Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:55:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 557892 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2008, 09:06:31 PM »

Cheesy
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2008, 09:14:57 PM »

You mean the slaver revolt. Tongue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »

Or simply the Slaver Riot. Tongue
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2008, 09:42:25 PM »

War of Negro Oppression is another name for it of course.
defe07

« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2008, 02:15:53 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2008, 02:25:18 AM by defe07 »

Here's where I stand:

Cultural Issues:

Abortion: Pro-choice with some restrictions, but restrictions should be determined at the state level

Gay Marriage: Pro-gay marriage and civil unions, but decisions should be left at the state level and there should be no federal definition of marriage

Affirmative Action: Oppose AA because it’s reverse discrimination

Gun Control: Oppose gun control at the federal level, respect the 2nd Amendment, but bans on the most dangerous weapons should be controlled at the state level

Death Penalty: Oppose but on a case by case basis for the most serious crimes

Censorship: Oppose because it should be up to each person

Flag Burning: Support because it’s freedom of speech

Hate Crimes/Speech: Neutral but it’s all about free speech, oppose hate crimes though

Smoking: Support leaving smoking bans up to the owners of a place, not the government

Alcohol consumption: Support responsible fines for DUI

Euthanasia: Support because it’s a person’s body

Gambling: Support but it should be up to the states

Prostitution: Support but it should be up to the states

Embryonic Stem-Cell Research: Support stem-cell research with private funds

Sex Education: Support because of teaching teens responsibility

Drug War & Marijuana: Oppose the War on Drugs, legalize medical marijuana and let states control drugs with their own laws

Voting access: Support the paper ballot with a bar code to cast the ballot twice, once in a computer and once in a ballot box

Illegal Immigration: Oppose by getting rid of the welfare state and holding employers accountable, no amnesty but yes to border security and serious immigration law reform

Patriot Act: Oppose because it’s a threat to our constitutional rights

Economic issues

Social Security & Other Entitlements: Support offering alternative accounts for those that want to opt out of the system, SS should be left to the states with some federal funding as a safety-net

Medicare: Support by giving tax credits and vouchers to the lower-income and middle-income people and giving them the choice between public healthcare and private healthcare, minimize Medicare to the state level 

Medicaid: Same as above

Welfare: Support more influence from charities instead of government

Education: Support vouchers and tax credits for the middle-income and lower-income people, let parents decide between private education and public education, federal government should have a smaller role in education (give states more power)

Taxes: Support drastic tax cuts for the middle-class and poor and tax cuts for small businesses, simplify tax code

Spending: Support spending control and accountability with fiscal policies by implementing the BBA

Minimum Wage: It has been shown to be inefficient many times over, including by the Congressional Budget Office. Abolish the Federal Minimum Wage. Expand the Earned Income Tax Credit and support for charities or similar relief instead. Support the EITC and gradually do away with the minimum wage

Eminent Domain: Oppose because it’s not fair to see special interests gaining from this

Infrastructure: Support better building, less funding for massive highways

Energy Independence and the Environment: Support alternative energy for the long term, support letting Alaskans what to do with ANWR but personally don’t favor drilling, alternatives like hemp could get us off oil

Currency: Support the gold standard and maybe silver too

Trade Policy: Support trade between individuals of two countries, not the governments-backed trade of the present; trade agreements need to be reformed and real free trade respected

Foreign Policy

Military Involvement: We must focus on our problems, we shouldn’t be involved

Iraq: It was unconstitutional, troops must be brought back home as soon as possible

Cuba: The embargo is preventing free trade to reach Cubans and it should be abolished, although there should be a brokered deal

Israel: Support a neutral stance between Israel and Palestine; it’s not our fight (thanks Brits!)

Iran: Oppose any military action; trade with them

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #180 on: July 12, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »

So Fezzy, outside of foreign policy, where do we disagree?

The War of Northern Agression Southern Illegality Southern stupidity.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #181 on: July 12, 2008, 07:14:24 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #182 on: July 12, 2008, 08:20:50 PM »

The Pledge of Allegiance is an interesting issue indeed.  The 'under God' nonsense is a complete political albatross for anyone who dares oppose it, not that anyone in federal office would.

The better question is why we ought to have any pledge in the first place.  Regardless of any religious references it might contain.
It's optional isn't it?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2008, 09:00:12 AM »

I must add a new one I thought of:

Legalize marijuana and other drugs.  Set high taxes similar to cigarettes, and after one year total the tax money.  Then use some kind of mathematical formula to determine how much money that is in gas taxes, and cut gas tax by that amount.  Legalize pot, save money on gas!  Who would have thought?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2008, 10:09:16 AM »

Or simple "The War to put down those damned uppity tweakers"
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2008, 10:16:50 AM »

No. How about we abolish all sin/excise taxes for drugs/tobacco/booze?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #186 on: July 19, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »

No. How about we abolish all sin/excise taxes for drugs/tobacco/booze?

Hey. That's more taxes there, fewer taxes elsewhere.

I am worried about ending the protection of people idiots with money that don't deserve it.- Legalize Gambling.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: July 19, 2008, 10:22:45 AM »

Sin taxes are social engineering and hurt the lower classes.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2008, 10:25:10 AM »

The Pledge of Allegiance is an interesting issue indeed.  The 'under God' nonsense is a complete political albatross for anyone who dares oppose it, not that anyone in federal office would.

The better question is why we ought to have any pledge in the first place.  Regardless of any religious references it might contain.
It's optional isn't it?

Generally speaking, but certainly some schools force their students to say it. At least, the pressure to do so is greater than it should be, and the time lost is not worth it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »

Sin taxes are social engineering and hurt the lower classes.

Good point. In fact, most of these drug control laws have their roots in racism. Especially pot and cocaine.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2008, 10:27:13 AM »

Anyone who supports the war on drugs or tobacco bans/restrictions/taxes is a morally disgusting individual.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #191 on: July 19, 2008, 11:06:25 AM »

It's optional isn't it?

That doesn't explain why there needs to be a Pledge in the first place.

Either way, I can remember quite well the pressure to say the Pledge, particularly in the earlier years of schooling.  One Jehovah's Witness student who stood in respect but stayed silent during the Pledge was the subject of much suspicion and backdoor chatter.
That it would be a good thing that students should have to face this is something I vehemently disagree with.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2008, 11:41:02 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2008, 11:44:21 PM by officepark »

I am a total social libertarian, with the exception that I am pro-life, oppose hate crime legislation, pro-censorship, anti-drug, anti-prostitution, and I don't support any extreme issues, albeit the separation of church and state, where most would consider me to be very extreme (ie taking "under God" out of the pledge of allegiance, "in God we trust" out of money", and the 10 Commandments off of governmentally-run buildings.)

Economically, however, I am much more complicated.  I am an economic moderate/liberal.  On the liberal side, I oppose the modern privization attempts by Republicans, mostly oppose welfare reform (because I feel that it is my job as a human being to help a person live, even if he will not help him/herself), support labor unions, support agricultural subsidies, am pro-environment, strongly in support of affirmative action, oppose tort reform, and oppose school vouchers.  However, my Conservative economic views are these:  I oppose progressive taxation, support a flatter, more fair tax system, I am a deficit hawk, support tax cuts for all, especially the wealthy, and would have supported Bush's tax cuts had the deficit not been so astronomical; I oppose special interest groups getting funding from the government (NASA, I'm talkin' to you!), oppose the pessimistic comments made by the majority of the Democratic party criminalizing the rich, support school choice in a non-voucher system, support the rights of businesses over ethics, oppose big spending in general, oppose efforts to encourage immigration or lessen the amount of years it takes to immigrate, and support protectionism in trade with other countries.  And I have no official opinion on free/fair trade, embargos on China and Cuba, and health care, among several other economic issues I cannot remember at the moment.

And, foreign policy-wise, I'm a dove.  (Although I don't support UN approval to go to war).  Expanding on this, I don't believe that one can go to war with a non-existing country, such as "Terrorism," but military intervention into terrorist networks is advisable.  Oppose Iraq.  As far as Israel and Palestine go, I support offering military aid to Israel if other nations declare war on them for being the only official Jewish nation.  I also believe that Israel treats Palestine unfairly, and Palestinians have just as much a right to live in that country as the Jewish people; it is, after all, both of our holy lands, and I would suggest a separation of church and state to ease tensions in Israel.

So those are my positions on the issues.  Let's hear some of you.

Now even though I am a staunch conservative, I could support a candidate with positions like yours. Except of course for your position on God in the state, vouchers and affirmative action.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2008, 02:45:14 PM »

Anyone who supports the war on drugs or tobacco bans/restrictions/taxes is a morally disgusting individual.

I certainly don't support the war on drugs, but at the same time, I wouldn't go as far as to say those that do are "morally disgusting". It's a ridiculous assertion.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #194 on: December 02, 2008, 03:01:07 PM »

wow I hate myself Sad
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #195 on: December 02, 2008, 03:14:07 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2008, 03:15:42 PM by Mint »

I've advocated worse. Almost as bad as Dole, actually.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »

I am mainly a Paleoconservative but I am also against the drug war, support conservation and animal rights. I also support some wealth redistribution against the ultra elites.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2008, 04:20:38 PM by Mideast Governor Benconstine »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Centrist, slight conservative tilt.

Abortion: Support in cases of rape, incest, threat to the mother, and during the first and second trimesters.  Oppose third term trimesters, and supported the partial-birth abortion ban.

Separation of Church and State: There should not be an established religion, although I don’t take it to an extreme level.  There’s nothing wrong with a nativity scene/Christmas Tree, so long as a Chanukah Bush or Kwanza thingy can go up as well.

Marriage: Oppose any changes to the definition of marriage as it stands today.  I would support allowing full marriage benefits to gay/lesbian couples.

Affirmative Action: Oppose for the most part.

Gun Control: Oppose for the most part, support 2nd Amendment.

Death Penalty: Support keeping it legal but there need to be better guidelines for how it is sentenced.

Censorship: Some restrictions on public TV/radio waves, little restriction on pay TV/radio. Support some filtering of the internet at public schools and libraries.

Flag burning: Opposed to a law/amendment to ban flag burning, as it is a 1st Amendment right.

Hate crimes: I support hate crime legislation.

Hate speech: I generally support hate speech legislation.

Smoking: Opposed to laws that restrict where and when a person can smoke. This is a decision to be left up to the owner and the consumer.

Alcohol consumption: Support lowering the age to 18.

Euthanasia: Oppose legalization of euthanasia.

Drugs: Oppose legalization in general.

Gambling: Support its legalization.

Prostitution: Oppose its legalization.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: I fully support government funding of stem cell research.

Immigration: Oppose increasing the ease with which skilled and unskilled immigrants can enter the country, provided they have no criminal record. Those who enter illegally should be sent back, unless they have a solid job and no criminal record of any kind.

Economic Issues

General Philosophy: Liberal

Taxes: I support cutting taxes on people making under $225,000 per year, and increasing them for everyone else.

Unions: I fully support unions, as well as the repeal of the Slave Labor Act, AKA Taft-Hartley.

Free trade: Oppose in almost every circumstance.

Spending: I support cutting unnecessary spending, such as bridges to nowhere in Alaska, but I oppose cuts in subsidies, Medicare/Medicaid, social security, pensions, etc.

Social Security: Oppose all privatization measures.

Workers' Rights: I support some protection for workers, but I oppose legislation telling people who they can/cannot fire.  If the company had a poor reason, it will come out in court.

Space Program: Would support funding the thing if it was shown there was some use from the program.

Welfare: I support giving temporary welfare, but believe a cap should be put on how long a person can be on welfare, unless they have a disability that prevents them from finding work.

Healthcare: I support a universal health care system, paid for by the government, allowing people to choose any health care provider they want.

Education: I oppose vouchers completely, and support increasing spending on teacher training.

Foreign Issues

General Philosophy: Interventionist

Anti (fill in the blank) Treaty: Generally support

United Nations: I support staying, but we need to find a way to make it more effective.

Iraq: We should begin to withdraw, but maintain troops until it becomes clear that the Iraqi Government is stable and can take of itself and its citizens.

Israel: Strong supporter of Israel.

Iranl: We need to find a way to prevent a nuclear Iran; we cannot meet unconditionally with their leaders, but we should meet with them.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2008, 07:52:08 PM »

Abortion: Pro-choice, but a non-issue for me.

Death Penalty: I support it for the most heinous crimes such as high treason in wartime, recidivist rapists and serial murderers

School prayer: Strongly oppose

Separation of church and state: Strongly, strongly, very strongly support.

Embryonic Stem-Cell Research: Strongly support

Gay Marriage: I oppose gay marriage (but I oppose an amendment outlawing it) but support civil unions.

Sex Education: Teach the children what they need to know.

Gun Control:  I support tougher gun controls to prevent former criminals etc. from getting guns.

Drug War & Marijuana: Legalize medicinal marijuana, and that's it. I'm very conservative when it comes to drugs.

Voting access: Uhm, what? I don't see any reason to change current laws. But I'm skeptic about electronic thingee whingees.

Illegal Immigration: I support a path to citizenship, or regularization of status, if that immigrant has learned English, found a job, and has no past criminal record.

Welfare: Increase it a tad, but encourage other options

Education: Provide free, quality, public education to all. CB should be a model for public schools Tongue

Taxes: Lower taxes a bit for the lowest classes, and increase it for the top classes.

Minimum Wage: Increase, but no need for a timetable or stuff for increasing it

Energy Independence and the Environment: Oppose ethanol fuel, support Kyoto, support renewable energies for cars and so forth. Oppose ANWR drilling and support more public and railway transportation.

Iraq: Phased, timelined withdrawal of troops

Afghanistan: Focus on fighting terrorism in Afghanistan. The problem is there.

United Nations: Support, but reform it.

Iran: Tough stance with Iran, but war as an absolute last resort.

Region-specific issues for France:

35-hours workweek: Strongly oppose. Either scrap it, or depenalize companies with employees working more than 35 hours.

Institutional reform: Support all parts of it, but also support looking into a directly elected Senate. Especially like the initiatives, but I'd prefer a lower number of signatures necessary to actually make it a real thing.

EU: Support it. But oppose bureaucratic tendencies and bureaucratic rules and regulations. Oppose Turkish entry into the EU.

Environment: see above, and support all recommendations of the Grenelle. And apply them too.

Immigration: Oppose mass regularization of all illegals, but support a strict case-by-case system and implement a system to allow only the needed legal immigrants.

Specific to Canada:

Afghanistan: see above

Senate/Electoral reform: Elect Senate by proportional representation and elect Commons by current FPTP. Support referendums on electoral reform modes such as STV or MMP (prefer MMP)

Stephane Dion: Happy birthday Steph!

Stephen Harper: Is useless, incompetent, and humiliation. Like his cabinet and his party.

Alberta: Sucks and can secede anytime.

Environment: see above
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2008, 11:10:20 PM »

support conservation and animal rights. I also support some wealth redistribution against the ultra elites.

And you say you aren't a National Socialist?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies