Is anyone who voted against the Iraq war ever picked for a major party ticket?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is anyone who voted against the Iraq war ever picked for a major party ticket?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is anyone who voted against the Iraq war ever picked for a major party ticket?  (Read 2123 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2013, 08:35:21 PM »

So far 5 who voted for (Kerry, Edwards, Biden, McCain, and Ryan) have been nominated, plus Bush who signed it was renominated. Not a single person who voted against has been nominated. 
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »

But Obama said in 2002 to a rally of far left activists in his state legislative district "I'm not against all wars... I'm against dumb wars." That pretty much counts as a vote against it, right?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 09:06:07 PM »

But Obama said in 2002 to a rally of far left activists in his state legislative district "I'm not against all wars... I'm against dumb wars." That pretty much counts as a vote against it, right?

That's not the point of the question, and he wasn't in a position to actually vote on it and thus be held responsible for it, as even the Democrats were when they voted "Aye".
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »

That's not the point of the question, and he wasn't in a position to actually vote on it and thus be held responsible for it, as even the Democrats were when they voted "Aye".

Wait, are you actually trying to argue that voting and being held responsible for things isn't comparable to empty rhetoric...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »

I seriously thought that was an Oldiesfreak post until I noticed the name after being quoted. Wow.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 02:05:13 AM »

It's not a stretch to say if Obama were in the Senate at the time he would've voted the same way as Dick Durbin and a majority of Senate Democrats.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 02:10:59 AM »

It's not a stretch to say if Obama were in the Senate at the time he would've voted the same way as Dick Durbin and a majority of Senate Democrats.

Actually only 21 of the 50 Senate Democrats voted nay. Jeffords and Chaffee were the other two nays.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 02:16:44 AM »

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x3033516

Here's the list. The only people I could possibly see running here are Ron Wyden or maybe Russ Feingold. Other than that, I don't think we will ever have a president who voted against the war.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »

Actually only 21 of the 50 Senate Democrats voted nay. Jeffords and Chaffee were the other two nays.

Ah yes. I was thinking of the House.

Still point remains Obama voting with Durbin snd most Democratic state Democratic Senators isn't a huge stretch.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 12:30:24 AM »

Wonder how Rand Paul would have voted
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 09:03:19 PM »

Hmm. Interesting question. Odds aren't good.

You need someone who was in the Congress in 2002, and voted a particular way. That would include 21 Senate Democrats, and 126 House Democrats. There were a handful of Republicans, but I doubt that the two who are currently not elderly, Lincoln Chaffee or John Hostettler (lost reelection in 2006 and placed third in a 2010 Senate primary) will ever be candidates for national office.

The legislators from the Democratic party with the brightest futures tend not to have been in Congress at the time. Kirsten Gilibrand, Amy Klobuchar, Cory Booker, Mark Warner, Tim Kaine, Joaquin Castro, Michael Bennet, and Claire McCaskill are all plausible national candidates elected to Congress in the 2006 election or after.

National candidates have also been found in Governors Mansions, although the majority haven't come from the US Congress (former mayors like O'Malley and Hickenlooper, and prosecutors like Cuomo and Bullock are much more common.)

Odds are lower because the most likely Democratic candidate in 2016 is Hillary Clinton, and she voted for it. And I'd suspect she's more likely to pick a younger running mate, someone who was less likely to be in Congress fourteen years earlier.

If she loses, by the time the next election comes around, there will be an 18 year gap between the vote and the selection of national candidates. If she wins, the gap will be 22 years. So the odds will be increasingly unlikely.

There are a handful of semi-plausible candidates for national office who voted against the Iraq War including California Congressman Xavier Becerra, Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown and Washington Governor Jay Inslee. The 22 Senators who voted against it tend to be too old to be elected to national office in 2016, and in some cases too dead.

Democrats have also nominated candidates for national office who had been in Congress for a while. Joe Biden was in the seat 36 years. John Kerry had been a Senator for 20 years. Joe Lieberman had been a Senator for twelve. Gore had been in Congress for sixteen years when he became Veep, so his presidential nomination came about 24 years after he was elected to the House. Bentsen had been in the Senate for 18 years, although there was an additional 14 year gap between his shorter House tenure and his Senate career.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 07:42:32 PM »

I'm almost 100% sure that Obama would have voted "Yes" if he had been elected to the House in 2000.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 11:53:15 PM »

So Obama would've voted against the way the majority of the Democratic caucus in the House voted while representing one of the most Democratic districts in the country?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 03:26:48 PM »

So Obama would've voted against the way the majority of the Democratic caucus in the House voted while representing one of the most Democratic districts in the country?

If he still had national ambitions in this alternate universe, then he would probably vote the same way that Clinton, Kerry, Edwards, Gephardt, Lieberman, Ford, and Biden voted.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 09:15:33 AM »

Probably the same way as his father I suppose.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies