Do you agree with Minneapolis' recently passed law?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:12:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you agree with Minneapolis' recently passed law?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you agree with Minneapolis' recently passed law?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Do you agree with Minneapolis' recently passed law?  (Read 3686 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2005, 11:27:39 PM »

see Jake's comment. I don't know if he was sarcastic but that's my view Smiley

No, I was serious.  I'd be kinda angry if I had to smell smoke while getting a table dance.

well then we do agree on something, although I'd be suprised if you would want a lap dance. What if it was a Lebanese stripper? Smiley

I wouldn't, hypothetically though

Not even a Lebanese stripper? Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2005, 11:33:05 PM »

see Jake's comment. I don't know if he was sarcastic but that's my view Smiley

No, I was serious.  I'd be kinda angry if I had to smell smoke while getting a table dance.

well then we do agree on something, although I'd be suprised if you would want a lap dance. What if it was a Lebanese stripper? Smiley

I wouldn't, hypothetically though

Not even a Lebanese stripper? Smiley

Not interested really
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2005, 11:35:29 PM »

Of course, I'm sure Dibble is ready to fire back with "restauraunts and bars aren't public places", so I'll let him handle the libertarian argument. He's better at advocating it than I am. Smiley

Which is true, they aren't, though I think of a restauraunt as more public than a bar, since the main focus is the food, rather than alcohol. It makes it more of a family environment; although as Dibble pointed out, technically kids can be in bars, the main focus of a bar is on a product that it's illegal for kids to buy or consume, so it's clearly not a kid-friendly environment. The Supreme Court also has ruled before that restauraunts and hotels are in a different category for things such as civil rights laws, since they deal with interstate commerce.

Smoking definitely is dangerous to adults just as much as kids, but at least adults do have choices about whether they'll subject themselves to it or not; kids obviously can't choose, and shouldn't have to suffer because their parents force them to be around smoke.

I guess maybe my argument isn't clear from a philosophical point of view, but I clearly see a restauraunt as more of a public place than a bar. I guess the primary focus being on alcohol (non-essential for survival, though I suppose some could disagree on that point Smiley) rather than food (essential for survival) changes the atmosphere in my view.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2005, 11:42:04 PM »

I personally think that smoking is disgusting, but I disagree with the ban. Just have smoking and non-smoking sections.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2005, 11:54:08 PM »

I disagree with the ban.  Puffing on pieces of paper filled with blackening plants may be stupid and annoying but if that's banned then you know the government is really beginning to interfere with people's lives too much.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2005, 12:07:03 AM »

Of course, I'm sure Dibble is ready to fire back with "restauraunts and bars aren't public places", so I'll let him handle the libertarian argument. He's better at advocating it than I am. Smiley

Which is true, they aren't, though I think of a restauraunt as more public than a bar, since the main focus is the food, rather than alcohol. It makes it more of a family environment; although as Dibble pointed out, technically kids can be in bars, the main focus of a bar is on a product that it's illegal for kids to buy or consume, so it's clearly not a kid-friendly environment. The Supreme Court also has ruled before that restauraunts and hotels are in a different category for things such as civil rights laws, since they deal with interstate commerce.

Smoking definitely is dangerous to adults just as much as kids, but at least adults do have choices about whether they'll subject themselves to it or not; kids obviously can't choose, and shouldn't have to suffer because their parents force them to be around smoke.

I guess maybe my argument isn't clear from a philosophical point of view, but I clearly see a restauraunt as more of a public place than a bar. I guess the primary focus being on alcohol (non-essential for survival, though I suppose some could disagree on that point Smiley) rather than food (essential for survival) changes the atmosphere in my view.

They're both public places according to the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which I support.  That law delineated which types of establishments were denied the right to claim privacy and were forced to give up total control over who they wanted to serve and under what circumstances.  Neither a restaurant or a bar owner has the right under current law to unilaterally determine the circumstances under which he/she will serve patrons.

Private clubs are exempt, and private clubs may also discriminate in their membership practices.  This I support, because you have to draw the line somewhere.  But there is definite precedent for calling both restaurants and bars public places.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2005, 01:10:34 AM »

I fully agree with Bob and Ebowed - smoking is disgusting, and I'd rather not be around it, but if businesses want to cater to smokers while ignoring the majority non-smoking population, we can take our (sizable) business elsewhere.

This should not be up to the government.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2005, 01:14:56 AM »

I agree with pretty much all of the comments made from those who aren't in favor of this law.  Restaurants and bars are privately owned, and thus, it should be left up to the owners regarding what gets done about smoking.  If he alienates a giant chunk of his prospective customers, he'll simply go out of business.

I have no idea why, but I absolutely cannot read this without hearing the prologue to Les Misérables in my mind. Smiley

Yes, I know what you actually meant.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2005, 07:56:54 AM »

NO!

Dibble is right, this is fascism.  Besides, though I don't smoke, I have always found smoking establishments much more fun than non-smoking ones, and generally I like smokers.  I used to hang out in coffeehouses back home a lot (big chess player), and they went through the smoking intolerance phase before bars - whenever a place would shift from smoking to non-smoking it would immediately experience a 75% drop in business and all the cool people would stop going.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2005, 06:01:54 PM »

Before I would have said NO, but after going to a restaurant last week and coming out smelling like smoke, I changed my mind.  Smoking is evil and unhealthy and it leads to debauchery.  Though the motivations for this law were liberal and had nothing to do with morality, it doesn't happen to coincide and that's a good thing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2005, 06:19:39 PM »

Before I would have said NO, but after going to a restaurant last week and coming out smelling like smoke, I changed my mind.  Smoking is evil and unhealthy and it leads to debauchery.  Though the motivations for this law were liberal and had nothing to do with morality, it doesn't happen to coincide and that's a good thing.

Debauchery?!  What a prude you are.

Remember, your 'morality' is just your subjective preference, and no one else cares about it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2005, 06:21:29 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2005, 09:18:30 PM by Alcon »

It's obvious that someone else cares about it, or they wouldn't have passed the damn law in the first place.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2005, 07:26:17 PM »

Yes I do agree with it. We have had the ban in my city for the last 4 years. While it did have bad effects for the bars in the city, it is for the best. It shuts the smokers out in the cold or in their homes, where they belong, and the health of others will be better at their expense.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2005, 09:16:54 PM »

What's this world coming to?  I agree with dazzleman in this poll as well!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2005, 07:54:44 PM »

*has a seizure*
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2005, 08:37:58 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
-Eddie Izzard

except Minneapolis is a very liberal city so it'd never ban those things since liberals aren't for banning them. Liberals are anti-tobacco, but not alcohol or sex.

and thirty years ago they were not anti any. In thirty years, i'm sure some of the more extreme ones will force the rest of ther left to become anti-alcohol, and then anti-sex.

But never anti drugs, oh no...
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2005, 11:54:58 PM »

What's this world coming to?  I agree with dazzleman in this poll as well!

I agree with Opebo.  The sky really is falling. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies