CPAC straw poll: Paul 31% Cruz 11% Carson 9% Christie 8% Walker 7% Santorum 7%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:33:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  CPAC straw poll: Paul 31% Cruz 11% Carson 9% Christie 8% Walker 7% Santorum 7%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: CPAC straw poll: Paul 31% Cruz 11% Carson 9% Christie 8% Walker 7% Santorum 7%  (Read 7289 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2014, 04:44:28 PM »

I thought Cruz's "ask President Dole and President Romney" attack was distasteful. Not so much for John McCain, but still, the point stands.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2014, 05:41:35 PM »

I have heard bits and pieces from the convention on GOP Pravda and most are awful.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2014, 07:08:14 PM »

Btw, for those who aren't watching live, you can catch all the speeches on the ACU's Youtube channel.  E.g., Christie's speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFJ_7GqpggI
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2014, 09:14:15 PM »

Catanese's Day 2 speech grades:

Paul A
Santorum B+
Huckabee C
Perry A

(I watched Perry's speech, and he seemed to be a bit drunk--despite it being 9 in the morning--but maybe that's just me.)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »

I thought Cruz's "ask President Dole and President Romney" attack was distasteful. Not so much for John McCain, but still, the point stands.

This made me think of something I've always wondered - why is the GOP so disdainful of its history to an extent that Democrats and liberals never approach?

It amazes me how these people can nominate someone one year and then express open, unadulterated contempt for them just a few years later.

Compare the way the Right and the GOP treat George H. W. Bush - a one-term president who was far-removed from hardcore conservatism - to the way the Democrats and liberals treat Jimmy Carter - also a one-term president who was far-removed from hardcore liberalism.

Democrats don't openly mock failed candidates like Gore and Kerry (or even low-hanging fruit like Dukakis) while the Republicans seem to want to pretend every president and presidential candidate other than Ronald Reagan never existed.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2014, 09:35:41 PM »

So why was Huckabee's speech apparently so bad?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »

(I watched Perry's speech, and he seemed to be a bit drunk--despite it being 9 in the morning--but maybe that's just me.)

I'm 100% sure that he is overly medicated. He had some type of severe back injury IIRC which has rendered him in constant pain.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »

This made me think of something I've always wondered - why is the GOP so disdainful of its history to an extent that Democrats and liberals never approach?

It amazes me how these people can nominate someone one year and then express open, unadulterated contempt for them just a few years later.

Compare the way the Right and the GOP treat George H. W. Bush - a one-term president who was far-removed from hardcore conservatism - to the way the Democrats and liberals treat Jimmy Carter - also a one-term president who was far-removed from hardcore liberalism.

Democrats don't openly mock failed candidates like Gore and Kerry (or even low-hanging fruit like Dukakis) while the Republicans seem to want to pretend every president and presidential candidate other than Ronald Reagan never existed.

Because anybody who loses isn't a real conservative. They talked about Dubya as if he was the second coming of Reagan all throughout his presidency, until his popularity tanked, then suddenly he was a big spending liberal RINO.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »

Cruz's mere existence is distasteful in my opion.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2014, 12:01:23 AM »

CPAC attendees give their thoughts on 2016:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/03/07/video-cpac-attendees-discuss-2016-presidential-race/
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2014, 12:13:58 AM »

In Catanese's grading, he complained that Huckabee basically just recited a laundry list of GOP talking points, without actually drilling down into any of them at all.  But I don't know, I think Cruz basically did the same thing (but he threw in more red meat, so got the crowd more on his side).  I still think Huckabee is charismatic enough that even when he's just giving a laundry list, he comes off OK.

In watching these speeches, I guess there are two ways to evaluate them.  You could judge it from the perspective of who's playing best to the crowd at CPAC, and thus who might get a couple of extra points in the straw poll, based on their performance.

But that's not the interesting way to look at it.  More interesting to view it as a preview of the candidate's message for the primary race, once the race officially begins.  What does their performance tell you about how good of a politician they are, and how well they might be able to do in the race for the nomination.

On that score, of the speeches I've seen, I still think Christie has the most political talent, and is best able to tune his message properly, to curry favor with GOP voters in a way that doesn't box him in too much ideologically, to destroy his electability.  Of course, the big question for him is whether corruption issues will sink him or not.

But I also haven't watched Rubio's speech yet, and I guess he talked about foreign policy in a way that set up an intra-party clash between him and Paul.  So I'll take a look at that at some point as well.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2014, 05:04:18 AM »

I'll be shocked if Rand Paul doesn't win the Straw Poll.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »

They changed the program a little, so now the straw poll results won't be announced until 5:40pm (assuming they run on time).  There's a good chance I'll still be sleeping then, but obviously post the results here in this thread if it happens when I'm not around.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2014, 05:44:13 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2014, 05:59:08 PM by Mr. Morden »

Paul wins:

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=aiIvQuvb

Paul 31%
Cruz 11%
Carson 9%
Christie 8%
Walker 7%
Santorum 7%
Rubio 6%
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2014, 05:54:32 PM »

McDonnell is no surprise; shocked that they put Scott and not Bolton on there.

That's because nobody cares about Bolton besides politicos, and Scott is actually a Senator.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »

CPAC opinion polls show Republicans are more libertarian on the role of government, anti-intervention, and a plurality support legalizing marijuana for recreational and medical use.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2014, 05:59:54 PM »

straw poll: Paul 31% Cruz 11% Carson 9% Christie 8% Walker 7% Santorum 7% Rubio 6% Ryan, Perry 3% Jindal, Rice, Huckabee, Palin 2%
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »

CPAC opinion polls show Republicans are more libertarian on the role of government, anti-intervention, and a plurality support legalizing marijuana for recreational and medical use.

A plurality support marijuana legalization for recreational; a majority supported it for medical.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2014, 06:11:06 PM »

I guess it shows that Paul is the GOP front-runner, unless the Establishment unleashes and nominates a Jeb Bush or a Tim Pawlenty or a Marco Rubio, who has gone from Tea Party conservative to a establishment candidate in a year.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2014, 06:12:35 PM »

I guess it shows that Paul is the GOP front-runner, unless the Establishment unleashes and nominates a Jeb Bush or a Tim Pawlenty or a Marco Rubio, who has gone from Tea Party conservative to a establishment candidate in a year.

Can we stop pretending he's relevant? Please?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2014, 06:13:43 PM »

Winning the CPAC poll doesn't make you the frontrunner. Ron Paul won it in 2010 in a landslide
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »

Word.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2014, 06:21:46 PM »

That said, I don't think Rand Paul winning CPAC means that much, but his polling outside of CPAC also shows him near the top in most polls, so he's certainly a relevant player. The question is, how relevant will he be when the field narrows. I can't imagine him uniting that much of a collation.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2014, 06:22:12 PM »

If only it were 2011...
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2014, 06:29:43 PM »

The big loser here is Rubio who was second last time. He dropped 17 points, with that vote seemingly going to Paul, Carson and Cruz.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies