Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:05:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins  (Read 160232 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: January 01, 2014, 11:29:06 AM »

Ahem. All of Ontario's municipalities vote in October. >(

EKOS year-end poll is out. Greatest Canadian of 2013 is Hatfield by a wide margin, Ford Biggest Villain, Trudeau Preferred Drinking Companion, most Canadians expect either the Tories or Grits to win next year.

Again, no one has an ipolitics account! Here is the EKOS link: http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2013/12/looking-backward-and-looking-forward-part-1/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 11:31:14 AM »

FTR, I mentioned they should include Justin Bieber in that poll. They were having none of that.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »

So there are more people who feel that Rob Ford (or basically any politician) is a greater Canadian than Carly Rae Jepsen? Please end the world.

(and apparently the idiots spelled her name wrong. Please prepare the drones)

I'll let the guy who made the mistake know that you personally think he's an idiot Roll Eyes

Luckily, it was spelled correctly on the survey itself.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 04:22:40 PM »

I really don't understand the people who would still vote for Ford.

This is a good analysis: http://torontoist.com/2014/01/the-teflon-mayor-reading-rob-fords-poll-numbers/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 04:25:09 PM »

Of note, Ford supporters tend to be lower educated, often lower income, non-white (non WASP, especially; Ford is a Catholic), suburban, car drivers.  Basically the kind of people who think they're on the "outside" of power.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »

Most successful Canadian comedians go south in their "economic best interests" and thus wouldn't be eligible to vote.

I don't think very many Toronto comedians are voting for Ford. Do you honestly think Rick Mercer is a member of Ford Nation?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »

Anders needs to go. It's theoretically possible. After all, Nenshi won the area in the Fall.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:14:10 PM »

I know the Ontario Tories have had sitting MPPs get primaried. I know Norm Sterling was primaried by a tea bagger in the last election.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 08:07:38 PM »

I know the Ontario Tories have had sitting MPPs get primaried. I know Norm Sterling was primaried by a tea bagger in the last election.

No, he may have gotten primaried by a more conservative candidate, but no true Canadian, no true Empire Loyalist would consider himself a tea bagger.  Never forget that the Boston Tea Party was done by a bunch of radical rebel scum, not by conservatives.

Libertarianish suburban/rural politicians are often referred to as Tea Partiers up here. People affiliated with the Ontario Landowners Union are considered as such.  Another example is a certain mayor of a large metropolis in this country.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 04:35:52 PM »

Yes, and I doubt actual Tea Partiers would approve of our loyalty to the Crown.

You're not exactly the Canadian tea bagger type. You're very socially conservative, and economically moderate. Canadian tea baggers are the opposite. Socially moderate, economically very right wing.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 09:45:26 PM »

I forget whether this has been discussed here, but: what is the status of Ontario provincial redistribution? Is there legislation addressing the question whether a provincial election after the passage of the federal representation order would be held with the new federal boundaries?

Not that I know of; it will probably be addressed after the next election.

I am hoping for a complete overhaul, including adding new ridings (20-40 more, at least), but that is rather unlikely.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 09:47:13 PM »

Another idea is to equalize Northern Ontario's ridings, but create a sub-provincial parliament (a devolved legislature if you will) for the region, like Scotland.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 07:53:20 AM »

I forget whether this has been discussed here, but: what is the status of Ontario provincial redistribution? Is there legislation addressing the question whether a provincial election after the passage of the federal representation order would be held with the new federal boundaries?

Not that I know of; it will probably be addressed after the next election.

Hmm. That will make for some seriously imbalanced ridings, if an election is still to be contested with the old map.

Yep, but an election could happen this Spring.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 11:23:06 PM »

So, are the Liberals governing to the left of the NDP?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 08:03:32 AM »

An election during the Olympics? F**king Marois.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 08:30:15 PM »

Not a good time for the NL NDP, they're in shambles at the moment.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 08:39:39 PM »

Why does the election have to be this year? Isn't it scheduled for Fall 2015? What does the law say?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »

Thanks for that, Hash. Technically, the election could be held in Jan 2015, no? Most likely it will be in the Fall.

An interesting law; I've never heard of anything similar to that, but I like the idea of it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 08:12:52 PM »

We're doing a poll as well, results should be out tomorrow, I'd say.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 09:55:20 AM »

Not only absurd, but a stone faced lie.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 11:17:34 AM »

Not only absurd, but a stone faced lie.

Oops, I hadn't heard the news- didn't realize he was doing this now.

It is kind of absurd, it's hard to keep the institution apolitical, especially if there are still Conservatives there. The Senate's not the Supreme Court, after all. In Canada though, it's possible to make the Senate somewhat apolitical, because the Supreme Court is appointed in a similar matter, and it is fairly apolitical. Canada is not the U.S. But what's to stop either institution from becoming political in the future, though?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »

Also, I'm disappointed in Trudeau's lack of vision - he says he doesn't want to re-open the constitution? What's wrong with that? The system's broken, let's fix it. At least Harper wants to fix it.

Easy solution: Let's have a referendum. Give Canadians 3 choices: Abolish, reform or maintain. Use AV to ensure one of the options gets a majority. Winning option gets a mandate for constitutional reform (or lackthereof).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 09:46:35 AM »

Speaking of Bieber, he's been arraigned on assault charges in Toronto.

New EKOS out: 33.2/29.7/24.3

Told you we'd have a poll out Smiley

This is one I worked on. (Not the analysis though, so Hash- don't complain about spelling mistakes!)

Poll details: http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2014/01/closer-race-as-parliament-begins-january-30-2014/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 11:58:34 AM »

Official transposition of the 2011 results on the new ridings now available by Elections Canada: http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=cir/trans2013&document=index&lang=e
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 07:40:46 PM »

Conrad Black has been stripped of his Order of Canada and PC by the government.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies