James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:23:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat  (Read 15659 times)
NHLiberal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »

I think Lankford places 1st on Tuesday, but I can't see him winning a runoff with Shannon.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »

The Tulsa base being split between Shannon and Brogdon is what is keeping Lankford afloat IMO.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2014, 11:42:41 PM »

This is lack of party discipline at work. The party grandees know it would be good for the party for Shannon to win. Yet they aren't able to make this Lankford fellow see this and act in the good of the party.

So you're against the crazy Tea Party loons like Dave Brat (and get pretty riled up and existential when they win), except when they're black, then you're for them?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2014, 02:29:55 AM »

Lankford now has the momentum it seems:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.news9.com/story/25841377/exclusive-poll-lankford-gains-lead-over-shannon-before-primary
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2014, 05:52:39 AM »

Yeah, look like Lankford wins outright.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2014, 01:35:30 PM »

538's Harry Enten predicts that there will be a runoff.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2014, 09:00:40 PM »

This is lack of party discipline at work. The party grandees know it would be good for the party for Shannon to win. Yet they aren't able to make this Lankford fellow see this and act in the good of the party.

So you're against the crazy Tea Party loons like Dave Brat (and get pretty riled up and existential when they win), except when they're black, then you're for them?

Is there much ideological difference between Shannon and Lankford though? My (rather distant) understanding is that this isn't the archetypical Tea Party vs Establishment race and that both are pretty close on that spectrum.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2014, 10:19:57 PM »

Is there much ideological difference between Shannon and Lankford though? My (rather distant) understanding is that this isn't the archetypical Tea Party vs Establishment race and that both are pretty close on that spectrum.

I think you're right about  Shannon and Lankford being quite similar. We are seeing a divide within both the establishment and the Tea Party on who to support, but it seems like some Tea Party groups have ruled out both Shannon and Lankford and are throwing support behind Randy Brogdon, who doesn't seem to have any real chance at victory.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2014, 10:30:19 PM »

It's sort of like the Nebraska race where it's more that Lankford has ties to establishment characters while Shannon has ties with the Tea Party (though he was a staffer for Tom Cole). However, I would say that Lankford is defined a bit more by socon-ness and by not being a bomb thrower.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »

Both sides expect a runoff.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »

I hope there is a runoff; the MS Sen runoff took away attention that could have been paid to this race.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2014, 08:38:12 PM »

Lankford has *officially* won the Republican primary!
The rest should be a breeze.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2014, 09:25:14 PM »

I supported Shannon early on, but I'm glad Lankford won - ultimately I think he will be a better senator for Oklahoma. Tonight was critical - I think he would have lost the runoff once the Tea Party turned it's focus away from Mississippi.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »

Man, Oklahoma still has some Bradley effect for statewide Republican primary. tsk tsk.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2014, 10:15:18 PM »

Man, Oklahoma still has some Bradley effect for statewide Republican primary. tsk tsk.

Yeah, undecideds basically broke 100% for Lankford. "Undecided" my ass.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2014, 10:30:01 PM »

Not that it matters really, but AP projects that Johnson and Rogers will be going to a runoff. Thanks to Hayes surprisingly well performance despite being a little known perennial who has no picture base and hasn't campaigned or stated his views on issues, Johnson was kept at 44% to Rogers 35%. It will be another boring, no show race if Rogers is the nominee again, but when stuck with a sociocon in the House GOP leadership and a huge progressive liberal, that would be interesting to see where the centrists would go in such a polarizing election.

Regarding the other Senate race, I'm a little shocked Inhofe outperformed his 2008 performance. He got nearly 90% of the vote tonight as opposed to 2008 when he got 84% against a smaller slew of primary candidates. The only explanation I can think of for this is the tragic loss of Inhofe's son still in the minds of many Oklahoma voters, but I'm not sure.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2014, 11:11:37 PM »

disgusting.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2014, 11:19:54 PM »

Not sure when the run-off is, but I feel like I should re-register Democrat to vote for Johnson. She certainly has my vote against Lankford.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2014, 11:32:37 PM »

Not sure when the run-off is, but I feel like I should re-register Democrat to vote for Johnson. She certainly has my vote against Lankford.
Not a fan of Jim Rogers? Sad
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2014, 04:06:14 PM »

FTFY
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »

Does anyone have a county-by-county map of the Republican primary?
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »

August 26th. Just make sure that if you do to vote in the Dem runoff, to vote for Deskin for Superintendent and McAffrey for U.S. Rep as well on the Democratic ballot. Wink  I'm stunned to see the incumbent Republican got absolutely demolished in that race though; Barresi apparently spent millions to try and save her seat only to come in dead last. Tongue

With the Democratic primary, I think Johnson is favored. Not only did she get a larger chunk of the vote, but she still has time to campaign and GOTV against someone who isn't campaigning at all plus is it possible Hayes only got 21% of the vote because his name was first one the ballot and Oklahomans had no idea who either of the 3 candidates was? With Hayes out, Johnson will be at the top of the runoff ballot which should favor her, to.

Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2014, 07:08:08 PM »

Maxwell, any speculation as to how Rogers keeps getting nominated? Tongue
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2014, 11:04:04 PM »

Maxwell, any speculation as to how Rogers keeps getting nominated? Tongue

Does anyone have an answer?
NHLiberal

« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2014, 11:23:33 PM »

August 26th. Just make sure that if you do to vote in the Dem runoff, to vote for Deskin for Superintendent and McAffrey for U.S. Rep as well on the Democratic ballot. Wink  I'm stunned to see the incumbent Republican got absolutely demolished in that race though; Barresi apparently spent millions to try and save her seat only to come in dead last. Tongue

With the Democratic primary, I think Johnson is favored. Not only did she get a larger chunk of the vote, but she still has time to campaign and GOTV against someone who isn't campaigning at all plus is it possible Hayes only got 21% of the vote because his name was first one the ballot and Oklahomans had no idea who either of the 3 candidates was? With Hayes out, Johnson will be at the top of the runoff ballot which should favor her, to.

So I see she did, in fact, get "creamed"

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=182005.msg3936485#msg3936485
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies