Election Tracker - NE Special
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:32:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Election Tracker - NE Special
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: Election Tracker - NE Special  (Read 17996 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 24, 2014, 01:15:11 AM »

Lol, you cannot "encourage" yourself to do something. You do it or you don't. If "encouraging oneself" is outlawed, then "thinking"  or "reaching a conclusion" is effectively outlawed as well. And that's completely ridiculous. I agree that this is an unfortunate way to end an election, but come on. A person can do to their vote whatever they please.

Legally, I might agree with you if not for the definition of "encouragement" in the second clause that I quoted.

If that was the intent the legislature had, why didn't it just expressly outlaw the vote invalidation?  Why word it so awkwardly?  It's applying a technical reading of the statute that, when read with common sense, quite clearly does not make sense.

Plenty of Atlasian laws are worded awkwardly.

For taking such a literal over common sense interpretation now, you seemed uncomfortable with that before:

It seems you all agree with me that vote editing is not meant to be a campaign tactic.

I'm actually not entirely sure that I agree. Invalidations aside, I think that this creates a freedom of speech issue. How do we define "campaigning"? If someone contacts a voter with no intent of convincing him or her to change his vote, but he or she does anyway, does that constitute campaigning? I do understand that we're working around the fact that we can't seal ballots away until the end of the election, and I view this sort of campaigning as a dirty tactic, but crafting a formal ban might not be practicable.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You know more about whatever Seatown has done than any of us; I won't presume his guilt or innocence until he has faced trial.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not sure that I'd be against allowing people to change their votes in real life (especially if the voting period were longer than one day), if it were feasible.

We have come to a general consensus on how the law applies to campaigning in the voting booth after several court cases, yes. But precedent, case law, and definitions don't do enough to clarify how a similar law would apply to messages exchanged in private.

You are correct that this is a secondary concern for me. Clarifying the details of this definition would improve the law, but it would not win my support. My primary concern with the second section of this law is that it would violate Atlasians' right to freedom of speech. Blackmail and threats aside, we do not have the authority to regulate how citizens discuss political matters in private.

My primary concern with the first section of this law is that it would effectively disenfranchise at least a few voters in most elections, either because they were ignorant of the new law or because they were unable to correct an error on their ballot within the reduced window of time in which edits are allowed. In addition to that, I've seen no evidence our current voting laws have been exploited in more than a few isolated and insignificant cases.

I like it a lot more than your original proposal, but I'm not willing to support it for reasons that I mentioned earlier.

Also, even if other Senators support your suggested text, there's a technical issue that should be dealt with: It would criminalize contacting a voter to let him or her know of certain common kinds of errors, e.g. duplicate preferences.

You're using a deliberately awkward interpretation of the law here to fit the end result that you are advocating.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #201 on: February 24, 2014, 01:23:11 AM »

Huh? None of what you've quoted contradicts the argument that I'm making here. In fact, I think you'll find that a close reading of each case lends weight to the point that I'm making in the other.

I never said it contradicted it...
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #202 on: February 24, 2014, 05:32:17 AM »

Well, guys, I want to apologise because it was an awful idea editing my vote. I feel sorry because I might have provoked a little drama and that wasn't my intention. I think it's better if I de-register myself as an Atlasian citizen for a couple of months, as a sort of self-punishment Wink

Velasco, I encourage you to lawyer up.
As a fellow Spaniard, I will pledge $10,000,000 of my own money to funding Velasco's legal council, should it prove necessary.

Thanks for the offer, anyway Wink

The road to hell is paved with good intentions!

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #203 on: February 24, 2014, 07:14:45 AM »

Well that was a pretty sh**tty thing of Velasco to do to TNF.  For the sake of preserving electoral legitimacy, I'd urge him to resign if this leads to him "winning" and appoint TNF to fill the vaceny.  We all know TNF is the rightful winner (even if some would rather try to BS him out of office) and I doubt Lumine wants to go down as Atlasia's George W. Bush.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #204 on: February 24, 2014, 07:54:15 AM »

All this screwing around in the voting booth is shameful. Homelycooking has enough on his hands than to have to deal with self inflicted wounds like this.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #205 on: February 24, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »

The way Velacso is being treated here for trying to neutralize the invalidation of Julio's vote really does not reflect well on this place.  Since deregistration is about to be made illegal, I guess I'll have to make up my mind soon.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #206 on: February 24, 2014, 10:23:30 AM »

The way Velacso is being treated here for trying to neutralize the invalidation of Julio's vote really does not reflect well on this place.  Since deregistration is about to be made illegal, I guess I'll have to make up my mind soon.
Julio's vote was definitely made to be invalid, Julio is someone who is no longer active and just wanted to be vengeful towards TNF because TNF didn't actually support Lundergan Grimes. He exactly knew that his vote would be declared invalid, and I'm a bit surprised to see Homelycooking going to valid his vote. I will probably file a lawsuit if he did that, because this vote can't be considered as valid.

What Velasco has done is just well intentionned but stupid, and if a Federalist have done that shua, you wouldn't probably say that.
So some Laborites being pissed off are completely understandable.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #207 on: February 24, 2014, 10:37:56 AM »

Glad we'll always have someone as "above it all" as yourself to always weigh in on these things, shua. Roll Eyes
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #208 on: February 24, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »

I don't see how anyone can interpret this election as anything other than a TNF victory.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »

We're talking about an election. In an election, you vote for the candidates you want to represent you. That's it. This is not an opportunity for individuals to play the silly game. You don't go fishing through the ballot box for your vote after you've cast it because you've had a change of heart. Frivolous write-ins, foreign-language ballots, tactical editing - it's all so incredibly stupid and a massive waste of time.

If I can't enforce the laws that have to do campaigning/commentary in the voting booth strictly and completely, I'm not going to enforce them at all. When I threaten to crack down on all this nonsense, the ballots get even sillier and I'm faced with the prospect of invalidating dozens of would-be cleverdicks' ballots. I'm not interested in fighting endless lawsuits and referendum campaigns over this.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »

Velasco himself immediate it was just about the worst thing he could have done.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2014, 11:09:08 AM »

Julio's vote was definitely made to be invalid, Julio is someone who is no longer active and just wanted to be vengeful towards TNF because TNF didn't actually support Lundergan Grimes. He exactly knew that his vote would be declared invalid, and I'm a bit surprised to see Homelycooking going to valid his vote. I will probably file a lawsuit if he did that, because this vote can't be considered as valid.

What Velasco has done is just well intentionned but stupid, and if a Federalist have done that shua, you wouldn't probably say that.

At least you recognize that what Velasco did was well-intentioned.  I never claimed it was a good idea.

The fact that some truly vile shenanigans have been attempted by the right recently doesn't make me feel any better about the atmosphere here, obviously
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2014, 11:14:06 AM »

At least you recognize that what Velasco did was well-intentioned.  I never claimed it was a good idea.

The fact that some truly vile shenanigans have been attempted by the right recently doesn't make me feel any better about the atmosphere here, obviously
Of course it was well-intentioned. But the road to hell is paved with good intentions! But I guess you can understand that some Laborites are pissed off by his behaviour.
What do you mean by " some truly vile shenanigans have been attempted by the right"?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2014, 11:15:41 AM »

Nix's resignation, primary intimidation, among other things.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »

We're talking about an election. In an election, you vote for the candidates you want to represent you. That's it. This is not an opportunity for individuals to play the silly game. You don't go fishing through the ballot box for your vote after you've cast it because you've had a change of heart. Frivolous write-ins, foreign-language ballots, tactical editing - it's all so incredibly stupid and a massive waste of time.

At the risk of piling on, I couldn't agree more. I don't even like this business of 20 minutes to edit a vote post or change a vote or any of it. When you vote, you vote. This game is small enough, and partisan enough, that unless there are shenanigans going on, there is not a single good reason why a person can't cast a vote and be done with it. "Buyer's remorse" or whatever excuse is being attempted does not wash in Atlasia.

LOL.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2014, 11:34:04 AM »

Julio Madrid, I suggest you start lawyering up.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »

Does anyone actually listen to Homely besides me?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2014, 03:33:33 PM »

1st Preference Map:

Duke/Matt=Blue, TNF/Gass=Red, Spiral/Dallas=Yellow

Ties=Green, No Vote=Gray
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2014, 03:42:47 PM »

1st Preference Map:

Ties=Green, No Vote=Gray

I'm waiting for someone to bother making graphs and region by region/party by party breakdowns. Tongue
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2014, 08:12:16 PM »

1st Preference Map:

Ties=Green, No Vote=Gray

I'm waiting for someone to bother making graphs and region by region/party by party breakdowns. Tongue
Get to it, Griffin!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #220 on: February 28, 2014, 05:36:22 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2014, 07:32:39 AM by homosexual supremacist »

First Round

10 Lumine (Dereich, PiT, DC Al Fine, Jack Enderman, Scott, indyTX, butafly, Yeahsayyeah, SWE, Frodo)
8 Adam Griffin (Talleyrand, Mr. X, TNF, Snowguy, badgate, windjammer, Snowstalker, TheCranberry)
4 Poirot (Deus, Spiral, shua, homely)
1 *Franzl (Franzl)

Final Round

13 Lumine (Deus, Spiral, shua, Dereich, PiT, DC Al Fine, Jack Enderman, Scott, indyTX, butafly, Yeahsayyeah, SWE, Frodo)
10 Adam Griffin (Franzl, Talleyrand, Mr. X, TNF, Snowguy, badgate, windjammer, Snowstalker, TheCranberry, homely)

Hypotheticals

15 Lumine (Dereich, PiT, DC Al Fine, Jack Enderman, Talleyrand, Mr. X, badgate, windjammer, Scott, indyTX, butafly, Yeahsayyeah, SWE, TheCranberry, Frodo)
4 exhausted (Franzl, TNF, Snowguy, Snowstalker)

11 Adam Griffin (Franzl, Talleyrand, Mr. X, TNF, Snowguy, badgate, windjammer, Snowstalker, Scott, Yeahsayyeah, TheCranberry)
11 Poirot (Deus, Spiral, shua, Dereich, PiT, DC Al Fine, Jack Enderman, indyTX, SWE, homely, Frodo)
1 exhausted (butafly)

last vote counted: SWE
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #221 on: February 28, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2014, 09:59:08 AM by butafly »

First Round

16 Lumine (Dereich, PiT, DC Al Fine, Jack Enderman, Hagrid, Kreitzer, Cris, Scott, indyTX, butafly, Yeahsayyeah, SWE, Lumine, GAworth, Frodo, sjoyce)
13 Adam Griffin (Talleyrand, Mr. X, TNF, Snowguy, badgate, windjammer, Snowstalker, bore, hawkeye59, adam obawesomebiberg, Nix, rejectamenta, TheCranberry)
1 *Franzl (Franzl)

Final Round

19 Lumine (Deus, Spiral, shua, Dereich, PiT, DC Al Fine, Jack Enderman, Hagrid, Kreitzer, Cris, Scott, indyTX, butafly, Yeahsayyeah, SWE, Lumine, GAworth, Frodo, sjoyce)
15 Adam Griffin (Franzl, Talleyrand, Mr. X, TNF, Snowguy, badgate, windjammer, Snowstalker, bore, hawkeye59, adam obawesomebiberg, Nix, rejectamenta, TheCranberry, homely)

Hypotheticals

24 Lumine (Dereich, PiT, DC Al Fine, Jack Enderman, Hagrid, Kreitzer, Cris, Talleyrand, Mr. X, badgate, windjammer, hawkeye59, adam obawesomebiberg, Nix, Scott, indyTX, butafly, Yeahsayyeah, SWE, Lumine, GAworth, TheCranberry, Frodo, sjoyce)
5 Poirot (Deus, Spiral, shua, bore, homely)
5 exhausted (Franzl, TNF, Snowguy, Snowstalker, rejectamenta)

18 Adam Griffin (Franzl, Talleyrand, Mr. X, TNF, Snowguy, badgate, windjammer, Snowstalker, bore, hawkeye59, adam obawesomebiberg, Nix, rejectamenta, Scott, Yeahsayyeah, GAworth, TheCranberry, sjoyce)
15 Poirot (Deus, Spiral, shua, Dereich, PiT, DC Al Fine, Jack Enderman, Hagrid, Kreitzer, Cris, indyTX, SWE, Lumine, homely, Frodo)
1 exhausted (butafly)

last vote counted: CRIS
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #222 on: February 28, 2014, 11:58:34 AM »

First Round

20 Lumine (Dereich, PiT, DC Al Fine, Jack Enderman, Hagrid, Kreitzer, Cris, Mordecai, Scott, indyTX, butafly, Yeahsayyeah, SWE, Lumine, GAworth, Superique, MATTROSE94, Flo, Frodo, sjoyce)
15 Adam Griffin (Talleyrand, Mr. X, TNF, Snowguy, badgate, windjammer, Snowstalker, bore, hawkeye59, adam obawesomebiberg, Nix, Antonio, Marokai, rejectamenta, TheCranberry)
7 Poirot (Kalwejt, Deus, Spiral, shua, homely, Supersonic, ZuWo)
1 *Franzl (Franzl)

Final Round

26 Lumine (Kalwejt, Deus, Spiral, shua, Dereich, PiT, DC Al Fine, Jack Enderman, Hagrid, Kreitzer, Cris, Mordecai, Scott, indyTX, butafly, Yeahsayyeah, SWE, Lumine, GAworth, Superique, MATTROSE94, Flo, Frodo, sjoyce, Supersonic, ZuWo)
17 Adam Griffin (Franzl, Talleyrand, Mr. X, TNF, Snowguy, badgate, windjammer, Snowstalker, bore, hawkeye59, adam obawesomebiberg, Nix, Antonio, Marokai, rejectamenta, TheCranberry, homely)

Hypotheticals

30 Lumine (Dereich, PiT, DC Al Fine, Jack Enderman, Hagrid, Kreitzer, Cris, Mordecai, Talleyrand, Mr. X, badgate, windjammer, hawkeye59, adam obawesomebiberg, Nix, Antonio, Marokai, Scott, indyTX, butafly, Yeahsayyeah, SWE, Lumine, GAworth, Superique, MATTROSE94, Flo, TheCranberry, Frodo, sjoyce)
8 Poirot (Kalwejt, Deus, Spiral, shua, bore, homely, Supersonic, ZuWo)
5 exhausted (Franzl, TNF, Snowguy, Snowstalker, rejectamenta)

22 Adam Griffin (Franzl, Talleyrand, Mr. X, TNF, Snowguy, badgate, windjammer, Snowstalker, bore, hawkeye59, adam obawesomebiberg, Nix, Antonio, Marokai, rejectamenta, Scott, Yeahsayyeah, GAworth, MATTROSE94, TheCranberry, Flo, sjoyce)
20 Poirot (Kalwejt, Deus, Spiral, shua, Dereich, PiT, DC Al Fine, Jack Enderman, Hagrid, Kreitzer, Cris, Mordecai, indyTX, SWE, Lumine, Superique, homely, Supersonic, ZuWo, Frodo)
1 exhausted (butafly)

last vote counted: MAROKAI
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »

An update, waiting for the new update of Butafly...
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #224 on: February 28, 2014, 01:06:17 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2014, 01:08:51 PM by Cris »

An update, waiting for the new update of Butafly

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length