World Religion Map by National Subdivision
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:27:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  World Religion Map by National Subdivision
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: World Religion Map by National Subdivision  (Read 26683 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 02:36:30 PM »

I am left speechless. Amazing work, RI.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 02:48:30 PM »

Very detailed. One of the most informative maps posted on the forum Smiley

Just a few points on my home turf. If you are calculating 'No Religion' for Scotland then census guidance suggests that should include those who not only actively declare 'No Religion' on their Census box, but also don't fill it in ('Religion not stated') as faith is a declaration yadda yadda. That boosts the grey somewhat.

As a general rule, I discarded anyone who didn't respond to the question for all countries. This was mainly because the response rates varied heavily between countries, and doing so made the data more consistent across national borders.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 03:52:23 PM »

glad to see that the Protestants are slowly gaining ground in China.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 05:28:37 PM »

Excellent work. LOL Vietnam.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 09:34:28 PM »

Wow. {slow clap}

One of the most interesting/new to me bits, I think, is how northern China is areligious but southern China is... Taoist mostly I guess? Possibly the pink areas have significant overlap with non-Han ethnicities?  Huh.  Like, I knew that China had some Muslims out west but I was pretty ignorant of most other patterns there.

Also I am wondering about the Sikhs in North America.  The tan bits in Guyana/Suriname, or something microscopically small in Canada that I can't see?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2015, 10:36:52 PM »

Wow. {slow clap}

One of the most interesting/new to me bits, I think, is how northern China is areligious but southern China is... Taoist mostly I guess? Possibly the pink areas have significant overlap with non-Han ethnicities?  Huh.  Like, I knew that China had some Muslims out west but I was pretty ignorant of most other patterns there.

Also I am wondering about the Sikhs in North America.  The tan bits in Guyana/Suriname, or something microscopically small in Canada that I can't see?

Yeah, the Sikhs are in Vancouver and Toronto.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2015, 11:15:18 PM »

Now that I'm doing that religious maps of Japan series, I'd appreciate realisticidealist's source for Japan if he still has it, since it's almost certainly significantly more recent than the source I've been using.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 12:01:05 AM »

Now that I'm doing that religious maps of Japan series, I'd appreciate realisticidealist's source for Japan if he still has it, since it's almost certainly significantly more recent than the source I've been using.

It's not nearly as detailed as what you've been using, and my methodology was a bit ad hoc. I started with the data here, which has total religious adherents, total religious organizations, and religious organizations by prefecture. I used religious organizations as a proxy for adherents, adjusting for the discrepancy in the national totals to reduce the overrepresentation of Christianity.

The big problem then is that the dataset allows individuals and organizations to be both Buddhist and Shinto. This time, I actually used your data as a guide to disentangling the two. It became a bit of guesswork at times, but I think the result is fairly close.
compson III
sutpen
Rookie
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 12:04:45 AM »

Is the island of non-Hindu concentration west of Calcutta also the heartland of the Naxalite insurgency?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 12:12:16 AM »

Pretty impressive yes. Much more interesting outside of North America of course.

What's with those non-religious pockets in Mozambique?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 12:13:09 AM »

Beautiful!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »

Wow. {slow clap}

Specifically Surrey and Brampton, respectively (I believe). Would it be possible to see more detailed maps of Canada's major urban centres?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 07:36:08 PM »

realisticidealist, have you ever considered submitting this to The Atlantic or similar publication? This sounds like the type of thing they'd go for. Not sure what the legalities around getting something to let them use it, though.

Also - can you confirm if the two blue Protestant dots south of Hangzhou are Wenzhou & its inland county?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 02:11:16 AM »

I think the red army has the strongest position right now, IMO, as long as it shores up its defenses against the green army.  They could make a strong push up into blue North America.  With those two continents' bonus reinforcements, it'd be a cakewalk after that.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 08:39:44 AM »

This is great! I had no idea China had a religious north-south division like that. I'm also surprised there's not more irreligiousity in Scandinavia, though I assume that's just a result of differences in how this is recorded from country to country.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »

As I understand it there's still a strong cultural/social assumption in Scandinavia that one will be baptized into the relevant Lutheran state church and use it for weddings and funerals, even if one is otherwise thoroughly irreligious.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »

As I understand it there's still a strong cultural/social assumption in Scandinavia that one will be baptized into the relevant Lutheran state church and use it for weddings and funerals, even if one is otherwise thoroughly irreligious.

It is called a "four corner Christian". Someone who only goes to church when he/she turns the four big corners: Baptism, confirmation, wedding and funeral.

It is gradually eroding in the big cities, but very much a reality elsewhere.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »

realisticidealist, have you ever considered submitting this to The Atlantic or similar publication? This sounds like the type of thing they'd go for. Not sure what the legalities around getting something to let them use it, though.

I suppose I could look into something like that. I'm not really sure how to approach such things, though.

Also - can you confirm if the two blue Protestant dots south of Hangzhou are Wenzhou & its inland county?

Yes, I believe that's correct. The shapefile I used has it marked as Yongjia, but I believe they're the same.

Wow. {slow clap}

One of the most interesting/new to me bits, I think, is how northern China is areligious but southern China is... Taoist mostly I guess? Possibly the pink areas have significant overlap with non-Han ethnicities?  Huh.  Like, I knew that China had some Muslims out west but I was pretty ignorant of most other patterns there.

Also I am wondering about the Sikhs in North America.  The tan bits in Guyana/Suriname, or something microscopically small in Canada that I can't see?

Would it be possible to see more detailed maps of Canada's major urban centres?

Yeah, I can do that. Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are the most interesting if I remember correctly.

EDIT: While I'm at it, some of the Australian and New Zealand cities are pretty interesting, too.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »

Thanks. I'd like Ottawa too, if possible Smiley
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 11:39:02 AM »

Toronto:

Montreal:

Ottawa:

Vancouver:

Sydney:

Melbourne:

Auckland:
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 12:04:04 PM »

Ireland:

Great Britain:

Switzerland:
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 03:02:36 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2015, 03:04:29 PM by Mideast Speaker New Canadaland »

Best map ever! The only improvement I can think of is splitting islam into Sunni, Shia, Ibadi. Regional data must be hard to come by but if it could be done for China and Subsahara Africa (places where I had never previously seen such detailed maps), it must be possible.

I can confirm the irreligion in northern China, didn't know it was just in the north though. Oh and isolated spots of blue in China are not a solely modern phenomenon. Look up the Taiping rebellion.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 03:30:21 PM »

Two Muslim Census Tracts in Ottawa. Very interesting. Both areas are large social housing projects.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 04:32:24 PM »

What are the Protestant divisions in the Republic of Ireland?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 04:36:01 PM »

I'd love to split up Islam, but there are so few statistics on it with any sort of geographic specificity. I can only think of about two Islamic countries that ask Shia/Sunni/etc. I could estimate it if I had a proxy like ethnicity, but that's not asked that often either. Heck, it's rare to have an Islamic country that even has a census.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies