Will science and education render religion obsolete?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:15:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Will science and education render religion obsolete?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will science and education render religion obsolete?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 0

Author Topic: Will science and education render religion obsolete?  (Read 3484 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2005, 05:18:33 PM »

Our human bodies are incredibly complex and sophisticated. It seems to me that we either believe that we came about by design created by a highly  intelligent being, or we believe we came about by evolution. I can believe that evolution plays a role, but it seems like there are some serious holes in that theory, if you assume that there is no other influence.

Quite a few years ago scientists showed that with a mixture of hydrocarbons subjected to electric discharge you could create amino acids, building blocks of life. The next step is to get from amino acids to DNA. But no one has come close to doing that in a laboratory.

If we could show that some of the steps needed to get from the primordial ooze to human beings could not have happened by random chance, as evolution requires, then what are we left to believe?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2005, 05:28:46 PM »

Putting aside any argument that "God is real, so therefor, no" I have to say no.

There will always be a longing in the human soul/mind to explain questions that science will never be able to answer.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2005, 05:42:56 PM »

Because we see it every day, we sometimes forget that life itself is a miracle, one that cannot be adequately explained with all our scientific advances.

With all our technology, we are not able to create an object that thinks for itself, grows, changes, and becomes any more than we made it at the beginning.

The thought that each of us developed from an egg about the size of a pin-head, coupled with a microscopic sperm, is almost mindboggling when you think about it.

Even the idea of food growing right out of the ground is a miracle if you really think about it.

Science can explain these things within certain narrow parameters, but science can't give a full explanation for how these things happen.  The reality is that life is unique, and we can't create it, and neither can we bring it back after it is gone.  Until that changes, religion will be around.

It's these questions that have led me to a belief in a higher power.

Where did the higher power come from?

Where did the universe came from if there is no higher power?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2005, 06:33:05 PM »

Because we see it every day, we sometimes forget that life itself is a miracle, one that cannot be adequately explained with all our scientific advances.

With all our technology, we are not able to create an object that thinks for itself, grows, changes, and becomes any more than we made it at the beginning.

The thought that each of us developed from an egg about the size of a pin-head, coupled with a microscopic sperm, is almost mindboggling when you think about it.

Even the idea of food growing right out of the ground is a miracle if you really think about it.

Science can explain these things within certain narrow parameters, but science can't give a full explanation for how these things happen.  The reality is that life is unique, and we can't create it, and neither can we bring it back after it is gone.  Until that changes, religion will be around.

Where did the universe came from if there is no higher power?

You cannot convince most non-believers to believe, Bono.  They have already denied their most basic feelings and yearnings to get where they are anyway.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2005, 06:36:40 PM »

You cannot convince most non-believers to believe, Bono.  They have already denied their most basic feelings and yearnings to get where they are anyway.

Hah, that's right - belief is nothing more than a feeling or a yearning, in other words a psychological need.  Some of us are a little more self-aware than that.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2005, 07:09:55 PM »

That's a good question, and is one to which I have no answer, but is also one which does not in any way refute any of my argument in favor of its existence.  Not knowing the origin of something does not mean it does not exist.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2005, 08:16:13 PM »

No, I honestly believe in the long run science will prove what we already have known for years. God DOES exist.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2005, 08:18:14 PM »

No, I honestly believe in the long run science will prove what we already have known for years. God DOES exist.

Hahahahhahahahahahaha
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2005, 08:20:41 PM »

Hahahahhahahahahahaha

Trolling again I see. What an argument there fellow.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2005, 09:21:19 PM »

Religion has always been able to adapt to a new world view shaped by increased scientific knowledge.  True, it sometimes takes a few centuries for the church to catch up, but the adjustment eventually happens.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2005, 10:34:31 PM »

Religion has always been able to adapt to a new world view shaped by increased scientific knowledge.  True, it sometimes takes a few centuries for the church to catch up, but the adjustment eventually happens.

Of course, there are those who still have yet to catch up...
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2005, 03:30:40 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2005, 06:00:15 PM by Alcon »

Putting aside any argument that "God is real, so therefor, no" I have to say no.

There will always be a longing in the human soul/mind to explain questions that science will never be able to answer.

For example:

what the hell was michael jackson thinking when he showed up to court in his pajamas.

what created God

what created the thing that created God

did Al Gore really win in 2000

is Al Gore the thing that created God

what the hell was redefeat thinking when he posted that last question

are you your body or just your mind (think about it)

is life after death like life before birth

how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood

I do however firmly believe that we can scientifically prove how life began if we further investigate the theory of chemical evolution.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2005, 05:33:53 PM »

No. Of course not... what an absurd question.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2005, 07:13:37 PM »

No. Of course not... what an absurd question.

You took the words right out of my mouth Al.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies