Topinka moves towards the IL Governor's race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:11:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Topinka moves towards the IL Governor's race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Topinka moves towards the IL Governor's race  (Read 1908 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2005, 10:49:45 PM »

Not really a surpise, but two months ago she was far more noncommittal in her response to questions about the Governor's race.

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/illinoisstory.asp?id=22681

You must be logged in to read this quote.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 11:33:05 PM »

Not really a surpise, but two months ago she was far more noncommittal in her response to questions about the Governor's race.

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/illinoisstory.asp?id=22681

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Those are not good numbers for an incumbent
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 12:18:59 AM »

well maybe she'll get caught in some sort of scandal, and the IL GOP will force her out of the race before settling on a replacement. Then when they can't find anyone they'll import some lunatic in from out of state who'll lose in a landslide much worse than the original candidate would've even if with the scandal and the lack of a campaign afterwords would've got, and negative coat tails possibly costing them a House seat.

The stupidity of the IL GOP has no bounds. The best thing Blagojevich has going for him.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 12:20:06 AM »

This was done by a GOP pollster. I'd rather see a non-partisan poll.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 12:36:24 AM »

I know this is a GOP poll, but it's sad that in a Democratic leaning state like Illinois, where the Republicans have had a ton of problems lately, Blageovich is only leading by 3 points.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 01:38:50 PM »

I know this is a GOP poll, but it's sad that in a Democratic leaning state like Illinois, where the Republicans have had a ton of problems lately, Blageovich is only leading by 3 points.

This could be a ridiculous upset, especially from a guy whose record is as positive as Blagojevich's is!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 06:39:45 PM »

The Governor here has had his share of political problems. His absentee fighting with the legislature is starting to hurt more than help. His high-profile feuding with his family, and exposure of the very fund-raising practices he decries is also taking a small toll. Then there's his budget, which took a big swipe at the state employees union pensions who were a backbone of support.

The race still favors Blagoyevich against an unknown opponent, but he continues to try to pose in the media. At the same time real improvement in state government fails to happen and the public is starting to see through the posturing.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 08:02:31 PM »

Well, the point is he is probably leading by more. This could very well be a push poll.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 12:26:53 AM »

Shes whats wrong with the Republican party in Illinois, I think they would have a better chance if they went with someone else.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 05:58:09 PM »

Shes whats wrong with the Republican party in Illinois, I think they would have a better chance if they went with someone else.

Will there's a pretty large field scouting out their options at this point. I don't think any of them can be called a clear front-runner yet. Strength downstate will probably be an important factor for any candidate to be successful in both the primary and general election.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 05:26:48 PM »

I'm starting to doubt Rod's ability to win the primary. Which is going to be sad for the Democratice party if he loses.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 10:57:25 PM »

I'm starting to doubt Rod's ability to win the primary. Which is going to be sad for the Democratice party if he loses.
I don't think the Governor will face a primary unless he does something way out of line to other factions in Chicago. I just spent three days in Springfield and I heard no thoughts about a challenge from Democrats.

OTOH, the friction among the Chicago Democrats in Springfield leaves Republicans with some glimmer of hope. A race that was 95% for the incumbent six months ago, was characterized as 70-30 in the Gov's favor. That's still big odds to overcome.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 03:01:47 PM »

I heard from a reputable source that Comptroller Dan Hynes was thinking of a primary challenge to Rod.  This was some months ago, though.  Any ideas on whether this could happen?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 11:09:09 PM »

I heard from a reputable source that Comptroller Dan Hynes was thinking of a primary challenge to Rod.  This was some months ago, though.  Any ideas on whether this could happen?

I doubt it. Barring something now unforeseen, Blagojevich has too much money to risk challenging, especially in the primary. Of course the unforeseen can happen.

For those following the details, at a funeral in his home area this week, Both the Governor and his father-in-law Ald. Mell sent beautiful flower arrangements. They were placed about as far apart from each other as possible.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 07:12:08 PM »

Most democrats will support anyone but Rod...

Also I believe Dan said that Rod wasn't good at governing, sounds like an interest in running to me.

Also Oberwies has announced his candidacy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies