Why are conservatives always joking about murdering liberals? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:55:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are conservatives always joking about murdering liberals? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are conservatives always joking about murdering liberals?  (Read 8788 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« on: February 28, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »

What I see is an increasing pattern of right-wingers using the dregs of society (low-brow comedians, shock-jocks, degenerate rock stars - I'm looking at you, Nugent) to give themselves "street cred" among a certain set of voters.

Old-guard conservatives like wealthy industrialists and elitist snobs - the William F. Buckley types - cannot appeal to the demographic that the conservative movement now depends on.  So they have increasingly made a devil's pact with degenerates whose political motives are beyond suspect.  Ted Nugent, for example, isn't really a conservative in the Goldwater/Reagan/Buckley/Kirk sense.  He probably has no clue who William F. Buckley and Russell Kirk were, and would punch them in the face if he met them.  He's also a philandering, amoral, vulgar hedonist who is the antithesis of everything that the moralists like Buchanan, Robertson, and Falwell stand/stood for.

However, the Ted Nugents and Larry the Cable Guys are attracted to the Right simply because the values of the Left - equality, inclusiveness, feminism, and progress - are so disgusting to their little reptile brains.  Not because they are actual conservatives.

So, having enlisted these morons in their quest to appeal to blue-collar male voters (an insult to good, hard-working blue-collar men, I might point out), they have allowed this knuckle-dragging, thuggish mentality to infect the right-wing message in general.  The Right has become meaner as a consequence.  Thus polite discourse has given way to death threats and the like.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 11:46:31 AM »

I think this is certainly a more American thing than European.

Conservatism in Europe is a wholly different beast than it is in America, of course.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:11:40 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2014, 12:18:00 PM by Beef »

I think this is certainly a more American thing than European.

A lot of this goes back to Rush Limbaugh, who in the late-80s and early-90s used inflammatory rhetoric to appeal to a certain segment of disaffected, insecure white male voters.  It was highly successful in converting would-be Democrats to the Republican cause.  As the 90s and 2000s went on, especially with the advent of Fox News, more media pundits followed in Limbaugh's mold, and one after the next kept taking things a step further.

I don't know if the media landscape or political divisions would allow this to happen anywhere in Europe.  A Rush Limbaugh type is not going to turn a Social Democrat/Labour into a Conservative.  Maybe towards some sort of hard-right nationalist xenophobic party like the BNP, but God help us all if a party like that gains any kind of stake in government anywhere.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies