Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:20:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 557973 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: February 25, 2010, 04:53:28 AM »

Abortion: Staunchly pro-life. Abortion is murder. Exception granted to save the life of the mother.

War: Opposed to all war except in self-defense against imminent attack or invasion. Oppose both Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Taxes: Abolish income taxes. Replace as much taxation as possible with voluntary user contributions.

Spending: Spend on nothing except to provide essential services to society. No spending to interfere with the economy as with bailouts or subsidies. Abolish nearly all government agencies and departments.

Healthcare: Go for all-or-nothing approach to healthcare. No half-assed corporatist schemes like Obamacare.

Gun control: Opposed completely. No restrictions whatsoever on concealed carry. Vermont is a good model for other states to follow.

Death Penalty: Opposed, though it is not on the same plane as abortion, which is far worse.

War on Drugs: The government has no right to dictate to anyone what they may choose to consume that would affect only their own body. End the war on drugs. Also abolish all restrictions on alcohol and tobacco, such as age limits.

PATRIOT Act/Homeland Security: Repeal it completely. Abolish the FBI, CIA, BATF and DHS.

Foreign Policy: Non-interventionism.

Palestine: Free Palestine from Zionist occupation. End all aid to the state of "Israel".
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #401 on: February 25, 2010, 04:57:35 AM »

Abortion: Staunchly pro-life. Abortion is murder. Exception granted to save the life of the mother.

War: Opposed to all war except in self-defense against imminent attack or invasion. Oppose both Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Taxes: Abolish income taxes. Replace as much taxation as possible with voluntary user contributions.

Spending: Spend on nothing except to provide essential services to society. No spending to interfere with the economy as with bailouts or subsidies. Abolish nearly all government agencies and departments.

Healthcare: Go for all-or-nothing approach to healthcare. No half-assed corporatist schemes like Obamacare.

Gun control: Opposed completely. No restrictions whatsoever on concealed carry. Vermont is a good model for other states to follow.

Death Penalty: Opposed, though it is not on the same plane as abortion, which is far worse.

War on Drugs: The government has no right to dictate to anyone what they may choose to consume that would affect only their own body. End the war on drugs. Also abolish all restrictions on alcohol and tobacco, such as age limits.

PATRIOT Act/Homeland Security: Repeal it completely. Abolish the FBI, CIA, BATF and DHS.

Palestine: Free Palestine from Zionist occupation. End all aid to the state of "Israel".

Not too bad. You need to drop the pro-life stuff and the generic anti-Israel stuff though.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #402 on: February 25, 2010, 05:10:28 AM »

Not too bad. You need to drop the pro-life stuff and the generic anti-Israel stuff though.

No, I maintain consistency in my views. I think you need to drop the pro-death and pro-imperialism stuff. Wink
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #403 on: February 25, 2010, 07:54:56 AM »

No, I maintain consistency in my views. I think you need to drop the pro-death and pro-imperialism stuff. Wink

I don't hold either of those Sad
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #404 on: February 25, 2010, 08:04:25 AM »

Ok, my final final final summary.

Constitutional

Constitution - Create a constitution based partially on the 1689 Bill of Rights. Also include other important elements of modern democracy in it. Lower voting age to 16 or 17.

Monarchy - Abolish them, they set a bad example to the rest of us.

Devolution - Continue to devolve powers to Scotland, NI and Wales. Set up Parliament in Northern Ireland and allow all three more power in local rights. Set up an English Parliament too. Set up regional assemblies with some local powers also.

House of Lords - Abolish and replace with a House of Merits, made up of intellectuals approved by referendum. This would help reinforce Britain as a meritocracy

Separation of Powers - Give the British Supreme Court more power, once it is formed. Create the post of President and give some executive powers to it, while giving other important powers, such as the declaration of war, to the Commons.

Elections - Set fixed term elections - every 3 years for parliamentary and every 5 years for President, who will also have the power to appoint a Prime Minister from the largest party in Parliament, which approval from Parliament. Look further into either introducing proportional representation, or reforming First Past the Post. Bring back university seats. Introduce STV.

Referenda - To be used for proposed constitutional amendments.

Secularism - Disestablish the Churches of England and Scotland, like we should have done 100 years ago.

Economic

Central Banking - Strip the Bank of England's monopoly on note of issue and allow private banks to issue money, as long as it is backed by gold. Allow the Bank of England to keep a reserve of gold. Also, let each private bank set it's own rate of interest. Encourage full-reserve banking

Currency - Back with gold. Look into the use of e-gold as well.

Taxation - Abolish all climate change levies and death duty. Reduce petrol duty while increasing duty on alcohol and cigarettes. Introduce duties on drugs, coffee, salt. Slash income tax to 10 pence in the pound and gradually reduce it with the aim of eventually abolishing it. Reduce purchase tax to 10%. Introduce LVT

Regulation - Abolish the CDS market, it's a major threat to capitalism. Regulate derivatives somewhat more carefully. Legalise insider trading relax anti-trust law.

Private and public sector - Privatise the post office and Social Security pensions. Possibly privatise the NHS. reform the NHS to a multi payer system

National Debt - Work to reduce.

Social

Crime - Abolish all victimless crimes (including incest), along with the age of consent and the ages on smoking and alcohol consumption. Bring back the death penalty for murderers. Make life imprisonment MEAN life

Education - Start comittee to look into how to reform the exam system. Raise school starting age to 6 and keep school leaving age at 16.

Gun Rights - Give everyone over 18 an assault rifle on request.

Abortion - Keep late term limit at around 6 months. Raise the week limit to 28 weeks.

Gay rights - Legalise gay marriage, or preferably, stop the state defining marriage altogether. Legalise gay adoption too.

Environment - Quit Kyoto Protocol. Push for use of solar and nuclear power over wind power.

Welfare - Privatise, with the exception of special allowances for the genuinely disabled. Create a means-tested system

Immigration - Restrict further. We really need to stop the country getting overpopulated. Open borders.

Minimum wage - Abolish.

Political correctness - Scrap. Freedom of speech is more important.

Prostitution - Legalise completely.

Working day - Set limit at 10 hours a day.

Euthanasia - Legalise voluntary euthanasia. As for involuntary or non-voluntary, it amounts to murder.

Foreign

Foreign policy - Quit NATO, the EU and the WTO. Propose a customs union with Ireland. Stay out of other country's affairs generally, but offer mediation in conflicts such as in Israel.

Nuclear policy - Keep a strong nuclear deterrent. End British nuclear armaments.

Made some amendments.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #405 on: February 25, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2010, 11:02:18 AM by Hussein Bin Tatal »

I'm sorry Libertas (and I really want to start a clean slate this time, really I do) but how does wanting to free Palestine work with your supposedly "non-interventionist" foreign policy?
It is called "non-interventionist" for a reason.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #406 on: February 25, 2010, 04:11:48 PM »

I'm sorry Libertas (and I really want to start a clean slate this time, really I do) but how does wanting to free Palestine work with your supposedly "non-interventionist" foreign policy?

How does Palestine being free from occupation conflict with a non-interventionist U.S. foreign policy? Huh
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #407 on: February 25, 2010, 04:46:46 PM »

How does Palestine being free from occupation conflict with a non-interventionist U.S. foreign policy? Huh

The point of a "non-interventionist" foreign policy is that we don't intervene, that is why it is called the non-interventionist policy. Assisting Palestine would be interventionist (just like we do with Israel), pulling all funding to the Middle East and favoring neither Palestine or Israel is non-interventionist.
Favoring one side (with actual aid) in a conflict that doesn't involve us is not non-interventionist.
So both you and Winston are wrong.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #408 on: February 25, 2010, 04:50:10 PM »

The point of a "non-interventionist" foreign policy is that we don't intervene, that is why it is called the non-interventionist policy. Assisting Palestine would be interventionist (just like we do with Israel), pulling all funding to the Middle East and favoring neither Palestine or Israel is non-interventionist.
Favoring one side (with actual aid) in a conflict that doesn't involve us is not non-interventionist.

Eh, what? Show me where I said anything about intervening in any other country's affairs.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #409 on: February 25, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »

Eh, what? Show me where I said anything about intervening in any other country's affairs.

"Free Palestine from Zionist occupation"?
Needs more clarification, more sauce. To me it sounded like you were saying WE should FREE Palestine.
If you're saying that Palestine needs to be freed from unjust rule (not by us), then disregard this.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #410 on: February 25, 2010, 04:56:10 PM »

"Free Palestine from Zionist occupation"?
Needs more clarification, more sauce. To me it sounded like you were saying WE should FREE Palestine.
If you're saying that Palestine needs to be freed from unjust rule (not by us), then disregard this.

I didn't say the U.S. should do anything, I just said "Free Palestine".
Electric Feel
ElectricFeel
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -0.06, S: -5.13

« Reply #411 on: February 25, 2010, 04:58:40 PM »

It's only right that we undo our interventionist damage by kicking the Jews out of the land they have no rightful claim to.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #412 on: February 25, 2010, 04:59:40 PM »

It's only right that we undo our interventionist damage by kicking the Jews out of the land they have no rightful claim to.

...Apart from the fact they were there for years before the Canaanites arrived. Yeah...
Electric Feel
ElectricFeel
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #413 on: February 25, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »

...Apart from the fact they were there for years before the Canaanites arrived. Yeah...

Don't lie, prude
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #414 on: February 25, 2010, 05:01:59 PM »

O Rly? This might have some grounding if we were talking about the same people.

Claims to the land, culturally, are the same as claims to the land, politically. (And no, I don't support forcing anyone out of Israel)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #415 on: February 25, 2010, 05:02:36 PM »

Don't lie, prude

Did you just call someone with a -9 social score a prude in a thread which has nothing to do with morality?

.....lol.
Electric Feel
ElectricFeel
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #416 on: February 25, 2010, 05:08:20 PM »

Don't lie, prude

Did you just call someone with a -9 social score a prude in a thread which has nothing to do with morality?

.....lol.

The score means nothing if you support the Israeli war agenda
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #417 on: February 25, 2010, 05:10:21 PM »

Don't lie, prude

.....lol.

I don't support either side, believe me. I used to be a Zionist nut, but these days, I can't be bothered with either of them.
Electric Feel
ElectricFeel
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #418 on: February 25, 2010, 05:11:26 PM »

Don't lie, prude

.....lol.

I don't support either side, believe me. I used to be a Zionist nut, but these days, I can't be bothered with either of them.

Good
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #419 on: March 06, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2010, 10:28:54 PM by Governor Bill Richardson »

Abortion:  While I am personally opposed in most cases, I support early term abortions politically.  Of course, at the same time adoption should be presented as an option.  I am opposed to late term abortion.

War:  Oppose War in Iraq.  Support War in Afghanistan, as well as troop surge there.  Use of Predator Drones should increase throughout Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan (yes, Pakistan).

Israel:  Support Israel, but also support creation of Palestinian state in West Bank and Gaza.

Regulation:  Increase regulation on businesses.  Give substantial tax breaks to companies that employ American workers, and raise taxes on companies that do not.  Oppose bailouts.  Let them fail.

Healthcare:  Support single-payer system, but not at current date.  As of now, put in measures to increase competition while also lowering costs.  Support public option, but only in areas where there is not enough competition, or where employer supplied healthcare is too expensive.  Support mandated healthcare.

Gun Control:  Support concealed weapons with permit.  At the same time, make registration process more difficult.  Support ban on assault rifles (why the hell would you need an assault rifle?).

Death Penalty:  Support in the worst crimes.  However, if you give someone the death penalty, speed up the process.  Don't make them rot in solitary confinement for 20 years before they finally get pumped with chemicals.

Drugs:  Support legalization of marijuana.  Lower drinking age to 18.  Step up attempts to stop smugglers.

Gay Marriage:  See abortion.  I personally have questionable thoughts on the subject, but it does not effect me.  I support a legalization of it, but do not force Churches to marry Gay couples.  I oppose adoption by gay couples (Do it for the children!1!11!!!)

Environment:  Sign the freaking Kyoto Protocol.  

Welfare:  Needs definite reforms.  Put limits on time you can stay on welfare, require users to show where their money is going, and do more to stop people from getting on Welfare.  Support new version of Public Works Administration, which would allow small businesses to employ unemployed workers for free, as the workers would be payed by the government.

Immigration:  Support a clear path to citizenship.  At the same time, work to stop companies that employ illegal immigrants.  Work to stop illegal immigration, but not legal immigration.

Prostitution:  Very restricted.  Do not legalize federally, but do not ban federally.  

Euthanasia:  Legalize voluntary euthanasia.

In summary, I support regulation, I support capitalism, but I also have certain socialist tendencies.
Mos Definite
President Gary Busey
Rookie
United States

« Reply #420 on: March 07, 2010, 09:17:04 AM »

Socially libertarian, economically centrist-left-center.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #421 on: March 14, 2010, 10:00:58 PM »

Well, I don't mind if Vepres takes his time here. Normally I never question peoples views given what this thread is but I'm honestly sort of confused.

Indeed, aren't we all?

With respect to recent events, I never found in answer in this thread. Speak up Vepres.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #422 on: April 05, 2010, 06:27:56 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: I'm pro-life, for the most part.
Secularism: A separation of church and state is necessary for a thriving democracy. That means no creationism in public schools and no forced school prayer in public schools. Faith-based initiatives are an entirely different matter. I have no problem treating an organization with a religious affiliation the same as I would any other charitable organization.
Marriage: We must advocate marriage equality under the law.
Affirmative Action: Not only is it ineffective, it is overwhelmingly discriminatory against all races. End all race-based affirmative action policies endorsed by the government immediately. Repeal all affirmative action laws that affect private businesses.
Gun rights: Allow states the authority to create a "Can Not Carry" list for felons and the mentally disabled. Use negative checks instead of positive checks and allow sale to anyone not on the list.Allow concealed carry.
Death Penalty: Keep only for the most extreme circumstances and repeat felons.
Censorship: Eliminate public censorship. An obstruction to access of information and more dangerous to the public than anything that may be censored under such policies. Allow private companies to display the forms of speech they want, whether strictly controlled or liberally allowed.
Flag burning: Allow for native-born citizenry only.
Hate crimes/speech: No restrictions on hate speech. No hate crimes legislation. The motive of the crime doesn't increase the significance of the crime any.
Smoking: Tax cigarettes, allow private establishments to create their own restrictions.
Alcohol consumption: Lower drinking age to 18.
Euthanasia: No reason not to allow. It is far more humane than the painful deaths many medical problems can cause.
Drugs: Legalize marijuana but keep more dangerous, addictive, and uncontrollable substances regulated.
Gambling: Tax them. Discourage cities from legalizing it. Regulate heavily internet gambling.
Prostitution: Crack down on the human trafficking aspect and maintain strong regulation of the pornography industry. Decriminalize informal payments for sexual endeavors.
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: The government doesn't need to be involved in funding. Private companies will invest in research, they will be the ones profiting from it anyways.
Immigration: Enforce stricter border patrols. Crack down on, especially, those who commit felonies.
Civil Liberties: Repeal most of the PATRIOT Act. Protect privacy.
Language: English as the official language.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Decrease taxes when possible. Do NOT cut taxes in strong economic times without cutting spending (for example, the Bush tax cuts). Direct tax cuts to working families.
Employers and Employees: Weaken organized labor's vice grip on American industry. Enforce strong work safety standards and inspections of workplaces regularly.
Free trade: Leave NAFTA and other free trade agreements.
Spending: Cut spending where possible. Eliminate waste. Cut military spending. Attempt to balance budget every year, or even achieve a surplus. Focus spending on the issues that most affect Americans, not political pet projects and overseas intervention.
Social Security: Reform the system. Remove the cap for the wealthy. Force government employees to give up their pensions and accept Social Security.
Space Program: Explore and fund.
Welfare: A safety net is required. Streamline welfare programs for efficiency. Drug testing for recipients. Scale back benefits over prolonged periods of time.
Healthcare: Public option, tort reform, MSAs, and allowing purchases across state lines will all contribute to making health care less expensive, more effective, and much more accessible. No mandates, though.
Education: Increase funding, expand opportunities for public education. Stricter requirements for teachers to ensure a quality education for our youth.
Minimum Wage: Keep at a reasonable level.
Regulation: Enforcement is key. Also, government oversight of working conditions and making sure tax fraud is not committed.
Infrastructure: Use infrastructure projects to create public jobs for the unemployed.
Energy Policy: Move towards "alternative" energy. Decrease dependence on foreign oil. Allow off-shore drilling. Encourage stricter EPA standards for automobiles. Increase gasoline taxes or keep them the same.

Foreign Issues

United Nations: I don't like the UN, but we must remain there to retain our influence.
Iraq & Afghanistan: Withdrawal on an incremental basis.
Iran: Work to rebuild relations with Iran. Sit down at the negotiating table.
North Korea: Stand our ground.
Israel: There is no reason for us to support Israel. Let Israel support themselves.
Military Involvement: Attack only if attacked or provoked in manner that requires immediate and decisive action.
Military Budget: Cut spending, increase efficiency.
perdedor

« Reply #423 on: April 06, 2010, 10:05:36 AM »

Social Issues:
Abortion - Completely pro-choice, including partial birth and all three trimesters. The government should not have a hand in regulating women's reproductive organs and no, I do not believe that a fetus is life. Sorry (not really).

Gay Rights - I support completely removing the states from the issue and taking steps to ensure equality for the GLBT community. A comprehensive (Yeah, I know. This word makes me chuckle too) anti-discrimination bill ought to be passed. However, just as a note, I only support gay marriage because I know that the state will never stop recognizing marriages, which is the position I support.

Gun Control - The current regulations are fine. I will say that I do not think that gun ownership should be designated a 'god given' right and I would be perfectly content with abolishing the second amendment.

Drugs - Full legalization/regulation/taxation across the entire drug spectrum. The government should not be in the business of regulating what people do to their own bodies. This would also do considerable damage to underground drug market that is becoming increasingly violent. You could apply this same logic to prostitution.

Censorship - This goes against a core principle of mine regarding the act of covering one's eyes and shutting one's ears. People should view the world as it is naturally and not look for versions that are more comfortable.

Immigration - Serious crackdown on employers who are capitalizing on the plight of less fortunate nations/races of people. One should have to provide a valid birth certificate which the employer must verify through a federal database to recieve employment/social services. Strict penalties should be enforced against these agencies including large fines and potential jail time depending upon how many undocumented workers there are employed by the company. All of that said, legal immigration desperately needs to be simplified and citizenship easier to achieve. FWIW, I think both 'the wall' and establishing english as the national language are both stupid, nationalistic ideas.

Civil Liberties - We have them. Unfortunate a truth as it may be sometimes (teabaggers) you can't simply send the National Guard after protesters that disagree with you. Abolishing the Patriot Act and Department of Homeland Security would be a good starting point. Furthermore, ending the War on Terror would be the deathnail to most of the nationalistic propaganda that floats around this country like a foul smell.

Education - I would prefer a federal system of education that is properly funded and is actually designed to build an intelligent populace with a good sense of culture and common sense. Abolish NCLB/standardized testing, raise educational standards to be met by both teachers and students, and potentially create a mandatory two year college program to follow high school. Our people (at least on the large scale) are stupid and culturally inept. I'm left to believe that the initial failure starts with our educational system that puts more focus on sports and memorizing test answers than actual education.

Economic Issues:

Nationalization - I support nationalizing a wide array of industries including: utilities (electric, water, etc), heavy industry, mass transit, insurance (one general, universal plan), banking, health care, and energy. In addition to this, I would be completely behind universal internet access. While I could understand arguments against this, we live in a world which is almost entirely operated via the internet and it seems almost wrong to me to think that some people are denied such a tool.

Taxes - Increase them across the board in order to install new social programs. Deficit reduction is another potential benefit of this, though it is certainly a smaller priority to me than social programs. In addition to this, I believe that we should introduce new taxes on industries that are harmful to the public well being such as fast food and inefficient vehicles. I also believe that we should remove tax exempt status for religious institutions and that we should double corporate, estate, and capital gains taxes.

Minimum Wage - Should be a living wage that is adjusted for inflation and taxation. I'm thinking around 15$ an hour.

Trade - Abolish NAFTA/GATT, and install various tariffs to protect and promote American made goods.

Social Services - We need a vast overhaul of programs that are designed to help the less fortunate. This would include doubling welfare payments, making food stamps more available to the general populace, extending and increasing unemployment benefits, and establishing a state run employment agency to employ people until they are able to find another job (should they want to). You'll notice that I don't mention medicaid, this is because I am a supporter of single-payer, nationalized health care.

Foreign Issues:

War(s)/Military Intervention - Unless directly threatened with military activity, the United States should not involve its military in international disputes. The one exception I could make is the situation in Africa. If ever there was an opprtunity to truly free and bettert the lives of a people through military expedition, it would be the African continent.

Military Funding - Reduce by 75% across the board excluding pay and post-service benefits.

Foreign Aid - To be reduced.

UN - I oppose U.S. involement.

Nuclear Arms - Until the U.S. disarms and requests the same of its allies, it should stay out of the business of North Korea and Iran.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #424 on: April 06, 2010, 08:44:58 PM »

Explain.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to: