Mfume announces U.S. Senate bid.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:03:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mfume announces U.S. Senate bid.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mfume announces U.S. Senate bid.  (Read 3426 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2005, 01:23:46 PM »

Kweisi Mfume, a former Maryland congressman and national NAACP president, today became the first Democrat to make official his bid to succeed Sen. Paul S. Sarbanes (D-Maryland).

"My goal is to give a new voice to the issues that affect every-day working men and working women and the families that they are a part of," Mfume said during a late morning press conference in a lounge at Camden Yards, where he was joined by five of his six sons.

Sarbanes's announcement set off jockeying among would-be successors, with every Democrat in the Maryland congressional delegation but one, Rep. Steny Hoyer, signaling Friday that they would take a look at the race.

Speculation about Republican candidates has focused on Lt. Gov Michael S. Steele and and state Sen E.J. Pipkin (R-Queen Anne's), who ran for the Senate unsuccessfully last year against Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Maryland). "I hope that this early start says to people that I'm very serious about this," Mfume said.

He said his campaign would focus on "overcrowded and ill-equipped schools," health-care costs and disparities and fighting "low expectations" for some youths.

Mfume, a Baltimore native, was elected to serve Maryland's 7th congressional distict in 1986. His decade in the U.S. House of Representatives included a stint as chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus.

He became president and chief executive officer of the NAACP in February 1996 and retired from that post at the end of last year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/w-dyn/articles/A33725-2005Mar14.html
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 02:17:54 PM »

Here's some more on this race from today's Hotline:

MARYLAND: Sarbanes Snowball Could Produce Dem Avalanche

Sen. Paul Sarbanes (D), "the low-key liberal," announced 3/11 that he would not seek re-election -- "a declaration that jolts local politics and sets up a scramble" for MD's first open SEN seat since '86. 5 of the 6 Dem Reps said "that they are seriously considering running for the seat," while Mfume "issued a statement that praised Sarbanes but sidestepped his own plans. His spokeswoman said he would have more to say" today. GOV candidates Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley (D) and Montgomery Co. Exec. Doug Duncan (D) said 3/11 "that they have no interest in seeking Sarbanes' seat" (Siegel/Rosen, Baltimore Sun, 3/12). House Min. Whip Steny Hoyer (D-05) "is not considering a run."
      As of 12/31/04, Van Hollen had $471K CoH, Wynn $274K, Cardin $176K, Ruppersberger $118K, Mfume $98K, and Cummings $72K. Ruppersberger "said he expects to open" an exploratory cmte" this week "and begin showcasing his experience" as ex-Baltimore Co. Exec. and with nat'l security issues in Congress. Ruppersberger: "We're all saying the same thing. To be honest, this took us all by surprise, and I think the dominoes are going to have to fall. But when a position like United States senator comes available and you're a member of Congress, I think you have to look at it very seriously."
      Wynn: "I expect it will probably be a strong field. We've got a lot of qualified candidates. That's normal, and that's healthy." Cardin: "Many people have urged me to run for Senator Sarbanes' seat... I am seriously considering such a run, and I will be meeting with my family and political supporters in the next few weeks to make a decision..." Cummings: "I really don't see any front-runner. If anybody thinks they are, they're thinking quite prematurely. ... I think that as time goes on -- and it may take a year or so for the true field to be obvious and clear -- but I think you'll eventually have three or four strong people emerging to run for that seat."
      "Sarbanes, 72, has been part of a venerable old guard," which includes 83-year-old Comp. William Donald Schaefer (D) and 73-year-old AG Joe Curran (D). "The powerful trio has blocked the upward movement of prospective leaders for decades." Wynn predicted a large number of African-American candidates "up and down the line" on the '06 ballot, especially if Sarbanes' exit also causes Schaefer and Curran to re-examine their futures (Nitkin/Shaw, Baltimore Sun, 3/12). Ivey, "who is also seen as a leading contender for Wynn's seat if Wynn runs," said 3/11 it was too premature to talk about his political plans.
      "There would be no clear frontrunner in a wide-open Senate primary, and issues of race, geography, ideology and fundraising ability could prove decisive. Cummings, Ivey, Mfume and Wynn are all black;" the other potential Dems are white. Ivey, Van Hollen and Wynn have bases in the DC suburbs, "while the others are strong in the Baltimore region." Most of the Dems "are reliable liberals, with Ruppersberger the closest to the center" (Kurtz, Roll Call, 3/14).

Mfume First Out Of The Box
      Mfume, at Baltimore's Camden Yards baseball stadium today: "It is with great pride and deep humility that I announce to you today my candidacy for the Senate of the United States" (Parker, AP, 3/14).

Ehrlich/Steele Get GOP Right Of First Refusal
      "Political observers have speculated" that Gov. Ehrlich "might consider getting in the race -- although he has never expressed interest in anything other than re-election." Beyond him and Steele, "there are few GOP members with statewide potential." Neither Ehrlich nor Steele would respond 3/11 "to questions about whether they are considering a run. MD GOP chair John Kane said that "every Republican in the state" is going to look at the seat, and did not rule out Gov. Ehrlich's interest. "Kane said he himself would not be running" (Nitkin/Shaw, Baltimore Sun, 3/12).
      Ehrlich said 3/12 running for SEN was "not under consideration," but he did not rule out the prospect. Ehrlich: "We were called by the powers that be yesterday [3/12] in Washington, and I have yet to talk to them. Mike has yet to talk to them. ... Obviously, when powerful people in Washington call, you take their phone call and you discuss. You listen, basically. But I have a job to do here. I was elected to do a job. I love my job."
      "Ehrlich did not specify who had called him," but RNC chair Ken Mehlman "is a Pikesville native who has said re-electing the governor is one of his top priorities. Ehrlich has developed a relationship with President Bush, vacationing at Camp David and appearing with him at media events." And Dep. WH CoS Karl Rove advised Ehrlich during the '02 campaign. GOP consultant Carol Hirschburg: "There's no doubt that he would be the strongest candidate for the Republicans. I also know that at one time being a U.S. senator was a goal of his. However, I can think of a lot of good reasons why he should not run for the Senate. It's going to take two terms to turn around state government and do the things he wants to do. Republicans need for him to stay in the governorship to do the important party-building that he started and needs to continue."
      Ehrlich indicated 3/12 "that most of the attention for the open seat should be trained on Steele, not him." Steele "has seen his profile rise dramatically" in nat'l GOP circles, "where he is, arguably, the GOP's most prominent African-American elected official in the nation." His "anti-abortion and anti-death penalty views, however, could make a statewide race challenging." Ehrlich: "He's complimented; I'm complimented; the administration is complimented that his name would be so prominent as a potential replacement" (Nitkin, Baltimore Sun, 3/13).
      Kane said 3/11 that Steele prefers to seek re-election, with an eye toward running for GOV in '10. Rep. Wayne Gilchrest (R-01) "has also taken himself out of consideration" (Roll Call, 3/14). Pipkin: "We'll look at the political landscape (after the leg. session ends 4/05). ... But it would be foolish not to consider it" (Habte, DC Examiner, 3/14).
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »

Mfume will likely lose.
NHPolitico

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 03:31:57 PM »

More on the race...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Kendel is interesting. She's got a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice and a minor in Political Science, went to the U of Baltimore for her law degree, was a  felony trial lawyer with the Public Defender's Office in Annapolis, Maryland, then counsel to Youth Services International in Owings Mills, and then prosecutor in district and juvenile court in Harford County, Maryland. She also seems to be a cheerful and likeable first lady.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 04:00:41 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2005, 06:32:04 PM by nickshepDEM »

On the Democratic side:

Rep. Albert Wynn is out.

"Wynn, however, said today that he was dropping any such plan, in favor of Mfume."

On the GOP side:

Kendell Ehrlich may run, but I think she is a rather weak candidate.  One things for sure, we cannot underestimate her and run a BS campaign and BS candidate or she could pull it off.

E.J. Pipkin, I think hes an ok person, but get for real E.J.

Morella could'nt even hold her own congressional seat.  How's she gonna' win statewide?

Bentley is way too old.

Steele and Ehrlich need each other.

I still say Gilchrest would be the best shot for the GOP, but I have yet to hear him say he is even considering a run.

Cal Ripken Jr.  WINNER... 
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 04:55:21 PM »

On the Democratic side:

Rep. Albert Wynn is out.

"Wynn, however, said today that he was dropping any such plan, in favor of Mfume."

On the GOP side:

Kendell Ehrlich may run, but I think she is a rather weak candidate.

Morella could'nt even hold her own congressional seat.  How's she gonna' win state wide?

Bentley is way too old.

I still say Gilchrest would be the best shot for the GOP, but I have yet to hear him say he is even considering a run.

Is Cal a Democrat or Republican?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 04:56:21 PM »

On the Democratic side:

Rep. Albert Wynn is out.

On the GOP side:

Kendell Ehrlich may run, but I think she is a rather weak candidate.

Morella could'nt even hold her own congressional seat.  How's she gonna' win state wide?

Bentley is way too old.

Is Cal a Democrat or Republican?

Republican according to nickshepdem.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 05:05:13 PM »

Actually, I dont know if he is a Democrat or Republican.  Back in 2002 he wasnt even registered to vote.  He's a friend of George W. Bush.  Maybe Bush can talk him into running as a Republican.
Cashcow

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 05:14:37 PM »

Oh man... it would be hilarious if he won.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 05:40:09 PM »

Cal Ripken would probably run as a Republican, but he isn't a strong partisan for either side.  His father was active in local Republican party politics, but his mother was a Democrat, and he has spoken about being torn between the two of them.  But there's no way he runs, anyway.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 08:25:32 PM »

You know what this means? Arnold/Cal in 2012!
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 09:44:32 PM »

Morella could'nt even hold her own congressional seat.  How's she gonna' win statewide?

Now that I think about it, Morella would be a strong general election candidate, but I dont see her winning the Republican primary.  She would be strong in the general because she could probably pull 45% of the vote in Montgomery County and cripple the Democrat's lock on one of the "Big 3".  The Democrat would have to do outstanding in the rest of the state to even have a chance.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 02:51:47 PM »

i hope kendell ehrlich runs.

a well spoken, attractive woman against a radical flamethrower. 

mfume would get slaughtered.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 03:29:41 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2005, 03:40:23 PM by nickshepDEM »

i hope kendell ehrlich runs.

a well spoken, attractive woman against a radical flamethrower. 

mfume would get slaughtered.

Shes a decent candidate, but NO formidable Democrat will pull less than 47-48% of the vote so its impossible to "get slaughtered".  Plus, Kendell has ZERO political experience.  The only Democrat in the running that she has a chance against is Mfume.

If she does decide to run she quite possiblly could ride right into the U.S. Senate on her hubby's coatails.  If Bob Ehrlich does well throughout the campaign and goes on to win, Kendell has a good shot of winning too.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 04:10:17 PM »

Kendel Ehrlich, running at the same time as her husband, wouldn't stand a chance.   People would see it as nepotism, and swing voters simple wouldn't stomach voting for both Ehrlichs at the same time.  Anyone remember when Janet Huckabee ran for Arkansas Sec. of State?  Kendel would have a much better chance waiting until her husband wasn't on the ballot anymore, like Hillary and Elizabeth Dole.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 04:19:42 PM »

If Morella runs, would there be a more conservative alternative running as an independent? The two CD's that elect Republicans are VERY conservative, and would certainly not vote for a R.I.N.O. in the primary, and possibly not in the general election.

Plus, she isn't that famous around the state, she would have to campaign. She is not very charismatic, being over 70.

Maryland may be a liberal state, but the Republicans here are true conservatives.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 04:44:50 PM »

If Morella runs, would there be a more conservative alternative running as an independent? The two CD's that elect Republicans are VERY conservative, and would certainly not vote for a R.I.N.O. in the primary, and possibly not in the general election.

Plus, she isn't that famous around the state, she would have to campaign. She is not very charismatic, being over 70.

Maryland may be a liberal state, but the Republicans here are true conservatives.

Morella would be tough to beat in the general because she could pull 45% in Montgomery County.  But I cannot see her winning the Republican primary.  She is very moderate and wouldnt sit well with most conservatives in this state and throughout the country.

Bottom line, its going to take an awful lot for the Democrat to lose this race.  But we cannot get cocky and assume this thing is locked up before it even begins.  We need to start early, get involved, run good campaigns, and nominate solid candidates for the general elections.

Start by voting for and supporting Doug Duncan in the Democratic Primary for Governor.  Wink
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 05:12:23 PM »

Start by voting for and supporting Doug Duncan in the Democratic Primary for Governor.  Wink

Start by lowering the voting age Wink

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 05:57:08 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2005, 06:00:03 PM by nickshepDEM »

Never too young to volunteer and get involved.  Its gonna' be a fun, but rough year in Maryland politics.  The race for Governor is going to be brutal and Im guessing the Senate race will be just as nasty.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 06:08:58 PM »

Never too young to volunteer and get involved.  Its gonna' be a fun, but rough year in Maryland politics.  The race for Governor is going to be brutal and Im guessing the Senate race will be just as nasty.

I plan on doing what I can. The Governor's race will be worse, because both sides think they are going to win, and if one side gets down in the polls by the start of the fall, then very negative ads and leaks to the press will be frequent, more so than already is happening. Also, Ehrlich is just a nasty guy by nature, so it will spiral downhill quickly.

It could be worse, at least there's a competitive race this time.

If the Dems put up a half-sane Senatorial candidate, they've got that race, and the Republicans will focus on PA for Senate.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2005, 07:14:56 PM »

Is Mfume that sane candidate in your eyes?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2005, 07:19:21 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2005, 07:26:28 PM by nickshepDEM »

Is Mfume that sane candidate in your eyes?

Hell no.  And Im definitley not supporting him in the primary, but if he receives the nomiantion I will support him.

Any of the following can win this U.S. Seante seat over any of the possible Maryland GOP candidates.  (as long as they actually run a decent campaign.)

Rep. Steny Hoyer
Rep. Chris Van Hollen
Rep. Ben Cardin
Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger

One of those will be getting my support in the primary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies