Should Gore have fought for Florida, a la Ukraine?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:14:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Should Gore have fought for Florida, a la Ukraine?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Should Gore have fought for Florida, a la Ukraine?  (Read 13484 times)
MarkDel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 11:23:44 AM »

No.

The Gore and Bush campaigns should have gotten together and agreed to a state-wide recount, and agreed in advance on all the standards for vote counting.  It should have had bipartisan supervision, and each campaign should have agreed in advance to abide by the results without legal challenges.

Gore was being the typical Democrat, acting like a little girl.  It is the party of women, after all, and Gore's behavior reflected that, whatever he may actually have between his legs.  He refused to agree to accept any results in advance that he didn't like, and then he asked for recounts only in the 4 most heavily Democratic counties.  And to top it all off, he put the son of a well-known vote-stealer as the public spokesman for his recount effort.  When he didn't get the results he wanted, he ran to the courts.

And all the garbage about blacks not being allowed to vote was just that - self-serving garbage being peddled by revolting rejects like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.  Gore's alignment with them is to his eternal discredit.  As far as the "conspiratorial" Palm Beach butterfly ballot goes, it was designed by a partisan Democrat.  Need I say more?

The whole Florida mess was avoidable, but it would have required Gore to act like a man.  I guess that was asking too much.  Better to whine and cry and act like a little girl.

What amazed me is that I never heard of a Republican coming forward stating that his/her vote wasn't counted, or that he/she was confused into voting incorrectly.  How could that be?  Could the Republicans have it rigged so well that all mistakes and confusion favored them?  I guess the Republicans have such a strong presence in inner-city black areas that they were able to prevent blacks from voting there in large numbers.  Or maybe only Democrats aren't smart enough to figure out how to mark a ballot correctly?  I wish I had the answer.

Maybe it's just that the Republican mentality is less victim-oriented.  I remember watching all these annoying Democrats with grating New York accents complain about what a huge conspiracy it was that they voted wrong in Palm Beach County.  How did they know they voted wrong, when they weren't able to see their ballot again after supposedly checking it and turning it in?  They figured out after the fact, without seeing the ballot, that they had been victimized by a ballot that they weren't smart enough to figure out.  That's a big difference right there between a Democrat and a Republican.  A Republican would have enough pride not to announce his utter stupidity on national TV, and try to blame it on a big conspiracy, which of course it turns out was "engineered" by the Democrats, since they engineered the Palm Beach County ballot.  A Republican who knew he had failed to mark his ballot correctly would keep his mouth shut, slink home, and keep his sorrow over the results private.  He wouldn't announce his mistake on national TV.

I just read this post for the first time. Let me nominate this for Post of the Year. Tremendous, tremendous post. Absolutely 1000% right on target. Great job D-Man!
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 09:28:30 PM »

No.

The Gore and Bush campaigns should have gotten together and agreed to a state-wide recount, and agreed in advance on all the standards for vote counting.  It should have had bipartisan supervision, and each campaign should have agreed in advance to abide by the results without legal challenges.

Gore was being the typical Democrat, acting like a little girl.  It is the party of women, after all, and Gore's behavior reflected that, whatever he may actually have between his legs.  He refused to agree to accept any results in advance that he didn't like, and then he asked for recounts only in the 4 most heavily Democratic counties.  And to top it all off, he put the son of a well-known vote-stealer as the public spokesman for his recount effort.  When he didn't get the results he wanted, he ran to the courts.

And all the garbage about blacks not being allowed to vote was just that - self-serving garbage being peddled by revolting rejects like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.  Gore's alignment with them is to his eternal discredit.  As far as the "conspiratorial" Palm Beach butterfly ballot goes, it was designed by a partisan Democrat.  Need I say more?

The whole Florida mess was avoidable, but it would have required Gore to act like a man.  I guess that was asking too much.  Better to whine and cry and act like a little girl.

What amazed me is that I never heard of a Republican coming forward stating that his/her vote wasn't counted, or that he/she was confused into voting incorrectly.  How could that be?  Could the Republicans have it rigged so well that all mistakes and confusion favored them?  I guess the Republicans have such a strong presence in inner-city black areas that they were able to prevent blacks from voting there in large numbers.  Or maybe only Democrats aren't smart enough to figure out how to mark a ballot correctly?  I wish I had the answer.

Maybe it's just that the Republican mentality is less victim-oriented.  I remember watching all these annoying Democrats with grating New York accents complain about what a huge conspiracy it was that they voted wrong in Palm Beach County.  How did they know they voted wrong, when they weren't able to see their ballot again after supposedly checking it and turning it in?  They figured out after the fact, without seeing the ballot, that they had been victimized by a ballot that they weren't smart enough to figure out.  That's a big difference right there between a Democrat and a Republican.  A Republican would have enough pride not to announce his utter stupidity on national TV, and try to blame it on a big conspiracy, which of course it turns out was "engineered" by the Democrats, since they engineered the Palm Beach County ballot.  A Republican who knew he had failed to mark his ballot correctly would keep his mouth shut, slink home, and keep his sorrow over the results private.  He wouldn't announce his mistake on national TV.

I just read this post for the first time. Let me nominate this for Post of the Year. Tremendous, tremendous post. Absolutely 1000% right on target. Great job D-Man!

Thanks man.  Mark, what happened to that great story you were going to tell me about getting banned from some college near Princeton due to your scandalous behavior?  You promised to tell me that story days ago, and I'm still waiting, man. Tongue
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2005, 08:29:43 PM »

Why would Gore have wanted it anyway? What happens when a president gets elected in a year with a "0" at the end?

1840: William Henry Harrison (Died in Office)
1860: Abraham Lincoln (Assassinated)
1880: James A. Garfield (Assassinated)
1900: William McKinley (Assassinated)
1920: Warren G. Harding (Died in Office)
1940: Franklin D. Roosevelt (Died in Office)
1960: John F. Kennedy (Assassinated)
1980: Ronald Reagan (Survived Assassination Attempt)

So we have yet to see what happens to President Bush...Gore may have lucked out! Surprise

Wink
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2005, 12:32:24 PM »

No.

Regarding Republicans not having a victim mentality, lets consider several points
1. The Republicans are constantly playing the victim when it comes to prayer in school. "The evil liberals took our God away."
2. The Republicans are constantly playing the victim when it comes to guns. "The evil liberals are trying to take our guns away."
3. The Republicans are constantly playing the victim when it comes to taxes. "The evil liberals are trying to take all our money away (as if they didn't use parks and roads)."
4. The Republicans LOVE playing the victim when it comes to American foreign policy, as if America had never sewed what it reaped (allying with the Shah of Iran for instance)
My personal favorite Republican victim:
5. The Republicans play the victim against  "liberal media" that are vindictively and purposelessly out to destroy them. Somehow every facet of our life works out on a supply v. demand curve in Republican-world except for the news.
MarkDel

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2005, 07:20:08 PM »

Memphis,

It's not PLAYING a victim when you're actually telling the truth rather than merely screaming about non-issues.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2005, 09:02:17 PM »

My personal favorite Republican victim:
5. The Republicans play the victim against  "liberal media" that are vindictively and purposelessly out to destroy them. Somehow every facet of our life works out on a supply v. demand curve in Republican-world except for the news.

FOXNews:  Not liberal and #1 on cable.

You ever hear the liberal whining about it?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2005, 11:30:19 PM »

Memphis,

It's not PLAYING a victim when you're actually telling the truth rather than merely screaming about non-issues.

Democrats think the things that they complain about, like poverty or gun violence, are issues. Venture into an inner-city and you'll see why Dems feel this way. Both parties have martyr complexes about different issues. Each party disregards the other's pet issues as "non-issues."
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies