Would eastern and western Ukraine be better off going their separate ways? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:52:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Would eastern and western Ukraine be better off going their separate ways? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would eastern and western Ukraine be better off going their separate ways?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Would eastern and western Ukraine be better off going their separate ways?  (Read 20367 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 23, 2014, 06:48:04 PM »

They need real left-right politics rather than regional infighting. I'm sure it will eventually happen after the EU sponsored shock therapy to come.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 07:17:51 PM »

Russia will lease the base indefinitely. Every Ukrainian government, regardless of orientation, will allow them to do it. Why wouldn't they? They're all White Christians. Half of Ukraine speaks the same language. There is no reason for these countries to be locked in enmity. Sure, they might shake their fists at each other once in a while but anyone with the political savvy to make it to the top of Ukrainian politics knows they have to live and let live.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:17:11 AM »

I am afraid, you might be underestimating how serious it is. The troops seem to be on the move. Trusting Putin's words is not something I would ever do.

Lukin's role is a case in point. Personally, he is a decent man, but he is not somebody at all privy to any secrets or representative of anyone. He is not close to Putin or to anybody else with real power. Sending him was a statement of no commitment to anything: Putin's press secretary explicitly said that he was going in merely his own capacity. Lukin knew that: that is why he refused signing anything - he could not, really, as he was no envoy of anyone. I would easily believe, Lukin was trying to be reasonable and helpful. But the fact that it was him who was sent is very troubling, actually. It might mean that a decision not to talk but to act unilaterally has been taken already.

I am afraid, we may be on the eve of a Munich. Or worse.

lol
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 08:29:06 PM »

Honestly, I think anyone who voted for the Party of Regions would vote to become part of Russia. The Overton window has changed.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 08:40:29 PM »

Russian speaking Party of Regions voters then.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies