Ronnie Musgrove
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:01:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ronnie Musgrove
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ronnie Musgrove  (Read 2332 times)
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2005, 02:53:49 PM »

What happened to him?  The former Mississippi governor was kicked out a couple years ago.  Why was that?  Was it because Barbour was so popular in MS or what?  Do you think that he could make a comeback?  Senator of MS if Lott retires?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 03:52:46 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2005, 08:38:57 PM by Frodo »

good questions, and sorry i can't answer them -i have similar questions with regard to Don Siegelman of Alabama, Roy Barnes of Georgia, and Jim Hodges of South Carolina -former Democratic governors of Deep South states all. 

i suggest asking Harry.  he should know.   
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 06:26:56 PM »

Did they all lose re-elections or retire?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 07:21:49 PM »

Did they all lose re-elections or retire?

yes, all of them lost to Republican opponents in 2002 and 2003: Ronnie Musgrove lost to Haley Barbour (2003),  Don Siegelman lost to Bob Riley, Roy Barnes lost to Sonny Perdue, and Jim Hodges lost to Mark Sanford (the last three in 2002). 
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 07:32:01 PM »

Musgrove was too liberal (for Mississippi), and Barbour had the Confederate flag issue.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 08:26:45 PM »

speaking of Deep South governors, does anyone know who was the Republican governor of Louisiana who retired in 2002?  when did he first win the governor's mansion in that state, and what Democrat did he take it from? i can't remember.   
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 08:35:34 PM »

speaking of Deep South governors, does anyone know who was the Republican governor of Louisiana who retired in 2002? 

Mike Foster.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 09:35:50 PM »

Musgrove ran one of the nastiest campaigns I have ever seen.  He virtually claimed that Barbour wanted to kill your children (no joke).

Living in Memphis at the time, we were subjected to non stop campaign ads, since the Memphis market reaches north Mississippi.  Musgroves ads probably turned more Democrat voters into Barbour voters then anything that Barbour campaigned on.

The flag issue was separate from the Governor's race, unlike the case in GA.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 10:27:20 AM »

Musgrove was too liberal (for Mississippi), and Barbour had the Confederate flag issue.

It makes me sick when the party of Abe Lincoln plays the Confederate flag issue to their advantage

Dave
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 10:42:46 AM »

Interesting fact: the last Deep South Governer to get re-elected was Foster (LA) in 1999... currently there's only one Democratic governer in the Deep South (LA), before the 2002 elections there was only one Republican Governer in the Deep South (LA) and before the 1998 elections there was only one Democratic governer in the Deep South (GA)...

Not exactly an incumbent friendly place at the moment...
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 01:21:24 PM »

Interesting fact: the last Deep South Governer to get re-elected was Foster (LA) in 1999... currently there's only one Democratic governer in the Deep South (LA), before the 2002 elections there was only one Republican Governer in the Deep South (LA) and before the 1998 elections there was only one Democratic governer in the Deep South (GA)...

Well, the fact that a lot of these places have term limits exacerbates the problem.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 02:52:04 PM »

good questions, and sorry i can't answer them -i have similar questions with regard to Don Siegelman of Alabama, Roy Barnes of Georgia, and Jim Hodges of South Carolina -former Democratic governors of Deep South states all. 

i suggest asking Harry.  he should know.   

After I wrote this post, I was going to make another post about Siegelman, but then decided against it.  You think he could run for Senate in '08 (Shelby's seat, I think...)
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 10:52:18 PM »

The flag is a total non-issue until the NAACP, ACLU, et al start telling you that they are going to try to get the rest of the country to boycott your state.  People tend to get a little   pissed off by such fascist tactics, and respond by keeping the symbol that pisses the fascists off.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 11:10:50 AM »

The flag is a total non-issue until the NAACP, ACLU, et al start telling you that they are going to try to get the rest of the country to boycott your state.  People tend to get a little   pissed off by such fascist tactics, and respond by keeping the symbol that pisses the fascists off.

Do you know? Ideologically, I'm  center-left and I don't have a problem with the Confederate flag at all - but both me, and my mother, can't stomach it when the GOP use it for their political ends

I don't really think anyone should play politics with the Confederate flag. It's a remimder of southern traditions. It symbolishes two societies of old: the positive paternalistic society and the negative segrgated society

Dave
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 12:50:44 PM »

Do you know? Ideologically, I'm  center-left and I don't have a problem with the Confederate flag at all - but both me, and my mother, can't stomach it when the GOP use it for their political ends

I don't really think anyone should play politics with the Confederate flag. It's a remimder of southern traditions. It symbolishes two societies of old: the positive paternalistic society and the negative segrgated society

Dave

Paternalism is not positive.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 09:52:12 PM »

I have no problem with the Confederate flag as a symbol of the old South or of some kind of heritage, or anything of that kind--though it seems pretty silly to cling to such things.  However, when the national NAACP (not just the state chapter) promises to boycott your state and threaten your livelyhood, it tends to anger people more than scare them.  Also, people like John Stewart ragging you on television to vote for the 'compromise' flag tends to entrench people rather than convince them.

Had MS proposed a decent looking flag that symbolized something, anything, withnout denegrating those who were content with the flag they currently had, the issue may have passed.

As for the GOP's involvement in the flag issues, it must be remembered that both SC's decision to fly the battle flag  over their State House, and GA's decision to place the battle  flag within the state flag, were done so under Democrat governors and Democrat state legislatures.

The only thing that the GOP hasa officially said about the issue is that it should be left up to the voters of the respective states to decide the issue. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 10:53:55 AM »

Well Musgrove had a really good record as governor with raising teacher pay, bringing in the Nissan plant, etc., but decided for some really stupid reason to attack Barbour in his ads rather than run on his record.  His ads were really annoying (Haley Barbour is poisoning your kids).  Also, Barbour hid behind the state flag and said Musgrove wanted to take it away.
Also it didn't help that Barbara Blackmon was running for lt. governor as a Democrat and did some pretty crazy stuff, like trying to get Lt. Gov. Amy Tuck to sign an affidavit that she'd never had an abortion, and saying that Jesus would make sure that she'd win.  Association with her also hurt Musgrove.
And, it's just hard to a Democrat to win in Mississippi.  Musgrove's win over Mike Parker in 1999 was an impressive upset, and it would be quite a feat to do it again.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 11:27:40 AM »

And it looks like Riley, Blanco, and Perdue are going to receive very serious challenges in 2006.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies