Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:30:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 64
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins  (Read 159474 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2014, 10:33:43 PM »

NS Finance Minister is finally going to get her February holiday. She introduced it every year for several years in a row, and she's finally getting it in the spring session Cheesy
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2014, 11:23:06 PM »

So, are the Liberals governing to the left of the NDP?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2014, 06:51:47 AM »

So, are the Liberals governing to the left of the NDP?

Eh. The only major thing they've done is announce they won't be cutting the HST. I'm not sure whether that's left or right.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2014, 04:27:03 PM »

Trudeau got ensnared on expenses.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2014, 04:38:02 PM »

So I did a tax return for someone from Ontario today.

You know that big bad "tax the rich" rate for earners >$500 000? NS has higher rates starting at $30 000 Angry
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2014, 04:40:44 PM »

So I did a tax return for someone from Ontario today.

You know that big bad "tax the rich" rate for earners >$500 000? NS has higher rates starting at $30 000 Angry

Tax reform probably isn't on McNeil's agenda, alas.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2014, 09:31:18 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2014, 05:06:55 PM by RogueBeaver »

PLQ is finally taking a coherent position on the charter and enforcing proper caucus discipline, but perhaps too late. Leger has the PQ ahead 36/33/17 and nosing into majority territory at the magic 43% of Francophones. 69% of Francophones support the charter, 74% of non-Francos oppose.

Pierre Paquette will run against Legault in L'Assomption - in an election which the PQ president sees as inevitable, regardless of who provokes it. Does Marois pull the trigger if turkeys don't vote for Xmas?

LPC nomination in Ville-Marie between a Trudeau BFF and a Chretien endorsee.

Analysis of the poll from Josee Legault, plus full results. Grenier estimates a 70/47 seat split. Young voters are still anti-Charter.

Tip: Find Legault's article through Twitter to skip the paywall. Works for most JDM articles.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2014, 07:15:28 PM »

PLQ has been completely useless and pathetic on the charter, as even their staunchest supporters admit. Now Couillard loses a previously unknown backbencher (Fatima Houda-Pepin) he should've booted eons ago, instead of being pushed around. Even Dion and Iggy didn't get pushed around by random backbenchers.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2014, 08:03:12 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2014, 08:29:20 PM by MaxQue »

A sad day for moderate Muslims in Quebec, they get bullied because the Liberals need the vote of the extremist ones. Truly disgusting from them (and I'm a Charte opponent, but that lady left her country to flee exactly the one thing which causd her being expelled).

EDIT: To clarify, nothing about Houda-Pépin would have ended in news without the "tchador incident", and I do not believe it was an accident. Fundamentalist Muslims are trying to get rid of her since decades, since she is a "bad example" to Muslim women and they used that to get rid of her. Liberals had no choice but to follow to not lose votes and especially money (Liberal's funraising is quite bad).

It's a victory for (Muslim) fundamentalism. Passage of the current PQ Charte would be a victory for Catholic fundamentalism, too. Everyone would have been better without that silly and disgusting debate.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »

Huh? Couillard got mired in what he himself admitted was a purely hypothetical question. To the point, they should've had a position months ago and once agreed upon, in or out. I don't see where supposed Catholic fundamentalism enters into the picture. Not when Muslim and occasionally Sikh or Hasidic garb has been the focus for eons. We do wholeheartedly agree on the Charte being disgusting and silly.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »

Huh? Couillard got mired in what he himself admitted was a purely hypothetical question. To the point, they should've had a position months ago and once agreed upon, in or out. I don't see where supposed Catholic fundamentalism enters into the picture. Not when Muslim and occasionally Sikh or Hasidic garb has been the focus for eons. We do wholeheartedly agree on the Charte being disgusting and silly.

Catholics (and Christians in general) don't wear "ostensible religious signs". The Charte is obviously targeting the other religions (it's pretty obvious when you see than they want to keep the cross in the Assembly, which is very visible and obvious). The goal is to cater to the people in rural Quebec rambling about "turban people wanting to take over and impose their religion" (those rural nuts sadly exist and are often Catholic fundamentalists).

The Mulism fundamentalists wanted to get rid of Houda-Pepin for so long than I cannot believe they are not behind it, even indirectly.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2014, 09:13:57 PM »

Totally agreed, misunderstood - thought you were implying Catholic fundamentalism was the Charte target, rather than part of its target audience. At any rate, Marois now has the "can't govern yourselves, can't govern the province" to add to her talking points. Extremely ironic for her particularly and the PQ generally, needless to say.

What do you think the odds are for a March election? After getting burned last November I won't believe it unless there's a dissolution.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2014, 09:26:59 PM »

I do not think than government will fall over the budget. Marois wants the election to be about the Charte. I suppose she is planning than CAQ and Liberals will vote against once than it reach the Assembly after the freakshow of the parlimentary committee. She wants the Charte to fail to use it to into an election.

So, March, I suppose? I do not know how the parliamentary schedule is made in Quebec and which speed government will use on Charte progress into the procedure.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »

The current speculation is that she'll dissolve the Assnat in 3 weeks' time.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2014, 09:47:55 PM »

The current speculation is that she'll dissolve the Assnat in 3 weeks' time.

It's the first time I heard about it, but, who knows? Polls are favorable, now, she may want to go now, especially with Couillard being weak and totally absent from the public debate.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2014, 08:03:32 AM »

An election during the Olympics? F**king Marois.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2014, 05:54:33 PM »

Hudak fired his Essex candidate for refusing to recant his anti-RTW Tweets. PLQ should take note of how you deal with public insubordination on party policy. Meanwhile the unions are in a lovely catfight about who's leading the anti-PC fight in Ontario.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2014, 06:02:49 PM »

Hudak fired his Essex candidate for refusing to recant his anti-RTW Tweets. PLQ should take note of how you deal with public insubordination on party policy. Meanwhile the unions are in a lovely catfight about who's leading the anti-PC fight in Ontario.

No, they shouldn't. We want party leaders, not dictators.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2014, 06:29:57 PM »

More Ford videos, which Ford has confirmed are authentic.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2014, 08:11:58 PM »

Whoa: Dunderdale's resigning, Tom Marshall will be interim premier. Guess she didn't want to go down with what looks like a imploding guv. To think I thought Williams had set them up for dynasty...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2014, 08:14:20 PM »

Something to do with yesterday's floor crossing? Too bad Williams left...

Also, I'm not surprised that Ivison had this scoop.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2014, 08:26:41 PM »

Whoa: Dunderdale's resigning, Tom Marshall will be interim premier. Guess she didn't want to go down with what looks like a imploding guv. To think I thought Williams had set them up for dynasty...

Wierd. Usually, they announce they'll resign once they have a replacement, not an interim premier (ad CBC is telling than Marshall already announced he would retire in 2015). Three premiers from the same party in 2014?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2014, 08:29:08 PM »

Why have Dunderdale and the PCs become so toxic in not that long a period of time?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2014, 08:30:15 PM »

Not a good time for the NL NDP, they're in shambles at the moment.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

Yeah. VOCM says a new election will have to be held this year, which is why I created an election thread in Hash's board. The PC leadership election will be held in April. It nearly happened when Williams retired but Dunderdale decided to stay on. Remember he was publicly distancing himself from her just months into the transition? Closest thing I can think of to the 3 premiers thing is the BC NDP, but that was over a longer period.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies