World Religion Map by National Subdivision
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:05:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  World Religion Map by National Subdivision
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: World Religion Map by National Subdivision  (Read 26693 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 04:54:04 PM »

What are the Protestant divisions in the Republic of Ireland?

There are several Protestant areas in Ireland, but they all have ~200 people or fewer. I can't find much information on them. Most are close to the border with Northern Ireland. There's a handful of blue small areas in Dublin and three in Athlone.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2015, 07:17:07 PM »

Which city is the pocket of Catholicism in northern Iraq centered on?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2015, 07:58:03 PM »

Which city is the pocket of Catholicism in northern Iraq centered on?

It's the Nineveh Plains. I don't think it's centered on any one city, but it looks like the largest town in that district is Bakhdida. There's a lot of Orthodox there, too, or at least there were prior to ISIS.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2015, 08:44:50 PM »

What is the source of the data for China?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2015, 09:41:58 PM »

Remnants of old settlement.

Realisticidealist, may I ask what units you used to draw Ireland? I note that the Shannon Estuary and Loch Neagh have been 'eaten' by the surrounding places, so to speak.

Also, this is fantastic work. Well done.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2015, 12:17:59 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2015, 12:21:04 AM by realisticidealist »

Realisticidealist, may I ask what units you used to draw Ireland? I note that the Shannon Estuary and Loch Neagh have been 'eaten' by the surrounding places, so to speak.

I used Small Areas.

I compiled China based on a number of sources. I started by using ethnicity data from the most recent census to estimate the number of Muslims, Buddhists, Indigenous, and some Taoists. I then used a slightly regressed version of Asia Harvest's estimate of the Christian population, and finally estimated the remaining number of Taoists/Chinese Folk Religionists based on UMich's China Religion Explorer and based on several local surveys by UCLA and others. I assumed the remainder was nonreligious.

I've heard a lot of positive things about my estimate.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »

The brown in Punjab is obviously Sikhism, but what are the brown counties in eastern India?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2015, 07:22:56 PM »

I used Small Areas.

I compiled China based on a number of sources. I started by using ethnicity data from the most recent census to estimate the number of Muslims, Buddhists, Indigenous, and some Taoists. I then used a slightly regressed version of Asia Harvest's estimate of the Christian population, and finally estimated the remaining number of Taoists/Chinese Folk Religionists based on UMich's China Religion Explorer and based on several local surveys by UCLA and others. I assumed the remainder was nonreligious.

I've heard a lot of positive things about my estimate.

Thanks.

As others have said - very nice, interesting work.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2015, 07:27:32 PM »

The brown in Punjab is obviously Sikhism, but what are the brown counties in eastern India?

It looks like Donyi-Polo in Arunachal Pradesh and Sarnaism in Jharkhand. Both indigenous religions.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2015, 08:19:37 PM »

It looks like Donyi-Polo in Arunachal Pradesh and Sarnaism in Jharkhand. Both indigenous religions.

I suspected that it was either that or Jainism (well, I knew that the latter was unlikely, but Jainism is cool, so I hoped anyway). Thanks!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2015, 01:37:48 PM »

REDDIT!? You've cheated on us scolbert08!
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2015, 01:44:16 PM »

realisticidealist, have you ever considered submitting this to The Atlantic or similar publication? This sounds like the type of thing they'd go for. Not sure what the legalities around getting something to let them use it, though.

I suppose I could look into something like that. I'm not really sure how to approach such things, though.

More likely it'll be posted without attribution (or any attempt at discussion, for that matter) in another "40 Maps That Explain X" series, unfortunately. Be vigilant.

Probably Vox Maps...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thanks. I was hoping for about +1,000 or so with it, but it just kept climbing to over +3,000. I've actually started on a map that was suggested in the comments: a religious diversity map as measured by Shannon entropy. It will be a bit biased toward Christian countries, but from what I've seen of it it's still pretty interesting.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2015, 01:47:44 PM by realisticidealist »

REDDIT!? You've cheated on us scolbert08!

Bigger audience. Besides, I posted it here first. Tongue

If I hadn't, someone else would have posted it there. They've posted my maps from here on there before.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2017, 12:42:31 AM »

Apparently someone published these maps in The Independent.  I was scrolling down my Facebook feed and they came up in the thumbnail.  Knew I recognized the style from somewhere.

Congrats, RI!
Kamala’s side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2023, 08:05:00 PM »

Agree mostly. My mistake on the confusion - I didn't mean social conservatism relative to other Americans - I meant social conservatism relative to other Chinese groups. In particular, the well-known divide between North China and South China on collectivism vs. individualism - and secularism vs. religiosity.

For the religion thing, I don't have a good source for that, but I think it's pretty well-known that Buddhism is much stronger in Southern China. Same with ancestor worship. Joss paper is something you see in stores in Southern China/Taiwan, but not in Northern China. Though I do think you're right that Buddhist Chinese don't strongly use their religion as a political identity the way say, many Burmese Buddhists do.

As an aside, the higher historic religiosity of South China is also why I think in the modern era, weird cults like Falun Gong and White Lightning are much more popular in the North than the South - established religious traditions inoculate societies against weirdo cults, lol.

Forum member RI made a map of religion around the world that showed a North-South divide in China. I didn't really know about this growing up, even though I was kind of aware that Taiwanese, Hong Kongers, and the older Chinese immigrant waves from Guangdong were more religious than the post-Mao Mainland China diaspora. It certainly explains things like Taiwan being very Buddhist and more steeped in Chinese folk religion.

That being said, the mercantile/coastal/sorta cosmopolitan nature of Guangdong I think makes it significantly more socially liberal than other rice-agriculture Confucian regions, like inland Southern China - or for that matter, Vietnam or Korea. But North China is honestly just a psychological aberration in Asia.

Yes AFAIK Northern China is the only part of agriculturalist Pacific-facing Asia with a history of a strong indigenous state where the dominant/default staple grain was not rice.

Funny enough in countries where Chinese immigrants disproportionately come from the North, the political reputation is very different. In South Korea for example, Korean-Chinese vote so monolithically left-liberal (probably in %s exceeding US blacks), Korean conservatives have imported American conservative talking points about Korean-Chinese vote-by-mail fraud to "rig" every election a Korean conservative loses.

I had no idea about that. My impression from learning about international elections on here is that Chinese Americans are more politically left-leaning than Chinese Canadians, Chinese Australians, and Chinese New Zealanders despite possibly being less Northern Chinese on average, due to differences in the history of Chinese immigration and in the political status quo (the US is more right-wing overall and has a more complicated history with race).

Kind of OT, but it would be fascinating to see RI's map with the following adjustments:

1. Removal of "Religious Nones" as a category (i.e., literally the "most popular religion" in each area).

2. A map of only the Protestant (blue) areas but divided by most popoular denomination!

I'd tag him if I knew how, lol...

Well here's the thread he made for sharing the maps back in my proto-lurker days
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2023, 03:47:05 PM »

RI,

Do you have a version of your final map with the subdivision borders overlapping?  When two subdivisions that are next to each other are the same shade (as is the case with much of the US), it is kind of difficult to see the distinction.

AMAZING map.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2023, 01:01:58 PM »

I'm guessing the source for Russia was the 2012 Sreda Arena Atlas survey. Understandable as it was the most recent source at the time the map was made, but it's also a major outlier in terms of religious identification stats for that country. Overall a very interesting map though.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies