Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:30:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 64
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins  (Read 160078 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: April 22, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »

Trudeau's negatives have also skyrocketed, now at 45/44 approval. Elections aren't won with prayers and all that.

Liberal minority I imagine. Tory numbers will recover a bit by election time and the NDP has a high enough floor to prevent any majorities.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #451 on: April 22, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »

Trudeau's negatives have also skyrocketed, now at 45/44 approval. Elections aren't won with prayers and all that.

Liberal minority I imagine. Tory numbers will recover a bit by election time and the NDP has a high enough floor to prevent any majorities.

No, the NDP floor is much lower than you think. Maybe 15?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #452 on: April 22, 2014, 08:20:15 PM »

It would require a collapse in Quebec.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #453 on: April 22, 2014, 08:43:43 PM »

It would require a collapse in Quebec.

Yeah. Barring a wave or change in alignment I'd put the NDP floor around 20 or so.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #454 on: April 22, 2014, 09:58:25 PM »

Why? They've only ever got more than 20% in two elections in their entire history. Of course it would require a collapse in Quebec to get lower than that again, but that's not outside the realm of possibility, considering they've only voted NDP once before.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #455 on: April 22, 2014, 10:09:25 PM »

This is Canada. How can anyone take any of these things as a given?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #456 on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »

Once upon the time the NDP's floor was 6%. Don't see it going that low in the near future.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #457 on: April 22, 2014, 10:50:35 PM »

Why? They've only ever got more than 20% in two elections in their entire history. Of course it would require a collapse in Quebec to get lower than that again, but that's not outside the realm of possibility, considering they've only voted NDP once before.

Federally, Quebec swings around once every decade. 1984 (Liberal->PC), 1993 (PC->Bloc), 2004 (Liberal->Bloc), 2011 (Bloc->NDP). NDP should be safe until early 2020s.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #458 on: April 23, 2014, 03:12:58 AM »

So what's up with that Angus Reid poll? Rogue poll or is there a shift afoot?

otherwise normal poll save for a huge swing to the Tories in Ontario.  methinks a 20th poll

That's probably it, but could be that all the talk of a provincial election is focusing attention on that and possibly tainting the grit name?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #459 on: April 24, 2014, 07:23:38 AM »

More Prentice PC buzz, believe when seen.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #460 on: April 24, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »

Robocall investigation is closed.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #461 on: April 24, 2014, 01:06:41 PM »

Disgusting. Again, the Conservative Party used their power to protect themselves.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #462 on: April 24, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »

In other news, Poilievre will support some Senate FEA amendments, so looks like it'll still pass on time.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #463 on: April 24, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »

Ipsos national has 33/33/24. Only 23% following FEA debate closely, in line with Angus-Reid & Political Traction.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #464 on: April 24, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »

"Only" 23?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #465 on: April 24, 2014, 10:52:37 PM »

Or to put it another way, 77% aren't following closely. Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #466 on: April 24, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »

Some more FEA numbers: 87% think ID should be presented to vote, 70% support eliminating vouching, 52% don't care if it makes voting difficult for some. All # from CTV's Richard Madan.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #467 on: April 24, 2014, 11:40:46 PM »

It's interesting that after all the criticisms from the experts and the media, Canadians still support the measures. I suppose the people who are following it closely are more likely to be against it.

I once vouched for my roommate, even though I knew he was going to vote Tory. That's how much I support the right to vote.

Also, the fact that 52% of Canadians don't care if voting is difficult disgusts me.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #468 on: April 25, 2014, 08:49:08 AM »

Supremes rule as expected on the Senate: 7/50 for elections and term limits, unanimity for abolition, feds can abolish QC property requirement without consulting Assnat.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #469 on: April 25, 2014, 12:11:04 PM »

It's interesting that after all the criticisms from the experts and the media, Canadians still support the measures. I suppose the people who are following it closely are more likely to be against it.

I once vouched for my roommate, even though I knew he was going to vote Tory. That's how much I support the right to vote.

Also, the fact that 52% of Canadians don't care if voting is difficult disgusts me.

I think it's just more that 52% of Canadians are sufficiently comfortable and have long been sufficiently comfortable to simply not be able to grasp how difficult this can be for some people's circumstances. It's so very far outside your typical middle class Canadian's life experience to not be able to prove your identity that they simply don't get it
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #470 on: April 25, 2014, 12:21:24 PM »

A fair few FEA amendments.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #471 on: April 25, 2014, 04:04:48 PM »

The Nova Scotia Barrister's Society will not accredit Trinity Western's law school unless they drop their same sex marriage covenant... because tolerance.

Test Act here we come Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #472 on: April 25, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »

The Nova Scotia Barrister's Society will not accredit Trinity Western's law school unless they drop their same sex marriage covenant... because tolerance.

Good decision. Schools aren't allowed to dictate how students must act out of school.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #473 on: April 25, 2014, 06:27:14 PM »

I think it's just more that 52% of Canadians are sufficiently comfortable and have long been sufficiently comfortable to simply not be able to grasp how difficult this can be for some people's circumstances. It's so very far outside your typical middle class Canadian's life experience to not be able to prove your identity that they simply don't get it

Yes, most middle class voters have driver's licenses. I have an expired one (I have no need or desire to drive anymore) and was lucky enough to be able to use it last summer as ID in a by-election (they didn't check whether it was valid, and I'm not sure if it even matters, as it still has a photo of me).  My partner even used her British passport! We also used some bills to prove where we lived.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #474 on: April 25, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »

Good decision. Schools aren't allowed to dictate how students must act out of school.

Bad decision. It's not as if those students couldn't go elsewhere if they don't like the restriction, and I utterly fail to see how it prevents Trinity Western's students from being good lawyers.  The idea that we have to force people to be universally tolerant is one of the more intolerant ideas I have come across.  Now if one could actually show how TW's policy negatively impacts its students, I'd be supportive of the action against the school, but so far no one has.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies