Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:12:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 64
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins  (Read 159504 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2014, 11:19:56 AM »

Anders is objectively a disgusting and repulsive waste of oxygen (who should probably have been removed from the Tory caucus if they had any sense of decency). Basically anything would be preferable to him.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2014, 07:14:10 PM »

I know the Ontario Tories have had sitting MPPs get primaried. I know Norm Sterling was primaried by a tea bagger in the last election.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »

I know the Ontario Tories have had sitting MPPs get primaried. I know Norm Sterling was primaried by a tea bagger in the last election.

No, he may have gotten primaried by a more conservative candidate, but no true Canadian, no true Empire Loyalist would consider himself a tea bagger.  Never forget that the Boston Tea Party was done by a bunch of radical rebel scum, not by conservatives.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2014, 07:58:06 PM »

Buckley Rule for me. A degree of turnover is healthy IMO.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2014, 08:07:38 PM »

No, he may have gotten primaried by a more conservative candidate, but no true Canadian, no true Empire Loyalist would consider himself a tea bagger.  Never forget that the Boston Tea Party was done by a bunch of radical rebel scum, not by conservatives.

Libertarianish suburban/rural politicians are often referred to as Tea Partiers up here. People affiliated with the Ontario Landowners Union are considered as such.  Another example is a certain mayor of a large metropolis in this country.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »

Maybe by orange and red avatars. Wink
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2014, 08:53:52 PM »

Libertarianish suburban/rural politicians are often referred to as Tea Partiers up here. People affiliated with the Ontario Landowners Union are considered as such.  Another example is a certain mayor of a large metropolis in this country.

Then you Canadians are idiots ignorant of history. Wink  (Or perhaps you're on your way to being assimilated into the United States.  BWAHAHAHA!)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »

Yes, and I doubt actual Tea Partiers would approve of our loyalty to the Crown.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2014, 10:53:17 AM »

Our new ambassador to Israel will be announced today.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2014, 04:35:52 PM »

You're not exactly the Canadian tea bagger type. You're very socially conservative, and economically moderate. Canadian tea baggers are the opposite. Socially moderate, economically very right wing.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2014, 09:58:14 PM »

Looks like Kenney may get a Jobs Grant deal after all.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2014, 11:12:05 PM »

You're not exactly the Canadian tea bagger type. You're very socially conservative, and economically moderate. Canadian tea baggers are the opposite. Socially moderate, economically very right wing.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to suggest I was a Tea Partier...

Yeah I take that comment back. Now that I think back, most of the libertarianish people I know in CPC oppose the monarchy.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2014, 08:49:16 AM »

Hebert thinks the BQ can disappear quite soon. One can only hope, though I'll believe that when it happens.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2014, 09:40:14 PM »

I forget whether this has been discussed here, but: what is the status of Ontario provincial redistribution? Is there legislation addressing the question whether a provincial election after the passage of the federal representation order would be held with the new federal boundaries?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2014, 09:45:26 PM »

I forget whether this has been discussed here, but: what is the status of Ontario provincial redistribution? Is there legislation addressing the question whether a provincial election after the passage of the federal representation order would be held with the new federal boundaries?

Not that I know of; it will probably be addressed after the next election.

I am hoping for a complete overhaul, including adding new ridings (20-40 more, at least), but that is rather unlikely.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2014, 09:47:13 PM »

Another idea is to equalize Northern Ontario's ridings, but create a sub-provincial parliament (a devolved legislature if you will) for the region, like Scotland.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2014, 10:53:53 PM »

Hmm. That will make for some seriously imbalanced ridings, if an election is still to be contested with the old map.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2014, 07:53:20 AM »

Hmm. That will make for some seriously imbalanced ridings, if an election is still to be contested with the old map.

Yep, but an election could happen this Spring.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2014, 10:52:54 AM »

G&M on Mulcair's strategy and La Presse on Trudeau's Montreal recruitment. Unsurprisingly, La Presse doesn't note the lack of regional recruitment, which is where the Orange-Red battle will be fought. Because narrative forming.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2014, 01:26:55 PM »

G&M on Mulcair's strategy and La Presse on Trudeau's Montreal recruitment. Unsurprisingly, La Presse doesn't note the lack of regional recruitment, which is where the Orange-Red battle will be fought. Because narrative forming.

Liberal regional recruitment should be good, they managed to get a good candidate in my riding last time (through, they seemed to really bother, put up an office and hoped to win on a 4-way race).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »

I do wonder who said recruits will be. Meanwhile here's the other take on Mulcair: not getting traction outside the Hillverse.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2014, 03:12:51 PM »

Bloc new leader will be announced on May 25, except if there is a provincial election this spring.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »

Here's the link. Also, Hebert thinks the BQ could disappear. I won't believe that unless it actually happens.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2014, 04:14:33 PM »

Here's the link. Also, Hebert thinks the BQ could disappear. I won't believe that unless it actually happens.

I personally think than if they fail to improve on their 2011 result at next election, the question will be openly asked, as those heavy defeats are hurting the independance movement.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »

Agreed. I guess their voters would scatter to the winds, with a majority probably going to you guys. Softer core ones to the Grits and the righties to us.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies