Is the following country more or less free than the US?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:03:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is the following country more or less free than the US?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: g country more or less free than the US?
more

less

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Is the following country more or less free than the US?  (Read 6482 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2005, 07:24:35 PM »

well there are arguments for everything. What I don't understand is why everyone thinks I'm so extreme for wanting to ban private schools, but the people who want to end public schools are not, even though that would much more limit opportunities than banning private schools would.

I'm not the only one who complains about suburbs either:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=17353.0

Here's a good way to put it though: Let's say that for whatever reason, I had to choose for either strip clubs or private schools to be banned, and I must choose one. Is there really any reason for me to not choose private schools?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2005, 07:26:32 PM »

Yes, Al and Nym agree with you.  Not exactly a mandate.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2005, 07:28:11 PM »

OK, I have two states:

State A bans private schools and suburbs. But strippers can be naked in any strip club, even one that serves alcohol.

State B allows private schools and suburbs, but strippers can only be topless in places that serve alcohol. They can only be naked in non-alcoholic clubs.

State B is Minnesota, which I do like despite this minor inconveninece, but is there any reason I would prefer living in Minnesota to the ficticious State A?

That really seems like a minor inconvenience BRTD.  Topless dancers, I would assume, are just as good as fully nude dancers.  Could you go into why this rule inconveniences you?

It's a VERY minor inconvenience, but as far as I'm concerned the less clothing the better, even if the only thing they have on is virtually microscopic G-strings. In fact I probably wouldn't care about this at all if there was a nude club in my city, but there isn't, and I can only go to them when I'm in Minneapolis. There's also the issue of lap dances costing twice as much there, but that's not a legal issue.

Actually probably a bigger problem is only "one-way" contact is allowed here. That means while the strippers can touch you, you can't touch them. I'd rather change that actually.

But the fact is, giving more freedom in this area would much more increase freedom for something I use than anything involving private schools and suburbs.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2005, 09:34:18 PM »

Yes, Al and Nym agree with you. Not exactly a mandate.

Um, I don't support banning suburbs, not by a long shot. If people want to live in them, they have every right to. I agree to a certain extent that suburbs often do contribute to the decay of the city, but the citizens of the city itself have a lot to do with it, too.

I want people to have choices. I strongly support developing inner city and rural areas so that people will have alternatives to suburbs. I think it's horrible from a moral perspective, not to mention bad for the economy as well, that people are often forced out of economic necessity to live in suburbs, contributing to pollution and traffic congestion even though they'd prefer to live closer to their jobs and places of recreation.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2005, 10:13:22 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2005, 10:14:55 PM by dazzleman »

I agree to a certain extent that suburbs often do contribute to the decay of the city, but the citizens of the city itself have a lot to do with it, too.

It's great to hear a liberal admit that.  That's why you're one of my favorite liberals on this forum.  You don't see the need to get nasty and deny plain reality in order to advance your political views.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2005, 10:16:42 PM »

well there are arguments for everything. What I don't understand is why everyone thinks I'm so extreme for wanting to ban private schools, but the people who want to end public schools are not, even though that would much more limit opportunities than banning private schools would.

Here's a good way to put it though: Let's say that for whatever reason, I had to choose for either strip clubs or private schools to be banned, and I must choose one. Is there really any reason for me to not choose private schools?

Who wants to end public schools?  Some want to provide alternatives to the many failing public schools, but I can't think of anybody who wants to flat-out abolish public schools.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2005, 10:17:34 PM »

I don't care about my freedom to live in a hellhole I never would live in anyway or be able to open a school I never would. I would trade the freedom to those for something very minor like being able to have strippers in a place that serves alcohol be naked rather than just topless in a heartbeat.

The hallmark of a truly free society is one in which people will defend not merely what they like, but also what they dislike because they believe in freedom for everyone.

Exactly right. I don't care about my freedom to go see strippers in the least - not something I do. However I'd defend that freedom for others. Banning smoking in restaraunts wouldn't really affect me, but I fight for the right of owners to allow it. When you only are willing to fight for the freedoms you use, many those freedoms will be easier to take away when a majority decides they don't mind losing them either.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2005, 10:27:06 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's when people will defend the freedoms of things they DON'T like and affect them negatively.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2005, 10:33:11 PM »

Who wants to end public schools?  Some want to provide alternatives to the many failing public schools, but I can't think of anybody who wants to flat-out abolish public schools.

lots of people here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=17435.0
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2005, 10:45:00 PM »

10 people on this forum - yeah, that's lots of people. Do consider that the population of this forum isn't even close to having the average views of the actual population.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2005, 10:46:06 PM »

I'm not saying it's a widespread view, I'm just wondering why it doesn't get bashed as much as my view on public schools.

no private schools - everyone can still get an education
no public schools - not everyone can get an education
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2005, 10:46:36 PM »

Who wants to end public schools?  Some want to provide alternatives to the many failing public schools, but I can't think of anybody who wants to flat-out abolish public schools.

10 people on this forum - yeah, that's lots of people. Do consider that the population of this forum isn't even close to having the average views of the actual population.

True, though it was 20% of the total respondents to the poll. I agree that doesn't prove anything in and of itself, but I think at least 10% of the public would support eliminating public schools. The idea is probably fairly popular with the more extreme Republicans and Libertarians.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2005, 10:50:22 PM »

Who wants to end public schools?  Some want to provide alternatives to the many failing public schools, but I can't think of anybody who wants to flat-out abolish public schools.

True, though it was 20% of the total respondents to the poll. I agree that doesn't prove anything in and of itself, but I think at least 10% of the public would support eliminating public schools. The idea is probably fairly popular with the more extreme Republicans and Libertarians.

Probably less than that. I would support reforming the system somehow, but still have the state(note, the state, not the feds) involved. One Libertarian who ran for govenor(forget the state) proposed that all public schools be made into charter schools, and that the parents choose which to send their kids to and elect boards of directors to determine the school curriculum. The state would still pay, $4,500 per student per year was the proposed amount. Probably would need some tweaking, but it is certainly an interesting proposal.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2005, 12:27:41 AM »

You obviously don't have much experience with inner city education.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2005, 12:38:24 AM »

We could abort the students that would end up going to one. Problem solved.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2005, 12:39:40 AM »

You're brilliant.  I want you and BRTD to be the national spokesmen for the Democratic party.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2005, 12:41:18 AM »

You're brilliant.  I want you and BRTD to be the national spokesmen for the Democratic party.

Hey at least I don't want 2 million new prospective criminals roaming the streets.

But who cares, if we could ban abortion and the Democrats could make up the popular vote defecit.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2005, 01:03:58 AM »

Hey at least I don't want 2 million new prospective criminals roaming the streets.

But who cares, if we could ban abortion and the Democrats could make up the popular vote defecit.

Oh, you've seen that study too.  How about just doing what's right?

I regret bringing up the whole legalized abortion-crime reduction theory.  You have greatly twisted and overplayed it.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2005, 01:05:20 AM »

Oh, you've seen that study too.  How about just doing what's right?

I regret bringing up the whole legalized abortion-crime reduction theory.  You have greatly twisted and overplayed it.

Its actually true.

Although nobody would be willing to admit it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2005, 07:37:34 PM »

Where is this country? I want to move there.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2005, 07:39:51 PM »

Much to your chagrin, he's a member of the Communist party, not the Democratic party.

And no wisecracks about those two being one and the same. Smiley
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2005, 07:56:14 PM »

Much to your chagrin, he's a member of the Communist party, not the Democratic party.

And no wisecracks about those two being one and the same. Smiley

I really don't take anything those two say seriously.  Whatever parties they belong to, they express their views in a way that can only repel most decent people.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2005, 08:43:26 PM »

Less, duh...
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2005, 12:03:38 AM »

I support ending public schools.  Private groups would do a better job than the gov't.  I do admit I'm in a overwhelmed minority on this issue however.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2005, 07:40:06 PM »

I'm not saying it's a widespread view, I'm just wondering why it doesn't get bashed as much as my view on public schools.

no public schools - not everyone can get an education

I disagree. If you eliminate public schools, but offer vouchers to poor students to allow them to attend private schools... pretty much everyone can get an education.

Even without vouchers... almost everyone can afford clothing, right? furniture? Haircuts? There's a lot of things people don't get much of from the government, and if taxes were much lower, more could afford it anyway!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies