Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:12:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 558093 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: January 09, 2010, 04:11:49 PM »

Vepres, you really need to make your mind up what you are here.

This is probably the only time we'll agree on something.

You mean apart from gay marriage? And abortion?

You support state recognition of marriage and government fundings for abortion?

Our PRINCIPLES are the same. Maybe not our method.

You can't have the same principles as someone who lacks them altogether.

Indeed, the individual in question acts only out of an instinctive self-interest, not due to possessing anything resembling principles.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #376 on: January 09, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »

Keynesian economics are useful in times of extraordinary crisis. Generally, the only two instances I would have supported stimulus are the 1929 and 2008 crashes, respectively. I would not have supported stimulus in, say, 2003 or 1982 (though Reagan's tax cuts were in and of themselves a good thing).

It either works or it doesn't. Either you want a robust public sector to weather the economy, or you don't because you find that counterproductive. I may totally disagree with people like beet, lief, jfern, marokai, etc. on this matter but at least they hold consistent views in regards to what sort of economic model they want.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ok.. why?

I've already stated before why I think a complete collapse is inevitable - quadrillion derivatives market going bust (not just real estate), open talk of the dollar being dropped as a reserve currency by OPEC and brazil/russia/china/etc., zombie banks being allowed to grow thanks to the bail outs, etc. but I'd like to see your reasoning here.

Still waiting for a response I see.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #377 on: January 09, 2010, 04:29:10 PM »

Well, I don't mind if Vepres takes his time here. Normally I never question peoples views given what this thread is but I'm honestly sort of confused.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #378 on: January 09, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »

Well, I don't mind if Vepres takes his time here. Normally I never question peoples views given what this thread is but I'm honestly sort of confused.

Indeed, aren't we all?
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #379 on: January 12, 2010, 10:32:37 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2010, 10:39:47 PM by SvenssonRS »

Social: Mostly Libertarian

Abortion: Pro-choice.

Gay marriage: Personally support, and support keeping it a state issue.

Flag burning: Support banning it. Anyone who hates the country that much, I feel, should just leave it.

Illegal drugs: Support marijuana as a medical remedy. Believe in rehabilitation over punishment.

Stem-Cell Research: Support fully, but believe in holding off funding until better economic times.

Patriot Act: Repeal it like repealing is going out of style.

State's Rights: Support fully and without question.

Gun Control: Entirely against, with the exception of background checks.

Prayer in Public Schools: Oppose personally, but again, state issue. If Alabama and Oklahoma want it, let them have it.

Electoral College: Support.

Draft: Only when absolutely necessary.

Death Penalty: Support in extreme cases. If we'd just fried Manson when we first had the chance, taxpayers would be all the wealthier.

Three Strikes Laws: Oppose.

Foreign Policy - Fairly Leftist

Iraq: Shouldn't have even gone there.

Afghanistan: Is becoming a disaster. We're still not winning, Mr. President.

Iran: Should not be negotiated with so long as Amadinejad is in power. Support the protesters to...somewhat scary extents. Another story.

War on Terror: Is a very poor term, really. Intelligence and targeted strikes on leaders should prevail.

Diplomacy and Trade: Support working diplomacy and trade with friendly nations.

Torture: Stop waterboarding, without question.

Interventionism: Oppose unless the country is in immediate danger of attack.

Fiscal/Economic Policy: Centrist

Health Care: Reform is needed, but a government-run system would be crushingly costly in the end. However, we do need to protect those with preexisting conditions.

Social Security: Support as is, because it works.

Taxes: Lower and simplify taxes, plain and simple. The latter would make loopholes much more difficult.

Business: Support small, independent business. Corporations can fend for themselves and if they go under, frankly, who cares.

Welfare: Support efforts to help the working poor, so long as they don't start sinking the budget.

Stimulus and Bailouts: Were an absolute disaster despite good intentions. Support not repeating the mistake.

Deficit: Support balanced budget.

Other: Centrist

Education: Needs some reform, but the current system isn't as terrible as some say. Support homeschooling without question or doubt, due to being homeschooled.

Dept. of Education: Needs to actually do something useful.

Infrastructure: Keep funded and maintained; mainly the state and local government's job.

Environment: Support wildlife protections, and a practical approach to global warming.

Illegal Immigration: Support efforts to make legal immigration more accessible.

Ballot Access: Support allowance of access to all major third parties.

Debate Access: Allow any candidate - Presidential or Congressional - full debate access if they poll more than 15% in their respective race.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #380 on: January 17, 2010, 01:54:53 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: I'm staunchly pro-life, but support exceptions when the mother's life is in danger.
Separation of church and state: Those words appear nowhere in the Constitution. I support freedom OF religion and not freedom FROM religion.
Gay marriage: Marriage should be between a man and a woman. I support civil unions and domestic partnerships.
Affirmative action: Reverse discrimination.
Hate crimes: Not what the libs pass.
Gun control: Strongly oppose.
Death penalty: Support it for 1rst degrees murders, and eve3n serial rapists who emotionally take the lives of others, but not for statutory rape.
Flag burning: I strongly oppose it personally, but whether or not it's a 1st Amendment right is questionable.
Euthanasia: Not really.
Prostitution: Legalize it for the age of 18.
Immigration: I support legal immigration 100%. For illegal immigration: build a wall and
Drugs: Against it.
I support almost all sexuality when it's part of nature and not other preventable addictions  such as drugs.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Very low taxes.
Trade: I believe free trade grows our economy.
Spending: Gov't. Federal only for national security and states for roads and some other areas that the constitution grants, no more.
Welfare: Crap.
Education: Confused on this issue.
Regulations: Don't regulate excessively, but make sure that a Madoff scandal doesn't happen again.

Foreign Policy

Military Involvement:
Support! Especially if they are undemocratic and are supporting terrorism
United Nations: Pretty useless.
Israel: I support Israel 1000%.

You forgot to include:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2010, 03:33:48 PM »

lol
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #382 on: January 18, 2010, 04:02:00 AM »

1. Stop taking the game of politics so seriously.
2. Stop trying to control everyone's lives.
3. Spend tax-payers' money as if it were your own.

That's pretty much the gist of it.  There are of course some nuances, but none that are significant enough to note.  They fall within those three pretty well.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #383 on: January 28, 2010, 07:25:25 PM »

Abortion: Pro-life
Affirmative action: Oppose in most cases
Alternative Energies: Strongly, strongly, strongly support.
Social Security: Needs to be privatized. I think personal savings that can be stored in banks, earn interest, and help provide credit to others will work to stabilize the financial systems and social security is impossible to stabilize.
Bailouts: I oppose them on principle.
Unions: I support unions, but there needs to be a fair balance struck.
Gay marriage: Support.
Gays in the military: Support.
Taxes: Raise taxes to pay off the debt. Don't raise taxes and spend more.
Healthcare: Public option, please.
Free trade: Support with Canada and Mexico and the EU. Oppose with China and other rogue nations.
Iran: Economic sanctions.
Israel: Don't support their militarism, but also oppose any attempts to divide Israel.
Education: School vouchers, increased spending and construction of more public universities.
Iraq: Leave. Now.
Afghanistan: Get in and out as quickly as we can. We don't need to spend a century there.
Death penalty: Support.
Drug legalization: Only marijuana.
Illegal immigration: Build a wall. Enforce existing laws. No amnesty.
Prostitution: Oppose brothels and organized prostitution. If two people that know each other pay for sex, though, I don't really see how that is different from buying the girl dinner (well, it is, but it's still spending money to get the sex).
Guns: 2nd amendment forever.

That's all I can think of right now Tongue
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2010, 07:28:07 PM »

I do feel pretty estranged from the current Democratic party.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #385 on: January 29, 2010, 03:49:12 AM »

Abortion: Pro-life
Affirmative action: Oppose in most cases
Alternative Energies: Strongly, strongly, strongly support.
Social Security: Needs to be privatized. I think personal savings that can be stored in banks, earn interest, and help provide credit to others will work to stabilize the financial systems and social security is impossible to stabilize.
Bailouts: I oppose them on principle.
Unions: I support unions, but there needs to be a fair balance struck.
Gay marriage: Support.
Gays in the military: Support.
Taxes: Raise taxes to pay off the debt. Don't raise taxes and spend more.
Healthcare: Public option, please.
Free trade: Support with Canada and Mexico and the EU. Oppose with China and other rogue nations.
Iran: Economic sanctions.
Israel: Don't support their militarism, but also oppose any attempts to divide Israel.
Education: School vouchers, increased spending and construction of more public universities.
Iraq: Leave. Now.
Afghanistan: Get in and out as quickly as we can. We don't need to spend a century there.
Death penalty: Support.
Drug legalization: Only marijuana. Everything.
Illegal immigration: Build a wall. Enforce existing laws. No amnesty.
Prostitution: Oppose brothels and organized prostitution. If two people that know each other pay for sex, though, I don't really see how that is different from buying the girl dinner (well, it is, but it's still spending money to get the sex).
Guns: 2nd amendment forever.

That's all I can think of right now Tongue

Not too bad.
Jensen
geraldford76
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -8.17

« Reply #386 on: January 30, 2010, 02:58:36 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2010, 03:02:55 PM by The Last Moderate »

Ideology: Moderate to liberal

Social Issues

Basic Ideas: Libertarianish, pro-freedom

Civil Liberties: End the Patriot Act, DHS, the Anti Terrorism Act of \'96, National Security Letters, etc.
Abortion: Keep legal under all circumstances except partial-birth.
Gay Rights: I think this has been framed wrongly because rights belong to individuals not groups. Now of course I support gay adoption, military service, etc. there\'s no reason not to besides ignorance and bigotry.
Secularism: I don\'t support blue laws or teaching creationism. On the other hand people should be able to express their religious views/faith how the want and removing things like religious icons that have been near public buildings for decades is stupid.
Marriage: The government shouldn\'t be involved in \'marriage.\' Let individuals draw up their own contracts and stop favoring one group or another on taxes.
Affirmative Action: Discriminating for or against minorities is unconstitutional.
Gun rights: Repeal all gun control legislation enacted since 1934.
Death Penalty: Entirely against, even for \'enemy combatants\'.
Censorship: The FCC and \'obscenity\' laws make no sense. Abolish them.
Flag burning: Is not speech, and should be banned. There are other, more effective ways to get that point across without starting needles fires.
Hate crimes: Support stronger legislation.
Hate speech: Oppose restricting since that\'s unconstitutional and sets a horrendous precedent.
Smoking: I support smoking restrictions for public places.
Alcohol consumption: Keep at 21 for purchasing. Make consumption legal at 18.
Euthanasia: Legal when patient is of sound mind.
Drugs: Legalize marijuana and crack down on the rest.
Gambling: Illegal. Gambling serves only to hurt the poor financially.
Prostitution: Illegal for brothels and organized prostitution. Legalize if it is in a casual setting.
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Increase funding.
Immigration: Create a guest worker program but make sure our laws are enforced on both borders.
Language: English should be the official language of the US.

Economic Issues

Basic Ideas: Moderate and responsible

Taxes: Never raise taxes unless accompanied by spending cuts. Do not give tax breaks to the ultrawealthy.
Bailouts: Against.
Employers and Employees: Unions and striking should be allowed, but regulated. No one should be forced to join a union.
Free trade: Make sure American industries are competitive on a global scale. No free trade with nations whose regulations are insufficient and labor and environmental standards are subpar.
Spending: Keep spending under control, pay off debt, and cut waste.
Social Security: Privatize through use of annuities, private saving accounts, etc. and phase out the old system. Your retirement should really be your concern.
Space Program: We have a lot to gain from this potentially. Open space up to the market more and allow for some mining of resources like Helium-3.
Welfare: There needs to be a safety net, but make sure the funding  is getting to those who actually need it.
Healthcare: We need universal health care.
Education: End NCLB. Allow local districts more authority.
Minimum Wage: Keep as is.
Regulation: Simplify and enforce. Regulations should focus primarily on public health and prohibiting wild speculation (e.g. naked derivatives). In general small business is vastly over regulated. If anything, maybe regulation is less necessary than simply realizing just how much power  \'charters\' give the government over abusive corporations...
Infrastructure: Modernize and invest in new methods.
Energy Policy: End dependence on foreign oil. Promote research for renewable resources.

Foreign Issues

Basic Ideas: Non-interventionism

United Nations: Stay in the UN.
Iraq & Afghanistan: Pull out immediately.
Iran: Let Israel and co deal with it if they\'re so worried.
North Korea: Phase out troops at the border and end all aid. We\'ve been there for over 50 years, and the majority of South Koreans want us out. It\'s time to go.
Israel: Shouldn\'t get any aid either. Beyond that, Israel for better or worse is a sovereign nation now.
Military Involvement: Attack only if attacked or directly threatened.
Military Budget: Massive cuts. End no bid contracts, introduce far greater transparency, close down hundreds of bases. \'National Defense\' should be just that, defensive.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #387 on: January 30, 2010, 03:09:22 PM »

Why do you support a flag burning ban? Surely that is freedom of expression.
Jensen
geraldford76
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #388 on: January 30, 2010, 03:13:06 PM »

Why do you support a flag burning ban? Surely that is freedom of expression.

No, flag burning is just as stupid as leaf burning or arson. There is no need to burn things. The fumes are dangerous, the potential for a fire spreading is not worth the risk, and it's just another way for people to make a big deal out of something that isn't speech or expression.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #389 on: February 02, 2010, 08:33:26 PM »

So, you support banning the lighting of fires?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #390 on: February 04, 2010, 08:58:19 PM »

General philosophy: Liberal

Abortion: Should be legal during the first two trimesters.  Only to save the life of the mother thereafter.  Schools should have comprehensive sex ed. that includes education about contraceptives and alternatives to abortions.
Separation of church and state: Just as the state has no business meddling with church affairs, the church has no business meddling in state affairs.
Gay Marriage: Gays should enjoy the same benefits and responsibilities of traditional marriage as recognized by the state; however, no church should be forced to marry anybody they don't want to.  The opposite holds true as well.
Affirmative Action: The best affirmative action is to reduce educational inequalities in our public schools so that every child has the skills needed to compete for good jobs.  Direct affirmative action was appropriate at one time, but I think we're beyond that in most situations.
Age of Consent: Age of consent should be 16.
Gun rights: Generally supportive, though we should have a waiting period and background checks.  
Death Penalty: Strongly oppose
Censorship: Strongly oppose, though I do support rating systems so that parents and people in general know exactly what they're buying/seeing/hearing/etc.  But it should be no more than that:  A rating system.
Flag burning:  Should be legal in all cases.  I don't see flag burning as treachery, but a symbolic airing of grievances against the state.  It shouldn't be done lightly.
Smoking:  No smoking in public places, though we should allow for smoking rooms in private businesses (if they're separate).  
Alcohol consumption: Legal age should be lowered to 16 to purchase wine and beer and 19 to purchase liquor (to keep liquor out of high schools).  Alcohol consumption in the presence of parents should be allowed at any age.  Get rid of public intoxication laws and allow drinking in public.
Euthanasia: Support in cases of terminal illness.
Drugs: Support legalization of marijuana and other "soft" drugs with state regulation as with tobacco and alcohol.  Money raised from the taxes should go to support recovery/rehabilitation programs.
Gambling: I support it, but I recognize the help it has given Native American tribes in lifting many out of abject poverty.
Prostitution: Leave this to the states.  I support regulated prostitution.
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Strongly support.
Immigration:  We need to make legal immigration much easier.  No quotas, though immigration could be reduced if need be.
Illegal Immigration:  Give them a chance to become legal immigrants through an easier, reformed system.  Those that fail should be sent home.

Economic Issues

General Philosophy: Liberal

Taxes: Keep corporate taxes, but lower the rates.  Cut business taxes for small businesses drastically.  Institute a progressive income tax with the largest chunk of government revenue coming from this source.  Have a highly progressive capital gains tax that taxes excessive capital gains while promoting investment among Americans in general.
Employers and Employees: I support the right for unions to form without intimidation by either side, overseen and those rights guaranteed by an objective mix of union and business.  Unions that strike legitimately and legally should be protected from being fired as long as negotiations are made in good faith and the strike doesn't seriously harm the public in general.
Free trade: I support fair trade.  We need to hold our trading partners to the same standards that we hold our own workers.
Spending:  Institute pay-go.  Cut non-personnel and war related defense expenditures by 10% across the board.  Scrub the rest of the budget.  Ask each department to come up with 10% savings.  Identify any programs among those 10% that could be reformed and cut the rest.
Social Security: Lift the cap on payroll taxes.  Increase the retirement age to 70 over a period of years.  Increase benefits for the poorest while reducing them for the richest.
Space Program: Support.  The government should partner with private interests with the government focusing on research and initial training.  Allow private enterprise to take over non-close orbit space travel with government subsidies to begin.
Welfare:  Full, generous benefits for the non-working disabled and single parents with young children.  Give rent/mortgage assistance to the needy and utility aid as well.  Make cash benefits dependent on searching for work or furthering your education.  Fully subsidize tuition for the poor at public colleges and universities.
Healthcare: We need strong regulation of the private insurance industry when it comes to paperwork.  There should be simplified procedures that are uniform across the industry.  There should be a cap on overhead costs as well.  All children under 18 and college students under 25 as well as the disabled and indigent and those over 65 should be covered by a single payer government run insurance program.  Leave private coverage to healthy, working adults.  Insurance exchanges should be part of the answer as well with community insurance co-ops an option like credit unions vs. banks.
Education: At the federal level:  Uniform basic standards of learning for the entire nation.  This includes math and science standards and applicable social studies and english/grammar.  The states reserve the right to fine tune and change these standards where deemed necessary.  The federal government should provide equalization money among states as well as funding for special education.  I support an equalization system in the states funded by income taxes so that property poor school districts have the resources to give their students a world class education.  Give ultimate authority to the local school districts when it comes to how they spend money.
Minimum Wage: We need a federal minimum wage that is tied to the cost of living.  States reserve the right to go above and beyond the federal minimum.
Regulation:  In some markets, regulation is a must.  We need a well regulated banking industry as well as food and drug safety.  We also need strong environmental protection.  In most cases, the freer the market, the freer the people is sound... but basic necessities need to be regulated as to promote the health and wellbeing of the public.
Infrastructure: First and foremost we need to rethink how we do transportation in this country.  Gas taxes need to reflect a percentage of the gas price per gallon.  We need to bring our roads and bridges into good condition, replacing the outdated, and expanding and providing transit alternatives for congestion relief.  We need to invest heavily into a world class high speed rail system that connects all of the major cities in this country at speeds up to 220mph.  While it is not feasible to take a train from NY to LA, it would make sense to take a train from NY to Cleveland or Cleveland to Chicago or Atlanta to DC or Miami to Charlotte.  Once we've got a national high speed network, we can focus on regional and local lines.  The federal government needs to undertake this.  We should also be funding local transit projects in cities.  We also need to update and expand our energy infrastructure.  It is clearer and clearer that electric cars are going to be the future.  We don't have the capacity in our power grid to charge cars for everybody in the nation.  We need to be prepared.  We also need to heavily invest in revamping our dams and other infrastructure so we don't have failures that can cost lives.
Energy Policy: We need to massively increase nuclear power.  This must be the backbone of our energy requirements while we phase out coal and natural gas and develop wind, solar, and biomass technologies.  While nuclear isn't renewable and it has its dangers, it is incredibly efficient.  Old coal stations should be replaced with nuclear and newer, cleaner coal plants should be used as peak use plants.
Environment:  We need sustainability.  We need to require sustainable forestry practices that promote healthy forests for wildlife while meeting our demands for wood products.  We also need sustainable grassland programs.  If people would eat more buffalo/bison and less beef, it would greatly improve the prairies.  This is because the diet of Bison are different than cattle and the American prairie has evolved with bison so that they coexist nicely.  Eating bison instead of beef is also healthier as bison is lower in fat and cholesterol, so it's a win-win.. while bison is still very flavorful.  We also need to strictly regulate our fisheries so they are sustainable as well.  End bottom trawling.  Government should lower subsidies on corn and soybeans and raise them on fresh fruits and vegetables so that everybody can afford healthier food choices.  Also, for every ounce of meat you forego, you could eat 10 ounces of vegetables and have the same environmental impact.  

We need to focus on having the smallest impact possible while maintaining a high quality of life.  We need to realize that quality of life isn't borne out of "bigger is always better" and "More is always better"... but that we should focus on family and community as the foundations of good quality of life.  If we can do this, the environment will greatly benefit.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #391 on: February 04, 2010, 08:59:09 PM »

Foreign Issues

General Philosophy: I don't know.

Democracy and Trade: I support both, but movements towards democracy should be home grown.  We should assist if they ask.
United Nations: The idea of an international body is important in today's world.  It should not hold any legal jurisdiction, however.
Iraq: Strongly opposed to our invasion of Iraq, though if peace and stability can remain in this fledgling democracy, I won't deny the victory there.
Israel: Support two state proposal.  No economic or military aid except for defense in extreme situations.  We were instrumental in putting them there, we should help them out when they really need it.  Palestinians and Jewish Israelis will have to learn to coexist.
Patriot Act: Strongly Oppose
Torture: Strongly Oppose.  It is inhumane and ineffective.
Military Involvement:  Oppose in most circumstances.  We need to focus more on our own defense.  Return the National Guard to being the national guard... so they can respond to domestic crises when needed.
North American Union: A union that sets up free trade and free travel amongst the nations is a good idea.  Also, legislation that affects all parties could be promoted by a stronger union, but ultimately these proposed laws would have to be approved by the legislative bodies of each respective country in order to maintain national sovereignty.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #392 on: February 04, 2010, 09:33:39 PM »

Abortion: Pro-Choice
Iraq: Anti-War
Israel: Gotta agree with Snowguy.
Gay Marraige: Pro.
Flag Bruning: Legal in all cases.
Death Penalty: Strongly Oppose.
Health Care: Pro-Public Option.
Environment: Strong legislation to lower pollution and stop global warming.
Gun Control: Pro.
Patriot Act: STRONGLY oppose.
Social Security: Support.
Stem Cell Research: Support

Jensen
geraldford76
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: February 04, 2010, 09:34:29 PM »

So, you support banning the lighting of fires?

No.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #394 on: February 04, 2010, 09:38:33 PM »

Gerald Ford 76, why are you a Republican?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #395 on: February 04, 2010, 10:17:32 PM »

I see no difference.
Jensen
geraldford76
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #396 on: February 05, 2010, 01:21:01 AM »

Gerald Ford 76, why are you a Republican?

I am a renegade. Smiley
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #397 on: February 24, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »

Free trade is 'yucky'? I think you'd find a majority of economicists disagree with you there.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #398 on: February 25, 2010, 12:04:26 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2010, 10:56:22 AM by Hussein Bin Tatal »

Social issues: Immoral Antigovernment Libertine

Abortion: Prochoice
Immigration: Pro-Amnesty
Marriage: Get the government out of it completely. It shouldn't be you and me and the state of Nevada, it should be you and me and if permitting, about 5 other people. Everybody should be able to marry anyone or anything in multiples if they want to. Love makes people do crazy things, embrace it.
Flag Burning: Support it, especially if it's cold outside
Free Speech: Support completely and get rid of all censorship laws. This includes no fines on networks for bad language and "fair speech" laws.
War on Drugs: End it. We should be throwing in child molesters and wife beaters, not crackheads. Plus, legalize drugs to spur the snack vendor industry.
Affirmative Action: Endorses collective racism. Reinforces stereotype that some people are collectively stupider than another.
Gun control: Gun control is a backwards draconian statist policy. Why should I support something the KKK supported to disarm blacks in the late 1800s? The idea that we can still be free when only the coercive arms of government are armed is like saying the sheep would be safer sleeping with wolves.
Death Penalty: What? Being another dude's butt buddy for the rest of his life isn't enough? If I was a psycho serial killer I think I would rather go to prison for 3 months and then get injected over being butt humped for the next 50 years. That's why I'm against the death penalty, I think the threat of eternal butt rape is alot more of a deterent than "we'll friggin kill you!" Plus, if there are no death penalties it's impossible to accidently kill the wrong man. What the hell? I don't like the death penalty because it's wrong, alright?
Voluntary Euthanasia: Totally legalize it. If you want to kill yourself it's a voluntary action (there's my answer for suicide). If you want someone else to do it, sign a release waiver on your life and have the ender sign also with a third party witness to prove it's legit for this person to kill you.
Draft: Get rid of it, NOW.
Patriot Act, domestic spying, etc.: Get rid of it. The government has no right to be spying our phone lines. There is a correct way to do searches, it's called A WARRANT. All you have to do is fill out a friggin piece of paper to search somebody. Why is the government so lazy it can't even sign a piece of paper before searching somebody?
Stem Cell Research: We have to use those fetuses for something.....
States Rights: The power of the states should be a little more respected. For example, if a state passes drug legalization the federal government shouldn't overrule it.
Three Strikes Law: Against, what if the person in question commits three petty crimes? It's too excessive and broad.
Prostitution: Legalize, you know what they say: sex sells.
Separation of Church and State: Stop enforcing your fake god on us! It's called separation of church and state for a reason!! Stop bribing public officials to enforce your backwards social agenda! Now if you just want to preach in your churches or hell even have radio stations or tv stations, fine. Just don't have the government give you any special favors. For it is written "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibit the free exercise thereof."
Electoral College: I guess we should keep it, but needs reform.

Foreign Policy: Free Trade monger
War on Terror: Stop pissing people off and giving them a reason to kill us. Let the Mideast solve it's own problems.
Palestine: It's really none of our business what happens in Palestine. We should take a neutral role and have free trade relationships with both sides.
Israel: I hate to sound like an Israel hating bastard but we should let them be. They already got enough of our military technology to ward off full on invasions from 6 different fronts. And if they get wiped off the face of the planet by an Iranian nuke........sorry, shouldn't be our problem. Our support for Israel is what got us in hot water in the Middle East, maybe if we let everyone fight their own battles they won't have a reason to kill us. However, we should have a free trade relationship with them.
War in Iraq: Get out now and let them destroy themselves. Sadaam was a dick and the world may arguably be a better place with him gone but the people of Iraq need to grow their own balls and learn how to defend themselves without having us baby them.
Iran: Do you really think Iran would be stupid enough to nuke us? Epic fail. People forget about the concept of Mutually Assured Destruction so quickly. We should stop acting like dicks to them and start a mutual trade relationship with them. The more we trade with nations that don't like us the more they will like us because who doesn't like cable tv?
North Korea: Like I said, M.A.D. They're probably just freaked out because we're constantly threatening to kick their asses. THis isn't 1952, this is 2009. Things have changed. We should begin a mutual trade relationship with them like we should China which would do way more to destroy authoritarian communism than say an all out invasion that costs hundreds of billions of dollars a year.
9/11: Not real sure anymore. Could've been the government, could've actually been terrorists. What I do know is that it's gotten us into a lot of s#$t.
Afghanistan: Get the hell out and sign a free trade agreement.
Pakistan: Stop harrasing them and sign a free trade agreement.
Torture: Not necessary and not ethical. Can't we just bribe them? Who can't resist free cable?!
Diplomacy: Should always be the 1st step and always preferable to war.
Free Trade Agreement: If Diplomacy works, should always be the 2nd step.
Military involvement: Should require a damn good reason. Pre-emptive military action is not an option. President doesn't have authority to declare war, only Congress does. This option should be a VERY LAST RESORT.

Economic Issues: Capitalist Loving Bastard
Taxes: Eliminate the income tax gradually. Enact across the board tax cuts on a "progressive scale" on par with reduced spending.. There are lots of other taxes out there to pay for stuff.
Welfare: Get rid of it, gradually. You don't need to be dependent on government, you've got friends and family who'll always be looking out for you..go to them when you're down on your luck. Also, there are charitable organizations that do exist that takes care of people down on their luck and two words: soup kitchen.
Trade: This protectionist Bulls*$t has got to end. The idea that by antagonizing our fellow trade partners with excessive tariffs and other economically nationalist ideas will somehow juice up our economy is insane. We benefit from trade with other nations, penaltilizing our trade partners is no way to get them to be more open to trading with us.
Health Care: Leave it up to each individual state to decide what kind of healthcare system they want.
Spending: Can the military budget, eliminate or reform ineffective programs.
Education: Start up a voucher program so kids not well off can get into private schools easier to help spurce competition between the schools to provide the best possible education for our nation's children. Keep public schools since competition with private schools for the most kids will encourage public school systems to become better at educating kids instead of teaching them how to pass year end exams that won't mean anything 10 years from now.
Regulations: Support environmental regulations (but not excessive), I don't want some company's toxic waste in my backyard. Kind of iffy on anti-trust and monopoly regulations. Against anti-trust.

Update
Changes are in bold.
Funny how I seem to be where I was when I first got on here.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #399 on: February 25, 2010, 04:13:51 AM »

I Purple heart your views Mech.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies