Nebraska Senatorial Election, 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 03:40:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Nebraska Senatorial Election, 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who would you have voted for?
Deb Fischer (R)

Bob Kerrey (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Nebraska Senatorial Election, 2012  (Read 1055 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 12:09:39 PM »

The one who didn't deliberately kill innocent women and children and then try to pretend he was a war hero for doing so.  I challenge the folks who said they'd support Kerrey to explain why they think we should be electing war criminals to the Senate.

What if the war criminal is less likely to vote to start another war?

I don't see how that's relevant. 

I don't see how it could not be, if we are talking about being against the killing of innocent people.

There is a big difference between going to war and deliberately butchering innocent people (sometimes at least).

Yes, but there's also a difference between judging the intentions of an act that happened 45 years ago and determining how to avoid acts of violence on people in the present and future.

Fair enough, but don't you think some things like being war crimes can be a legitimate reason to oppose electing someone to Congress even if they occurred a long time ago?  I mean it's not like he was a member of a revolting group when he was young.  This wasn't even accidental manslaughter.  Kerrey and his team murdered executed innocent people in cold blood and dragged children to their deaths.  I think this is especially significant given that for much of Kerrey's career (until the details of the incident received notable press coverage), he made his reputation as a "war hero" a major selling point when running for office.  Plus, you can still abstain rather than voting for Kerrey if it is just that you don't want to vote for Fischer.

Yes, I certainly understand not voting for someone based on this. Even though there are cases where I would vote for someone with a war criminal past, I wouldn't do so without significant hesitation.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 02:17:12 PM »

Fischer (not a hack).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 03:44:57 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2014, 03:48:40 PM by Senator Malcolm X »

I wonder how many red avatars would have jumped on the war criminal bandwagon if Al hadn't pointed it out back in 2012. Zero?

I can only speak for myself, but I already opposed him running for office because of his war crimes before 2012 when his name was being tossed around as a possible Democratic candidate for New York City Mayor back in 2005.  Beyond which, even if some other people wouldn't have known if Al hadn't pointed it out, what's your point?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies