NC: PPP: Still a tossup
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:42:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  NC: PPP: Still a tossup
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NC: PPP: Still a tossup  (Read 4660 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 10:54:03 PM »

Glorious news!

Mr. Thom 'Taxcut' Tillis will undoubtedly be campaigning on the massive decline of the unemployment rate after the white liberals were completely jettisoned from the state government.

Your racism is so astounding. Why are you so obsessed with white liberals? Are white people only supposed to be conservative?
Oedipus Rex
theleftisright
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 11:02:34 PM »

This poll makes more sense than ones I've seen previously.  I could never figure out why Brannon was polling so well against Hagan.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 11:22:56 PM »

Tillis is up to 19% in the GOP primary; an improvement for him, but the toplines of this poll really don't reinforce any electability argument he would have.

None of the non-Tillis Republicans have under 70% unknowns.

Basically, the runoff will be Tillis vs. someone (and considering how unpopular the legislature is, I have a hunch that whatever Republican emerges from the runoff, no matter how obscure, would be a serious challenger to and possibly even favored against Tillis). Unfortunately, two of the biggest names in opposition are Greg Brannon (too economically right; might make for a good Senator from a safe, Western state, but not NC) and Mark Harris (too socially right).

Heather Grant sounds to me, from a quick read about her, like she would be a good nominee -- a young woman, has no link to the state legislature, with a background in the military (can't hurt) and in medicine (can keep the focus on Obamacare), she can be the generic Republican to Hagan's generic Democrat (and in NC 2014, generic congressional R probably beats generic congressional D). Flynn doesn't sound particularly bad either -- just that Grant may be the stronger candidate. What do you think, Miles? (I could easily be wrong; I hadn't heard of her until I saw her name in this poll write-up and then read a single article about her linked from Wikipedia).

From what I've researched Grant would probably be the best candidate for reasons you gave. Harris might be able to win too. But Brannon's darker ties are going to come up, and if Republicans nominate her, he's going to be closer to Todd Akin than Ted Cruz.

Bill Flynn is essentially a Cruz acolyte. Whatever Ted Cruz does, he will follow. I'd say he's less toxic than Tillis, but more toxic than Harris. In order of electability I'd rank them Grant-Harris-Flynn-Tillis-Brannon.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 12:40:35 AM »

FWIW, there was a candidate forum on the R side this evening. This was the third such event that Tillis missed though.

I'll try to post the video when (if) its released.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies