Utah is on track to end homelessness by 2015 by simply giving away apartments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:35:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Utah is on track to end homelessness by 2015 by simply giving away apartments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Utah is on track to end homelessness by 2015 by simply giving away apartments  (Read 6969 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »

What I think is notable about this policy is that the state is doing it.

So often the entire state's homeless population will congregate in the major city, and that major city is left to tackle a much larger region's homeless problem all by itself.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »

Why should Republicans be outraged about this policy? If it actually saves money and gives people a fighting chance, why not?

Yes, this is thing they don't like.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2013, 11:21:54 PM »

Why should Republicans be outraged about this policy? If it actually saves money and gives people a fighting chance, why not? Mind you, if I was working my ass off just to stay above the poverty line and live in an apartment much like the ones that these former-homeless people are staying in for free, I'd be pretty pissed off. What incentive would I have to work?

I guess on the surface it looks like the state is saving money, but if the policy encourages people to fall into homelessness to reap these benefits, it's another story. So actually, I'm kind of torn.

Well, you still have the incentive to get into a nicer home or apartment.  Hence, you are incentivized to find work, especially since you're getting a caseworker to help you.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2013, 08:13:19 PM »

Utah was settled largely by people from  the northeastern quadrant of the United States. The typical provenance of Mormons was New England > New York > Ohio/southern Michigan >  Iowa/Illinois/Nebraska  >  Utah/Idaho. There were Brits, some Scandinavians, and some Pennsylvanians. Mormons did not generally come from the Backwoods or the South. Contrast Nevada; Las Vegas was settled from the Backwoods and the American South.

In a topic called "Is Connecticut the Best State in which to Live?" I lauded Utah for getting Blue results in education, a low crime rate, and economic equity despite Republican dominance in politics and having no rich resource base. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2014, 04:26:10 AM »

Between this, public transit, same-sex marriage, a sane immigration policy, and various other reasons, there are some days where I feel like I'd be very, very happy in Utah.  And by "in Utah" I mean "in Salt Lake City" because not-Mormon.

Utah is just Minnesota with mountains.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2014, 05:23:21 AM »

Why should Republicans be outraged about this policy?

Because it shatters their myth that state intervention will invariably make the situation worse. If people are mad that the unemployed are being given phones to help them get a job (a program started under Reagan) then yes they'll be mad that the homeless are being given apartments.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2014, 11:26:25 AM »

Why should Republicans be outraged about this policy?

Well these days, it seems like Republican policy is driven more out of hate, not ideology. Ex: "Let them die!", booing a gay veteran at the debate, etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies