CA-Gov: Angelides, Lockyer takes on Arnold
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:25:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CA-Gov: Angelides, Lockyer takes on Arnold  (Read 1198 times)
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2005, 02:47:44 PM »

by kos
Wed Mar 16th, 2005 at 11:00:53 PST

State Treasure Phil Angelides announced his candidacy for California governor, while Attorney General said he'll be announcing as well.
State Attorney General Bill Lockyer and state Treasurer Phil Angelides became the first Democrats to say they will challenge Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger should the popular Republican governor run for re-election next year.
Angelides became the first official Democratic challenger to the governor, kicking off his campaign Tuesday by charging Schwarzenegger has broken campaign promises and endorsed "Bush-Cheney policies of debt, division and diminished opportunity."

But Lockyer's comments, coming during a lunch with California reporters in Washington, D.C., caused the greater stir.

First, the attorney general said he plans to run for governor next year, adding "it's not a formal announcement, but that's what I'm working on."

Then, he criticized Schwarzenegger's leadership style, saying "I don't like to dwell on this. But it has a little bit of the sort of the odor of Austrian politics. There's a sort of arrogance of power that bothers me. You know, Arnold is still an Austrian citizen."

Asked pointedly if he were referring to Nazi-era Austria, the attorney general replied, "I'm just talking about the culture,'' he said, adding that there was a "long history from the Austria-Hungarian empire on, of sort of a more autocracy... it's a more elite system."

I'm not sure what to make of Lockyer's comments, but they strike me as somewhat odd.
Angelides has $12 million already for the race, Lockyer $11 million. Angelides is on the DLC's list (though a spokesman told me "while not a formal member of the DLC, Treasurer Angelides has in the past met with many party leaders, including the DLC"). Lockyer is not.

Lockyer voted for Arnold during the recall election. Angelides did not.

To be realistic, Arnold has a commanding lead in the polls and will have more money than god. Can either Lockyer or Angelides make a race out of it? Depends on how much Schwarzenegger's budget hurts him with California voters. The sucker is draconian.

http://dailykos.com/story/2005/3/16/14053/3276
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 05:08:07 PM »

In a state like California, Arnold is guaranteed to have a tough race just because of the "R" after his name.  No matter how high he polls there are people who will always vote for the Democrat because they disagree with the national Republican Party.

Remember at this stage of the 1992 campaign GHWB looked unbeatable and the Dems w/ the biggest name recognition passed on the race and a little known Ark Gov won the nomination and the presidency when Bush Sr's numbers dropped like a meteor.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 09:14:50 PM »

My prediction:

Arnold 53%
Lockyer 42%
Others 5%

Arnold 57%
Angelides 40%
Others 3%
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 09:21:55 PM »

I think Angelides  will be a stronger candidate than Lockyer.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 10:43:20 PM »

Either way, Ahnuld wins.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 07:36:26 PM »

Arnold is not invincible.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 08:05:23 PM »

The budget isnb't even close to draconian.  The problem is all this waste we pay out in penions to public employees and the like.  We have some of the nation's highest tax rates, and yet there's not enough for some of the Democrats.  I got news, it will never be enough for thsoe people.

Cut! Cut! Cut!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies