or patient's family may ask for euthanasia, a doctor is prohibited from suggesting it apart from listing it in options.
Draft: No draft. Military service should be completely voluntary.
Patriot Act, domestic spying, etc.: Illegal unless a warrant is obtained from a federal judge.
Stem Cell Research: Continue funding stem cell research in hopes that they may help lead to medical breakthroughs.
States Rights: States may pass their own laws and have their own systems, but be subserviant to federal law.
Three Strikes Law: Rediculous yardstick that hinders justice more than helps it.
Prostitution: Completely legalize. Hold yearly VD checks. Any prostitute with VD should be disallowed from working.
Separation of Church and State: Freedom of religion, but federal and state governments are prohibited from passing laws to favor or injure one religion over the expense of another. Complete secularism in the public sector.
Electoral College: Completely discard in favor of popular vote.

Foreign Policy: Fair trade. Maintain our trading partnerships with countries we have special relationships with (Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, etc.)
War on Terror: Continue to use Spec Ops to hunt for terrorist leaders. Stop treating a political problem with military medication.
Palestine: Support the rights of Palestinians to create their own homeland or be represented in the Israeli government as long as they pay Israeli taxes. Condemn terror and war crimes on both sides.
Israel: Maintain a moderately friendly relationship with them. Fair trade and pressure to allow Palestinians self-determination.
War in Iraq: Wrong-headed in the first place. Continue troop withdrawl at fastest practical pace.
Iran: Pressure Iran to discontinue nuclear technology, peacefully. Failing that, flex the muscle as they say. War, final resort.
North Korea: See Iran. Flex the muscle where peaceful pressuring fails.
9/11: Continue investigating causes and effects. Modify our foreign policy to reflect earnest friendliness with the middle eastern world.
Afghanistan: Leave as soon as practically possible.
Pakistan: Maintain a neutral friendship with them. Moderate between them and India to prevent a war or catastrophic nuclear war.
Torture: A ineffective war crime.
Diplomacy: Preferable to war in all cases unless we are physically threatened or attacked.
Free Trade Agreement: Support Fair Trade. Disallow companies to layoff American workers to employ cheap foreign labor. If tax incentives don't work, sue them.
Military involvement: Should always be the last resort unless we are physically attacked. Support nuclear disarmamant.

Economic Issues: Social Democrat

Taxes: Progressive income tax. Eliminate income taxes on those making less than $50,000 per yr. States may continue to set Sales Tax.
Welfare: Provide government welfare for those with no place to go. Having been homeless with no family relations made it very difficult to rely on private charity. Expand foodbank and foodstamps, health care, and set a living wage. Provide incentives for small businesses to compete. Add national competition to essential industries. (Airlines being the big one right now)
Trade: Fair trade excepting countries with special relationships. Threaten to bust corporations that attempt to lay off American workers for cheap labor.
Health Care: Universal Coverage. Demand hospitals treat patients and subsidize those patients who cannot afford insurance.
Spending: Cut unnecessary spending where possible but do not jeopardize any programs that benefit the poor or middle class. A lean and efficent military.
Education: Raise public education standards. Support stronger science, math, and language programs.
Regulations: Allow private industry to continue with government regulation. Mixed economy with competition where possible. Prevent companies from laying off American workers for cheap foreign labor.
Globus Cruciger
Orb
Rookie
United States

« Reply #514 on: September 28, 2010, 07:15:09 PM »

General philosophy: Monarchism, but in America that has little practical impact...

Social issues: Right-wing fanatic, I guess.

Abortion: Toss Roe v. Wade into the rubbish pit – should be illegal with no exceptions.
Affirmative Action: Strongly oppose when done on racial grounds. Economically, I've much less problem with it. 
Alcohol: Lower drinking age to 18. Send drunk drivers to the galleys for life.
Capital Punishment: Don't think it's wrong in principle, but today would say mercy is the better way to go unless under wartime or similar necessity.   
Church & State: Constitution says no particular denomination can be made official religion, no more. Railing against mangers on town squares or "under God" in the Pledge is ridiculous in a three-quarters Christian and nine-tenths religious country.   
Education: Abolish Department of Education, let states do whatever they want. I'm a tad biased, being homeschooled myself, but strongly support home education, and, by extension, private schools. Don't teach "alternative theories" in science classes, but religious instruction should be provided, from a neutral POV. 
Elections: Abolish the Electoral College per se, and enshrine into law our current unwritten convention of having all of a state's electoral votes going to the candidate who won the state.
Euthanasia: Strongly oppose. Murder is murder, no matter who consents to it. But no one should be forced to undergo any medical procedure they do not desire.
Free Speech: Strongly support. Flag burning, though I despise it, should be legal. The notion of 'hate speech' and 'hate crimes' is repulsive.
Homosexuality: Marriage is between a man and a woman, the law shouldn't pretend it can change that. Support “civil unions” for any couple – man and women, man and man, brother and sister, whatever – which would have every right of marriage save adopting children.
Immigration: Mixed. We shouldn't punish people for wanting a better life, but we need to secure our borders. Bilingualism creates an permanent underclass – encourage learning English.
Prostitution: Since we're not exactly arresting fornicators anymore, it's very strange to ban intimate congress when money happens to be involved. But soliciting in public should be strictly banned.
Second Amendment: Generally in favor of personal gun ownership.
Term limits: Strongly support. Limit (just tossing out numbers here, not sure in the details) senators to two terms, and representatives to six. I want citizen-legislators, not professional politicians.   

Economic issues: Not very interested in them, but pretty liberal.  Don't think what's good for the billionaire is necessarily good for the common man.
Space program: Strongly support. Let's get to Mars before the Ruskies!
Public transportation: Strongly support. It's a crying shame we don't have supersonic trains linking every city in the Union.

Foreign Policy:
United Nations: Stay in it, but it very much needs reform.
China: Recognize the Republic of China (Taiwan) instead of the Marxist mob currently occupying the mainland.   
Israel: Strongly support the "Zionist regime".   
United Kingdom: Support the "special relationship". Join the Commonwealth of Nations.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #515 on: September 28, 2010, 07:35:07 PM »

Troll alert!
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #516 on: September 28, 2010, 07:37:03 PM »

Is Einzige back again?
Globus Cruciger
Orb
Rookie
United States

« Reply #517 on: September 28, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »

Oh dear, what a nice welcome. Smiley

But I guess here is where I say I am perfectly sincere, and not at all trollish, in what I said. Well except for that part about galley slaves, as I do hope you realized.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #518 on: September 28, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »

Welcome to the forum. Admittedly, I too dislike much of your "platform"*, but welcome anyways.

*Well, you do have the right idea on social issues and foreign policy (except for the commonwealth of nations; though I too support the special relationship, I absolutely oppose joining the commonwealth)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #519 on: October 17, 2010, 07:29:08 AM »

Oh dear. The reactionaries have gathered in this thread Tongue Nah, I doubt it's Einzige.
reagan84
Rookie
« Reply #520 on: November 07, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2010, 09:47:19 PM by reagan84 »

Just took the Compass test.  It came back as Economic +3.77  Social +5.22
Sounds about right for me and pretty mainstream for Alabama.  I consider myself a "common sense conservative"  I know that's a phrase that many people hate but I think it applies well to me.  I lean right on about 90% of the issues but few of my positions would be called "extreme."
Social issues:
Abortion- pro-life with exceptions for rape, incest, life of mother
Gay rights- no marriage but civil unions okay.
Race- end affirmative action, enforce laws against racial discrimination. color blind.
Immigration-strongly support border enforcement first, path to legal residence but no chance for citizenship for illegals already here unless they go home and re-apply, punish employers who hire illegals. No mass deportations.
Education- support vouchers  
Crime- tough on serious crime, softer approach for petty offenses.  Keep marijuana ban but treat it like a speeding ticket.  Death penalty only for mass murder and extremely gruesome situations (eg. dragging death of a black man)
Health care- no government takeover, vouchers for poor, agreed with Obama about allowing those under 26 to remain on parent's plan.  

Economic:
-favor significant  tax cuts across the board as well as reduction in spending
-no more nation building, not an isolationist but more non-intervention in foreign policy though I am a supporter of Israel.
-strongly opposed to national sales tax, would hurt young people and lower class very much.
-favor progressive taxes but it should be flatter and lower
-generally support free trade but don't surrender national sovereignty.
-favor more regulations on business than most fiscal conservatives to protect human rights with "reasonable" environmental protection. Would probably oppose cap and trade.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #521 on: November 07, 2010, 10:47:02 PM »

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #522 on: November 10, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »

Social Issues
My personal views and views on the stance the government should take are too completely different things.  On the one hand, everyone is irresponsible and stupid to various degrees and shouldn't make important decisions because of their negative impact on society.  For instance, guns should be banned because people leave them out for their kids to get to or do a number of other idiotic things with them.  On the other hand, the government is just as stupid and irresponsible and cannot be trusted with the super-tight regulation I envision in my utopia.  Because of that, I tend to prefer a government more libertarian then my values, though my stance on the issues would still probably be considered authoritarian.  Here are my stances on some hotbutton issues:
  • Abortion: Should be illegal in 2nd and 3rd trimester because a child can survive prematurely outside of the womb after those points.  1st trimester should still be illegal, though restricted.  In the words of Bill Clinton "Legal (1st trimester), Safe, and Rare".
  • Education: Don't abandon public schools.  Keep teacher salaries high to attract the best.  Don't place too much of a focus on standardized testing.
  • Healthcare: Institute a Public Healthcare system along the French model

Domestic Issues
This is basically the same as social issues (in fact the two sections could probably be combined).
  • Drug Legalization: No.  Hard drugs like meth and cocaine have obvious negative effects on society.  Marijuana, the most talked about drug, is like tobaccco + halucigens.  I don't want my lungs or my kids lungs getting poisoned by the filthy smoke and I don't want to have to deal with blazed people driving or doing the stupid stuff high people do.  Part I of that is why I think that cigarettes should be gradually phased out by higher taxes na dthen after a generation made illegal.  Alcohol, in an ideal world, would be made illegal because it causes hundreds of thousands of deaths a year (car crashes, domestic violence, etc.) but it is too ingrained in our society as the prohibition of the 1920's demonstrated.
  • Gun Control: Ban assault weapons and make concealed weapons illegal.  Private citizens only need guns for hunting and protection.  Substantial background checks should be required before the purpose of any weapon.
  • Environment: There is no evidence that man is causing climate change on a large scale (AKA Global Warming) at the rate the whistleblowers would like you to believe.  Regardless, pollution should be cut down on through regulation and taxes in the name of sanitation.  I don't want my children to develop asthma because they lived in a city or other area with a high pollutant count.  Also, preserve the forest for the next generation; In the spirit of Theodore Roosevelt.

Economic Issues
Balanced Budget is at the core of my economic philosophy.  I don't care about the size of government so much; so long as it is streamlined to prevent waste I am ok with a lot of government programs.  Taxes should be raised or lower to insure that the government has enough money to pay its expenditures.  If you don't like seeing your taxes raised suck it up; you can't have your cake and eat it.  I say no to the flat tax.  Chaining our government's income reliant on the performance of the economy is a bad thing.  Social Security needs to be restructured; I don't have anything to lose because at the rate things are ghoing now it will be insolvent long before I retire.

International Issues
On the Issues:
  • Free Trade: Is a net good thing.  However, free trade should not be conducted with countries that practice human rights abuses or nations that cause undue harm to the environment.
  • Immigration: Legal immigration is great and should be made easier.  Current illegal immigrants that are here currently should be given a path to citizenship; military service or a work program should grant them and their dependants citizenship.  The borders need to be clamped down on and security needs to be amped to stop terrorists and drug smugglers.
  • Energy: Start investing in alternative energy now.  Put a lot of money into NASA to develop solar and fusion power.  Space-based solar power is the future.

After reading all of that, what US party do you think I belong in or should I stay an independent?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #523 on: November 10, 2010, 09:50:12 PM »

Social issues: Libertarian

Abortion: Pro-choice, ban partial birth abortion.  Roe v. Wade should be overturned and the issue left to the states.
Immigration: Interpret 14th Amendment correctly (children of foreign citizens do not qualify for birthright citizenship, as the authors of the amendment made quite clear - Chinese immigration being a major political issue of the time).  Allow free movement across the border, but people must apply for citizenship normally.  End all quotas.
Marriage: Has absolutely nothing to do with government.  Any two consenting adults should be allowed to legally designate each other as next of kin regardless of their relation or genetic attributes, or to file a joint tax return.
Flag Burning: A fundamental right.
Free Speech: A fundamental right.  End all government censorship initiatives immediately.
War on Drugs: Legalize all drugs, pardon all non-violent drug "offenders."
Affirmative Action: Private entities should be allowed to discriminate as they see fit, but government should not.  (Neither should government funds be provided to institutions that discriminate).
Gun control: Mandatory background checks for everyone.  Otherwise, people should be encouraged to carry guns.  There'd be a lot less gun violence (although the vast majority of it would already be done away with along with the War on Drugs),
Death Penalty: Against.  Dozens of innocents have likely perished already.
Voluntary Euthanasia: If a person is of sound mind and not under duress, it absolutely should be legal.
Draft: No draft except in times of absolute necessity.
Patriot Act, domestic spying, etc.: 4th amendment rights must be respected in all instances, including electronic spying.
Stem Cell Research: Stem cell research of all kinds should be completely legal, including cloning, but it should not be funded by the federal government.
States Rights: Allow nullification.  State national guards should be under state control.  Secession is out of line without a constitutional amendment.
Three Strikes Law: Awful.  Get rid of, and commute sentences of victims who didn't commit egregious violent crimes.
Prostitution: Completely legalize (at ages above the consent level), with requirements that sex workers undergo regular STD testing.
Separation of Church and State: Government should be secular, but that doesn't mean that federal funds can't go to anything religious or that the currency can't say "In God we trust" etc.  I'm an atheist, FWIW.
Electoral College: Archaic relic that should be abolished in favor of nationwide approval voting.
Foreign Policy: Humble, do not interfere in things that are not our business.  End the wars immediately.  Bring the troops home from Germany, Japan, South Korea etc.  Focus on free trade agreements and maintaining friendship.
War on Terror: End.
Palestine: None of our business.
Israel: Maintain cordial relations.  No foreign aid to Israel or any other country.
War in Iraq: End now.
Iran: Ignore.
North Korea: Ignore.
9/11: An unfortunate event.
Afghanistan: End now.
Pakistan: Maintain cordial relations.  Ignore.
Torture: Something we absolutely should not do.
Diplomacy: No poking around in things that aren't our business, just try to be nice without asking for or giving anything.
Free Trade Agreement: Should be allowed with all countries where people are not enslaved.
Military involvement: Should never happen.

Economic Issues: Libertarian

Taxes: Should be a consumption tax w/ rebate, and as low as possible.
Welfare: "Workfare" in which people would perform community service in return for guaranteed employment would be okay, if it were made a voluntary program for each state.
Trade: See above.
Health Care: Free market.  End licensing monopolies that artificially restrict supply and jack up prices, as well as public-private boondoggles that boost prices exponentially.  In the short term a voucher program like Paul Ryan's suggestion would be helpful.
Spending: Should be vastly lower than it is now.
Education: Should be handled at the local level only.
Regulations: Should only be for reasonable safety purposes or environmental necessity.
InquilineKea
Simfish
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: -5.22

« Reply #524 on: November 11, 2010, 05:16:08 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2010, 05:29:24 PM by Simfish »

For the record, I read blogs like ParaPundit, FuturePundit, Gene Expression, Bryan Caplan, and Overcoming Bias. So many of my ideas may come across as radical to the mainstream. My biggest gripe is the equation between legality and morality. Let people privately enforce moral standards, rather than force taxpayers to subsidize prison time for actions others may disapprove with. And let people choose who they want to associate with.

At the same time, I also have a gripe with how some libertarians moralize welfare. Yes, laziness is genetically inherited to *some* degree. Okay, so don't condemn it as a moral problem - find creative ways to make people do work even when they feel like they're having fun - the crowdsourcing/data-mining capabilities of the Internet might help with that.

Social issues: Quite libertarian (however, I can be more authoritarian on some of the more "hidden" issues).
Abortion: Pro-Choice but not passionate. Far more important to subsidize birth control (lots of people, especially teens, don't like condoms) so that # of abortions can be reduced.
Immigration: Canada's policy is good (give preference to educated immigrants)
Marriage: Abolish it and leave it as a private arrangement
Flag Burning: Decriminalize. Criminalizing it won't do anything other than waste resources
Free Speech: Completely support.
War on Drugs: Decriminalize all drugs (it's a complete utter waste to punish people for victimless crimes). It's not going to make society turn into chaos.
Affirmative Action: Unnecessary discrimination, repeal it
Gun control: No passion on issue (but yeah, punishing people for guns is irrational in the same way as punishing people for drugs), research shows that more guns *don't* lead to more crime.
Death Penalty: No opinion
Voluntary Euthanasia: Probably legalize
Draft: No draft except under dire circumstances (if the US is threatened *and* the threat was truly "evil")
Patriot Act, domestic spying, etc.: Illegal unless a warrant is obtained from a federal judge.
Stem Cell Research: Continue funding stem cell research in hopes that it may help lead to medical breakthroughs.
States Rights: Generally support. Let people choose what laws they want to live under. This might lead to interesting natural experiments too/
Three Strikes Law: When people commit repeat crimes, it's a neurological problem related to lack of self-control, not a moral problem. Get neuroscientists to draft proposals on how to treat repeat offenders (will probably involve some creative solution involving dopaminergic neurons).
Prostitution: Legalize; it's irrational to punish
Separation of Church and State: Support
Electoral College: No opinion
Foreign Policy: Free trade, foreign aid should only be used as an investment
War on Terror: the U.S. has overreacted. it's not going to do anything since new independent groups will simply form up again.
Palestine: No opinion
Israel: No opinion; don't know enough.
War in Iraq: Waste of taxpayer dollars, withdraw
Iran: Not a threat to us
North Korea: Not a threat to us
9/11: Overreaction on part of US. Try to find ways to make it so that people won't be so resentful at the US (actually, a stronger China might reduce unique animosity towards the most powerful country)
Afghanistan: Leave as soon as practically possible.
Pakistan: Don't know enough
Torture: No opinion. Probably doesn't work right now.
Diplomacy: No opinion
Free Trade Agreement: Leaning towards free trade.
Military involvement: Usually unnecessary

Economic Issues: also quite libertarian (not in the same way as the libertarian party)

Taxes: Don't know enough. Progressive income tax might maximize net utility/happiness. But recognize that private individuals can fund philanthropic pursuits that are better targeted than what the government can fund (do find a creative ways to make the rich happy with donating their money).
Welfare: Don't know enough. But definitely reduce benefits if people are using it for their large families.
Trade: Don't know enough; leaning towards free trade
Health Care: Leaning towards privatization, give vouchers to those who don't have enough money, subsidize health care for catastrophic conditions. But regulations are still completely compatible with a free market - strictly enforce regulations on health care providers (including regulations that make nurses/doctors wash their hands - which they frequently don't do)
Spending: Huge cuts to defense and entitlement spending. Increase spending on scientific research and other investments (this money would still account for a very small fraction of defense spending)
Education: The current educational system is a complete mess that holds back the gifted/talented, and forces weaker students through agonizing years of repeated material, much of it that they won't remember. Privatize it, give vouchers to those who don't have enough money, fund research into alternative educational systems (like computer-aided learning) that might work more efficiently both for gifted and weaker students. Allow vouchers to be spent on educational materials so that competition can reduce the cost of textbooks (and promote homeschooling/unschooling as a completely viable alternative). Allow private corporations to set up their own educational systems and regulate them to make sure they're not too specialized.
Regulations: Privatization can work with regulations. With regulations, we don't have to risk the worst effects of privatization. Environmental regulations are completely necessary (due to tragedy of the commons), but pollution credits might work more than firm limits (I don't know enough yet - definitely fund research to see if it works)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies