NC: PPP: Still a tossup
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:30:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  NC: PPP: Still a tossup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NC: PPP: Still a tossup  (Read 4636 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:03:32 PM »
« edited: January 14, 2014, 12:08:09 PM by MilesC56 »

Article.

Hagan- 42%
Tillis- 43%

Hagan- 41%
Brannon- 43%

Hagan- 42%
Flynn- 44%

Hagan- 41%
Harris- 43%

Hagan- 41%
Grant- 43%

Hagan's approval is 39/49 (obviously lower than I'd like) which mirrors the 38/48 split against the ACA.

Tillis is up to 19% in the GOP primary; an improvement for him, but the toplines of this poll really don't reinforce any electability argument he would have.

None of the non-Tillis Republicans have under 70% unknowns.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »

Not too surprising. Hagan has a built-in advantage though- Tillis is toxic.
illegaloperation

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »

In this race, is Hagan basically a generic Democrat?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:23:01 PM »

To some extent, but I think its more a function of the others being unknown Generic Republicans. For instance, if the voters in the general found out what a nut Branon is, it wouldn't be a close race.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 12:30:17 PM »

To some extent, but I think its more a function of the others being unknown Generic Republicans. For instance, if the voters in the general found out what a nut Branon is, it wouldn't be a close race.

Yeah, the more people learn about the GOP field here, the less they'll like. They're doing so well right now just because they're generic Rs due to low name recognition.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »

Nothing to see for another couple of months, but Tillis is still their best bet despite his baggage.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2014, 12:34:30 PM by Scott »

Even if you take name recognition into account, the GOP really shouldn't be neck-and-neck with Hagan thanks to the damage they've caused the state...
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »

Glorious news!

Mr. Thom 'Taxcut' Tillis will undoubtedly be campaigning on the massive decline of the unemployment rate after the white liberals were completely jettisoned from the state government.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »

Glorious news!

Mr. Thom 'Taxcut' Tillis will undoubtedly be campaigning on the massive decline of the unemployment rate after the white liberals were completely jettisoned from the state government.

Stop playing dumb for the sake of trolling. The majority of statewide offices are held by white Democrats.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »

Glorious news!

Stop playing dumb for the sake of trolling. The majority of statewide offices are held by white Democrats.

Ah, but Mr. Tillis would be referring to the primary office and the state legislature of course, and not secondary offices of lesser importance that had little to do with this.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 02:29:28 PM »

Glorious news!

Ah, but Mr. Tillis would be referring to the primary office and the state legislature of course, and not secondary offices of lesser importance that had little to do with this.

Why should North Carolina Republicans be proud about a unemployment rate that has consistently been higher than the national rate?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 02:56:10 PM »

Glorious news!

I was referring to your point about 'white liberals' being jettisoned from state government; this is of course flat wrong and you knew that.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »

As a Democrat I'm pulling for Brannon, especially with his latest comments.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »

Glorious news!

Why would Tillis campaign on the Obama recovery?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 03:48:09 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2014, 03:56:09 PM by krazen1211 »

Glorious news!

Why should North Carolina Republicans be proud about a unemployment rate that has consistently been higher than the national rate?

I suspect the downward slope that began with Mr. Tillis and Mr. McCrory's joint tenure would be the source of that pride.

Right around June, North Carolina Republicans permitted the extended handout freeloader unemployment benefits program to expire. It turns out that resulted in a massive decline in unemployment! How about that!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »

Glorious news!

I was referring to your point about 'white liberals' being jettisoned from state government; this is of course flat wrong and you knew that.

Very well then. The white liberals were merely jettisoned from the Governor and Lt. Governor's office, I suppose. Guess it was enough.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »

Glorious news!

He would not. Mr. Thom 'taxcut' Tillis would campaign on the Thom Tillis tax cut and the Thom Tillis recovery. Obama is associated with Hagan and vice versa.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »

Glorious news!

He would not. Mr. Thom 'taxcut' Tillis would campaign on the Thom Tillis tax cut and the Thom Tillis recovery. Obama is associated with Hagan and vice versa.
So in other words, "Obama gets blamed for all the bad and Tillis/McCrory gets credit for all of the good."
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 04:26:07 PM »

Hagan is pulling a McCaskill/Reid and not running ads until the R primary is over, so that they can get their best possible opponent (Tillis/Brannon)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »

Moving this to the Toss-Up category, and I'm surprised by these recent results.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »

Glorious news!

So in other words, "Obama gets blamed for all the bad and Tillis/McCrory gets credit for all of the good."

That is typically how political campaigns work, yes.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 05:24:40 PM »

Tillis is up to 19% in the GOP primary; an improvement for him, but the toplines of this poll really don't reinforce any electability argument he would have.

Basically, the runoff will be Tillis vs. someone (and considering how unpopular the legislature is, I have a hunch that whatever Republican emerges from the runoff, no matter how obscure, would be a serious challenger to and possibly even favored against Tillis). Unfortunately, two of the biggest names in opposition are Greg Brannon (too economically right; might make for a good Senator from a safe, Western state, but not NC) and Mark Harris (too socially right).

Heather Grant sounds to me, from a quick read about her, like she would be a good nominee -- a young woman, has no link to the state legislature, with a background in the military (can't hurt) and in medicine (can keep the focus on Obamacare), she can be the generic Republican to Hagan's generic Democrat (and in NC 2014, generic congressional R probably beats generic congressional D). Flynn doesn't sound particularly bad either -- just that Grant may be the stronger candidate. What do you think, Miles? (I could easily be wrong; I hadn't heard of her until I saw her name in this poll write-up and then read a single article about her linked from Wikipedia).
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 10:20:33 PM »

Very well then. The white liberals were merely jettisoned from the Governor and Lt. Governor's office, I suppose. Guess it was enough.

What I don't understand is why you have to make a point of trashing 'white liberals' every time NC comes up. You don't do that over at RRH. Surely, you have some sort of filter.

Do you just like to get called out here? You're a smart guy and I don't see why you like to resort to stuff like that.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »

Basically, the runoff will be Tillis vs. someone (and considering how unpopular the legislature is, I have a hunch that whatever Republican emerges from the runoff, no matter how obscure, would be a serious challenger to and possibly even favored against Tillis). Unfortunately, two of the biggest names in opposition are Greg Brannon (too economically right; might make for a good Senator from a safe, Western state, but not NC) and Mark Harris (too socially right).

Heather Grant sounds to me, from a quick read about her, like she would be a good nominee -- a young woman, has no link to the state legislature, with a background in the military (can't hurt) and in medicine (can keep the focus on Obamacare), she can be the generic Republican to Hagan's generic Democrat (and in NC 2014, generic congressional R probably beats generic congressional D). Flynn doesn't sound particularly bad either -- just that Grant may be the stronger candidate. What do you think, Miles? (I could easily be wrong; I hadn't heard of her until I saw her name in this poll write-up and then read a single article about her linked from Wikipedia).

Pub establishment may not be so keen on someone they see as a Some Dudette, plus they're configured for Tillis. Dunno if they'd quickly back a non-Tillis candidate or sulk. Miles?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »

Admittedly, I haven't followed either Grant or Flynn very closely. From the info on their websites that I've been checking, though, I just don't think either of them will have the fundraising/campaign effort to run a fully statewide operation. They both need to get more endorsements if they want to carve out greater niches for themselves, IMO.

Flynn strikes me as a loose cannon; I can see him having several gaffes. Grant is from Wilkes County, so she'll lack an urban geographical base, which is probably a precondition to making the runoff.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies