SENATE BILL: An Actual End to Imperialism Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:31:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: An Actual End to Imperialism Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: An Actual End to Imperialism Act (Failed)  (Read 3953 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2014, 11:45:34 PM »

NAY
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2014, 07:35:23 AM »

Aye
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2014, 10:42:07 PM »

For the sake of Information:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=186571.msg4091837#new
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2014, 12:41:07 AM »

NAY

I don't think this is the right time for this.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2014, 04:48:15 AM »

If a deal is in place, I think we should restructure this to incorporate that new information.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We should probably honor our SoEA's word here.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2014, 04:49:23 AM »

In accordance with all that, I am changing my vote to:

NAY

We can assess the peace terms closely and come to a less forceful solution, now that we know Israel has come to the table.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2014, 07:05:02 AM »

NAY

This can be ended since there are more nays then ayes. Time expires in a few hours.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2014, 07:42:27 AM »

Thank you Tyrion for understanding that we are dealing, in many ways, with an Israeli Government much more commited with peace...
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2014, 07:04:33 PM »

Well, this is a truly outstanding development. While I have decided to keep my vote as it is (and I mantain my criticism of the State of Israel in issues like the settlements), I'm glad to see that the government of Israel is actually willing to go ahead and come to the table.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2014, 07:00:23 PM »

I have been away and haven't followed this closely yet, but has anyone considered the economic impact these cuts would cause? I am also not in favor of decreasing our presence on the international stage and very much believe Atlasia needs to continue to be a global power and world leader.

I do favor reducing our military presence to a certain extend and gradually winding some things down, but cutting nearly all of our military and intelligence budgets in half immediately is not something I am willing to do. The world will not be a better place with a severely weakened Atlasia, especially one weakened so quickly. 
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »

"The world" should defend itself. They can make up the difference by increasing their own military budgets. We shouldn't be in the business of subsidizing the defense of Europe so that they can spend their money on building their own welfare states. We should build our welfare state and trim our defense spending.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2014, 04:24:43 PM »

"The world" should defend itself. They can make up the difference by increasing their own military budgets. We shouldn't be in the business of subsidizing the defense of Europe so that they can spend their money on building their own welfare states. We should build our welfare state and trim our defense spending.
Do you know the second world war TNF?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2014, 04:29:26 PM »

No, never heard of it. Tongue

Let the Europeans defend themselves. I'm tired of paying for their free ride. That cash can be better spent at home.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2014, 04:37:36 PM »

But I love Europeans! My motherland of Greece is in Europe, and she needs all the help she can get!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »

Well, the military aid this Act would cut is only 3 Billion, so I guess the point of "repeating the 1930's" in regards to Europe not as valid as it would be with OTL American military aid. The defense cuts, though, should be the main issue. I choose to concentrate on an amendment on Israel to clear that point, and while I applaud the increase of Military Retirement spending, cutting our actual defense budget in half might not prove wise. We don't have a Secretary of Defense, but perhaps the GM could give us the narrative of what our generals think about this?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2014, 04:43:25 PM »

Let the Europeans defend themselves. I'm tired of paying for their free ride. That cash can be better spent at home.
They won t be able to defend themselves and you know that.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2014, 05:53:08 PM »

Well, the military aid this Act would cut is only 3 Billion, so I guess the point of "repeating the 1930's" in regards to Europe not as valid as it would be with OTL American military aid. The defense cuts, though, should be the main issue. I choose to concentrate on an amendment on Israel to clear that point, and while I applaud the increase of Military Retirement spending, cutting our actual defense budget in half might not prove wise. We don't have a Secretary of Defense, but perhaps the GM could give us the narrative of what our generals think about this?

Good idea for a General Open Letter showing their distaste against this terrible bill that would cut their budget in half! Perhaps, I will use my Roleplaying powers!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2014, 01:31:52 AM »

Vote on Amendment 59:103 by Lumine

Aye (3): Lumine, Talleyrand, and TNF
Nay (7): bore, DC al Fine, Goldwater, Mr. X, NC Yankee, shua and TyriontheImperialist
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):

With time having expired, this can be declared has having failed.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »

Why not? They're big boys. They can handle the strain of having to spend money on their own defense, can they not?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »

Why not? They're big boys. They can handle the strain of having to spend money on their own defense, can they not?
Yeah, David against Goliath! You know, they may win Tongue.

No seriously TNF, you know they can't defend themselves against this folk of alcoholic homophobics.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »

Yeah, David against Goliath! You know, they may win Tongue.

No seriously TNF, you know they can't defend themselves against this folk of alcoholic homophobics.

I fail to see why Atlasia should subsidize the military of a rich country like France or the UK.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »

For freedom! We don't want them under tyranny anymore than they want to be under tyranny. If we make deep cuts and reduce our military and intelligence footprints immediately, it will not benefit the world at all.

Sure, we can say that their problems aren't ours, but something if we ignore their problems, they will become ours. See WWII, WWI, etc.

We have made strides in the past, in bills authored or amended by yours truly, to close bases that are unnecessary and wind down some of our spending. I am willing to cut it back more gradually, but I don't favor reducing our intelligence agencies because I find those are most important.

So, thats where I stand. Take it or leave it - I expect people to not take it, but oh well, I made my position clear. Tongue
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »

By a vote of 7-3, the amendment has failed.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2014, 04:12:17 PM »

As for the first section, it won't be of much help to the people who need it if we are forgiving debts of corrupt governments with no strings attached.  Is there any way we can narrow this?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »

Strangely, I would support European nations increasing their contributions
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length