Why are conservatives always joking about murdering liberals?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:21:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are conservatives always joking about murdering liberals?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why are conservatives always joking about murdering liberals?  (Read 8770 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:46:22 AM »
« edited: February 28, 2014, 10:50:12 AM by HockeysBack »

I mean, tasteless "humor" like this..

http://conservativehideout.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/larry-the-cable-guy.jpg

Is pretty common among the conservative crowd.  Another example is how conservatives love to joke about killing Rachel Maddow, because apparently its cool to talk about murdering talk show hosts.  

Liberals typically call for Limbaugh, Coulter, Bachmann and those types to just shut up.  Conservatives love to call for their murder.

Does it just speak to how disgusting and ugly the far right really is at the core?

EDIT: and let's not ignore the putrid racist undertones from Larry the stupid yokel.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:52:27 AM »

Actually, I'm not sure all of them are joking.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 11:01:40 AM »

because you spend too much time on awful websites?
If that Larry the Cable Guy quote were real, there would have been a major media controversy about it, and he'd be banned from making any more Prilosec commericals.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 11:09:27 AM »

Because they are bad people, simple.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 11:09:47 AM »

because you spend too much time on awful websites?
If that Larry the Cable Guy quote were real, there would have been a major media controversy about it, and he'd be banned from making any more Prilosec commericals.

This was on my facebook page.  I don't BS around on conservative webpages.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »

I'm quite sure a lot of them aren't. 
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »

What I see is an increasing pattern of right-wingers using the dregs of society (low-brow comedians, shock-jocks, degenerate rock stars - I'm looking at you, Nugent) to give themselves "street cred" among a certain set of voters.

Old-guard conservatives like wealthy industrialists and elitist snobs - the William F. Buckley types - cannot appeal to the demographic that the conservative movement now depends on.  So they have increasingly made a devil's pact with degenerates whose political motives are beyond suspect.  Ted Nugent, for example, isn't really a conservative in the Goldwater/Reagan/Buckley/Kirk sense.  He probably has no clue who William F. Buckley and Russell Kirk were, and would punch them in the face if he met them.  He's also a philandering, amoral, vulgar hedonist who is the antithesis of everything that the moralists like Buchanan, Robertson, and Falwell stand/stood for.

However, the Ted Nugents and Larry the Cable Guys are attracted to the Right simply because the values of the Left - equality, inclusiveness, feminism, and progress - are so disgusting to their little reptile brains.  Not because they are actual conservatives.

So, having enlisted these morons in their quest to appeal to blue-collar male voters (an insult to good, hard-working blue-collar men, I might point out), they have allowed this knuckle-dragging, thuggish mentality to infect the right-wing message in general.  The Right has become meaner as a consequence.  Thus polite discourse has given way to death threats and the like.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:18:41 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2014, 11:28:27 AM by cope1989 »

Conservative humor isn't as appealing to the masses. Hear me out: Conservatives seek to maintain policies that are traditional and dominant in society, while liberals seek to advance policy that helps the underdog- whether they be poor people, minorities, gay people etc.

So when conservatives make jokes about people in society that are already getting the short end of the stick, it comes across as mean spirited. Comedy works better when it's the underdog making fun of the powerful people, which lends itself better to liberals.

Have you ever heard a comedian joke about how rich or successful or powerful they are? No, it's always about how they're poor, or hopelessly single, or a minority.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 11:19:10 AM »

Indeed.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 11:22:37 AM »

I think this is certainly a more American thing than European.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »

I pointed this out earlier, that when a left-leaning pundit slams a right-wing politician (i.e. Martin Bashir's comments about Sarah Palin's ignorance on the history of slavery), that guy gets fired. But when a right-wing talker (Rush Limbaugh calling Sandra Fluke a slut and a whore nonstop for an hour), they never so much as discipline him and he gives a half-assed apology and it's almost forgotten later.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »

And tragically, a lot of them are armed.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 11:46:31 AM »

Conservatism in Europe is a wholly different beast than it is in America, of course.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 12:11:40 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2014, 12:18:00 PM by Beef »

A lot of this goes back to Rush Limbaugh, who in the late-80s and early-90s used inflammatory rhetoric to appeal to a certain segment of disaffected, insecure white male voters.  It was highly successful in converting would-be Democrats to the Republican cause.  As the 90s and 2000s went on, especially with the advent of Fox News, more media pundits followed in Limbaugh's mold, and one after the next kept taking things a step further.

I don't know if the media landscape or political divisions would allow this to happen anywhere in Europe.  A Rush Limbaugh type is not going to turn a Social Democrat/Labour into a Conservative.  Maybe towards some sort of hard-right nationalist xenophobic party like the BNP, but God help us all if a party like that gains any kind of stake in government anywhere.
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 03:24:45 PM »

What I see is an increasing pattern of right-wingers using the dregs of society (low-brow comedians, shock-jocks, degenerate rock stars - I'm looking at you, Nugent) to give themselves "street cred" among a certain set of voters.

Old-guard conservatives like wealthy industrialists and elitist snobs - the William F. Buckley types - cannot appeal to the demographic that the conservative movement now depends on.  So they have increasingly made a devil's pact with degenerates whose political motives are beyond suspect.  Ted Nugent, for example, isn't really a conservative in the Goldwater/Reagan/Buckley/Kirk sense.  He probably has no clue who William F. Buckley and Russell Kirk were, and would punch them in the face if he met them.  He's also a philandering, amoral, vulgar hedonist who is the antithesis of everything that the moralists like Buchanan, Robertson, and Falwell stand/stood for.

However, the Ted Nugents and Larry the Cable Guys are attracted to the Right simply because the values of the Left - equality, inclusiveness, feminism, and progress - are so disgusting to their little reptile brains.  Not because they are actual conservatives.

So, having enlisted these morons in their quest to appeal to blue-collar male voters (an insult to good, hard-working blue-collar men, I might point out), they have allowed this knuckle-dragging, thuggish mentality to infect the right-wing message in general.  The Right has become meaner as a consequence.  Thus polite discourse has given way to death threats and the like.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 03:28:56 PM »

Knuckle-dragging thuggishness has always been a vital component of right-wing ideology. It's kind of stupid to praise the "old Republicans" who were all just a bunch of hob-nobbing aristocratic filth who were always ready and willing to beat the ever loving s**t out of workers on strike, engage in ethnic cleansing to clear the West for white settlement, and invade small countries full of brown people to make sure that nobody got any funny ideas about defaulting on their debt repayments.
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 03:31:55 PM »

Knuckle-dragging thuggishness has always been a vital component of right-wing ideology. It's kind of stupid to praise the "old Republicans" who were all just a bunch of hob-nobbing aristocratic filth who were always ready and willing to beat the ever loving s**t out of workers on strike, engage in ethnic cleansing to clear the West for white settlement, and invade small countries full of brown people to make sure that nobody got any funny ideas about defaulting on their debt repayments.

I don't think his intent was to praise them but rather to point out that old-style traditionalists were more like the evil geniuses you see in bad sci-fi movies than today's inbred nutcases.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 04:24:22 PM »

Larry the Cable Guy clearly never said this because the only sites alleging that he did are partisan blogs and forums.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 04:36:35 PM »

I think a better question is why is Hockeydude such a tedious hack?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 05:53:54 PM »

Agreed. In Europe, I would admittedly say it is usually the other side who is using this type of language.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 06:00:35 PM »

Of course, never, ever, on this forum has any left-winger ever joked about conservatives dying. And most certainly have no leftists ever been serious about it either.

Old-guard conservatives like wealthy industrialists and elitist snobs - the William F. Buckley types - cannot appeal to the demographic that the conservative movement now depends on.  So they have increasingly made a devil's pact with degenerates whose political motives are beyond suspect.  Ted Nugent, for example, isn't really a conservative in the Goldwater/Reagan/Buckley/Kirk sense.  He probably has no clue who William F. Buckley and Russell Kirk were, and would punch them in the face if he met them.  He's also a philandering, amoral, vulgar hedonist who is the antithesis of everything that the moralists like Buchanan, Robertson, and Falwell stand/stood for.

However, the Ted Nugents and Larry the Cable Guys are attracted to the Right simply because the values of the Left - equality, inclusiveness, feminism, and progress - are so disgusting to their little reptile brains.  Not because they are actual conservatives.

So, having enlisted these morons in their quest to appeal to blue-collar male voters (an insult to good, hard-working blue-collar men, I might point out), they have allowed this knuckle-dragging, thuggish mentality to infect the right-wing message in general.  The Right has become meaner as a consequence.  Thus polite discourse has given way to death threats and the like.

Meh, we just respond to knuckle dragging thuggishness with far more effective thuggishness.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 06:36:38 PM »

I think a better question is why is Hockeydude such a tedious hack?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 06:38:09 PM »

Whenever I hear a conservative joke about murdering liberals, it makes me want to kill them.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 06:49:48 PM »

I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 06:51:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3