Roe v. Wade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:36:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Roe v. Wade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: What is your position on Roe?
Pro-choice/Pro-Roe

Pro-choice/Anti-Roe

Pro-life/Pro-Roe

Pro-life/Anti-Roe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Roe v. Wade  (Read 31003 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2007, 10:34:31 AM »

I think a good way to look at that concept would be to ask outside of having a law on the books just to make a point, how would you be able to enforce such a law without violating the constitution. Could you be able to enforce a law like this without searching without a warrant? Could you be able to substantiate all the elements of the crime you claim to beyond a reasonable doubt...
It is, perhaps, impossible to perfectly enforce any law, with or without violating the Constitution. However, it is clear that an anti-abortion law can be at least partially enforced without violating the Constitution. For instance, one could only prosecute when a woman confesses to performing an abortion.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2007, 11:21:59 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2007, 11:23:33 AM by Angry_Weasel »

Yes, but how can one get a confession. That sounds kinda shady. Also, are you really going to prosecute women? I don't think there has ever been a pro-life law like that in our country, at least the Texas law that was struck down allowed women to perform abortions on themselves. Although I see where you are going. I believe that a "don't ask, don't tell" law could be constitutional and a good middle ground if Roe was overturned.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2007, 02:52:33 PM »

Pro Choice/Anti Roe.

The decision was poorly written, and legally unsound.  The opinion would have been much better off in the hands of a justice like Brennan; Blackmun was a capable justice, he was not strong enough at that stage in his career to craft a strong opinion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies