Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:02:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 64
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins  (Read 159480 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 01:47:08 PM »

Unsurprisingly, Trudeau wins the beer test. Except in Quebec, where Mulcair does.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »

Trudeau because I want to ask him if it was awkward running against someone his Dad used to bang.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 04:08:20 PM »

Trudeau because I want to ask him if it was awkward running against someone his Dad used to bang.

I doubt it was awkward, considering how many ladies PET messed with.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »

I really don't understand the people who would still vote for Ford.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 04:22:10 PM »

Wrong thread now, but they're his hardcore tribalists.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 04:22:40 PM »

This is a good analysis: http://torontoist.com/2014/01/the-teflon-mayor-reading-rob-fords-poll-numbers/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 04:25:09 PM »

Of note, Ford supporters tend to be lower educated, often lower income, non-white (non WASP, especially; Ford is a Catholic), suburban, car drivers.  Basically the kind of people who think they're on the "outside" of power.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »

Far more depressing news: *at least* 4000 kids died in the residential school system. Not till '96 were the last of them shuttered.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 05:29:13 PM »

Considering that the council has effectively neutered the mayor's office, I'd be willing to vote for Ford either for the lols or simply as a protest.  That isn't to say I would vote for Ford.  I don't know if there would be a candidate I could support in eir own right.  Even if there be no such candidate, I don't know if I'd want to protest the Third York City Council. Nor do I know if I'd think Ford would be the best person to tweak the council with.  On the other hand, if I were a Canadian comedian, I'd absolutely vote for Ford.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 06:01:35 PM »

Considering that the council has effectively neutered the mayor's office, I'd be willing to vote for Ford either for the lols or simply as a protest.  That isn't to say I would vote for Ford.  I don't know if there would be a candidate I could support in eir own right.  Even if there be no such candidate, I don't know if I'd want to protest the Third York City Council. Nor do I know if I'd think Ford would be the best person to tweak the council with.  On the other hand, if I were a Canadian comedian, I'd absolutely vote for Ford.

Hey now, you should definitely vote for your economic best interests Cheesy
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »

Most successful Canadian comedians go south in their "economic best interests" and thus wouldn't be eligible to vote.

I don't think very many Toronto comedians are voting for Ford. Do you honestly think Rick Mercer is a member of Ford Nation?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »

I wish I knew more Toronto comedians but I don't. I sometimes go to comedy clubs downtown and Ford comes up a bit, but it's never really Torontonian comedians performing so...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »

Thank God: Sea Kings will be retired starting next year.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 11:45:35 PM »

Coutts obituary.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2014, 09:53:12 AM »

OPCs should focus on the economy, since White Papers can only take flight with a majority. Almost like some moderates there forget what happened 2 years ago when they backflipped and ran as McGuinty-lite.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2014, 11:47:45 AM by You kip if you want to... »

I feel like he'd spend the whole time talking about himself. Eugh.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2014, 11:30:40 AM »

I'm curious. Where does everyone stand on Michael Chong's bill?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2014, 11:38:20 AM »

Staunchly oppose. My hope is that Harper and Poilievre kill it with a smile, have a debate but then send it off to committee oblivion.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »

Dippers raised 800k last Q. Is there something I'm missing? On QP Flaherty insisted, without prompting, that he's running in 2015 and so will Harper. Though for obvious reasons Flaherty could hardly say otherwise about his own prospects. Needless to say Clement would be his replacement were he to leave. Mulcair talked as usual about hiking corporate taxes and energy policy, Trudeau was Jell-O but did talk about the usual infrastructure/health/education Grit stuff to do with the surplus. Scoop from Ivison: apparently Kenney threatened to quit Cabinet over his new portfolio (which he doesn't like) because he feels he's been set up to fail without more money allocated in the budget. Probably an underlying cause of his feud with Flaherty.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2014, 02:07:36 PM »

Staunchly oppose. My hope is that Harper and Poilievre kill it with a smile, have a debate but then send it off to committee oblivion.

Somewhat oppose. The political junkie in me likes it, but the person who wants stable government does not Tongue

Dippers raised 800k last Q. Is there something I'm missing? On QP Flaherty insisted, without prompting, that he's running in 2015 and so will Harper. Though for obvious reasons Flaherty could hardly say otherwise about his own prospects. Needless to say Clement would be his replacement were he to leave. Mulcair talked as usual about hiking corporate taxes and energy policy, Trudeau was Jell-O but did talk about the usual infrastructure/health/education Grit stuff to do with the surplus. Scoop from Ivison: apparently Kenney threatened to quit Cabinet over his new portfolio (which he doesn't like) because he feels he's been set up to fail without more money allocated in the budget. Probably an underlying cause of his feud with Flaherty.

I imagine he's pissed because it puts him in a slightly worse leadership position as well. Immigration gives him the ability to keep all those immigrant Tories in Vancouver/GTA in his camp.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »

Increasing doubts among Tory insiders about whether Flaherty's health will let him hang on till the election. Unless there's a fairly sharp deterioration my guess is that he does, and I won't believe he retires unless it happens. His feud with Kenney started in '09, when Kenney interfered in Ontarian politics by endorsing Hudak for OPC leader alongside the other high-profile Ontarians like Baird, Clement and Poilievre. Flaherty was supposed to corral his caucus colleagues for his wife.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »

There was a security breach at Harper's Vancouver speech today. Also, Michaud (long time no hear!) thinks the BQ should disappear. For once I agree with him. Meanwhile there's the perennial Red challenge to Anders which will flop as usual.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »

Anders needs to go. It's theoretically possible. After all, Nenshi won the area in the Fall.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2014, 08:33:42 PM »

Agreed, but I'd prefer a bleu there. Won't restate my views on non-Edmontonian rouges. Tongue So I'd abstain from voting were I a resident in that riding.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 11:08:20 AM »

Manitoba PC's have a 22 point lead. Would result in a landslide win. NDP are on their way out regardless but I imagine the Liberal resurgence is going to exacerbate the loss.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies