Should the House of Representatives Be Elected by Proportional Representation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:39:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the House of Representatives Be Elected by Proportional Representation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should it?
Yes

No

Part of it should be proportionally elected, but not the whole thing.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Should the House of Representatives Be Elected by Proportional Representation?  (Read 2101 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 11:30:58 PM »

No.  Given the number of states we have and the way population is distributed among them, there's absolutely no way of realistically going to proportional representation without either eliminating the allocation of Representatives to States and thus weakening the Federal system or going to an unwieldy House with more than triple its current size.

Shouldn't larger states (e.g. California) be allowed to try PR on the state level? I'd prefer that to our atrocious top-two system, anachronistic Supreme Court decisions be damned.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 12:31:58 AM »

No.  Given the number of states we have and the way population is distributed among them, there's absolutely no way of realistically going to proportional representation without either eliminating the allocation of Representatives to States and thus weakening the Federal system or going to an unwieldy House with more than triple its current size.

Shouldn't larger states (e.g. California) be allowed to try PR on the state level? I'd prefer that to our atrocious top-two system, anachronistic Supreme Court decisions be damned.

I'd have no objection to it.  Indeed, the only thing standing in the way is not the Supreme Court, but Congress (and the state legislatures of course).

Yes, through a MMP system.  And enlarge it substantially.  Abolish the Senate.

So basically eliminate all pretense at having a Federal system of governance?

Theoretically, why would that necessarily be the case?

If you eliminate the link with States, then the National government would have no reason to consider the State governments at all.  Indeed, I would favor replacing the 17th amendment with one that restored the election of Senators to the State governments, but in exchange would limit the powers of the Senate unless legislation impacted the State governments in some direct form.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 08:09:12 AM »

Well, I mean, the definition I've heard for federalism is that the subnational units are constitutionally protected, and thus have power over certain areas of legislation which the National Government cannot rule on. I don't see any reason why a federal system couldn't work with a MMP or PR system or something.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 08:54:28 PM »

Name one area today the Federal government doesn't try to tell the states what to do, albeit in most cases by using a carrot instead of a stick.  The situation today is loosely analogous to that of the French king and his nobles.  In theory the French kingship was fairly weak, but his ability to raise money beyond that of his nobles and shower his financial favors on those who were compliant to his whims led to the kingship becoming stronger over time until it became the very epitome of absolute monarchism.

A nationally-based MMP system won't kill federalism, but it will inevitably weaken it by making the Congress insensitive to the concerns of individual States.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 09:10:57 PM »

Partially. I think it's still important for a portion to be elected by FPTP to allow for local issues to be heard, and to give some MP's a measure of independence. That said the end result should still be proportional. I support something like the German model with a lower threshold like 1-2%.
This ^^^ Smiley
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 09:54:12 PM »

Yes! But if we would, then we would probably have to revamp our current system completely.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies