Jim Matheson retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:07:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Jim Matheson retiring
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Jim Matheson retiring  (Read 8088 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »

Wow. Guess the seat is now Love's for the taking. Question to Zioneer and other Utahns: was there any hint of this, and do you think Matheson is gearing up for a future statewide run? Not necessarily soon, he's only in his early 50s.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »

F**k you Matheson.

R+1. And unlike most of the time, this time there's no sense of jokiness towards it, it's just plain hard facts.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »

GOD DAMNIT
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »

I'm guessing one or more of: tired of being targeted, genuinely wants out of politics, future statewide run (not necessarily soon given he's only 53).
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 02:40:24 PM »

What a shame. He was a good guy.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 02:41:26 PM »

Statewide run for what?  The next Senate/gubernatorial elections aren't until 2016.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 02:49:48 PM »

Good riddance.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 03:01:14 PM »

Congrats to Mia Love.

I can't really blame him, I mean he's a target every cycle, but more than that he has to thread the needle so carefully with how he votes on things. 'Course that's less of a problem in the least productive Congress ever, but still. Part of him is probably tired of kicking his own party to stay alive. And I know part of me is tired of tolerating it. So it's probably best that he leaves gracefully and runs for statewide office after 2016.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »

I hope McIntyre doesn't get any ideas from this Sad
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »

This is the first real pickup opportunity Republicans are getting and it's R+14. Outside of the very few heavily Republican districts held by Democrats, there is nothing else out there for Republicans to gain.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 03:27:30 PM »

Wow. Guess the seat is now Love's for the taking. Question to Zioneer and other Utahns: was there any hint of this, and do you think Matheson is gearing up for a future statewide run? Not necessarily soon, he's only in his early 50s.

There was literally no hint of this; he was posting his plans for legislation as soon as this week, and didn't seem tired of Congress in any of his statements. This was completely out of left field.

As for a statewide run, yeah. I think he's going to go for Governor, as it's less likely for him to have to act as he did in Congress. He can be a bit more lefty/moderate and use his personal popularity rather than his votes. If he ran for Senate or continued in the House, he wouldn't be able to do that. If he doesn't run for either, a lobbyist career seems like an easy choice for him.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »

F**k you Matheson.

R+1. And unlike most of the time, this time there's no sense of jokiness towards it, it's just plain hard facts.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »

I can't begrudge him this, he kept a seat in Democratic hands that we had no business holding for over a decade.  Disappointing though Sad
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 03:36:30 PM »

And Mia Love will be elected: DEPRESSING!!!!!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »

Once less place where the DCCC will have to spend money. This retirement means that Democrats can play more offensive, which is a really good thing. Outside of the few very red districts held by Democrats, Republicans have no place to play offense. UT-4 will be one of their very few pickups, with NC-7 and GA-12 being the only other very strong possibilities.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »

Biggest surprise of the month. I literally did not see this coming. I guess this means Utah will soon have an all-republican delegation at the federal level.

As for future runs for office, I could see him possibly running for Governor in 2016, since he's "only" 53 at the moment, and he would be the only democrat with a remotely realistic chance of winning. Maybe he decided he wanted some time off from campaigning. Who knows?

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 04:02:04 PM »

GREAT NEWS! Hopefully Mia Love can add conservatism to the Congressional Black Caucus. Smiley
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »

Grin Smiley

Hahahaha. This has got to be a killer to democrats. R+1 for real! I never expected this and its a shock to me that he did this. But he was getting older. Mia Love next representative for UT-4?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 04:32:10 PM »

GREAT NEWS! Hopefully Mia Love can add conservatism to the Congressional Black Caucus. Smiley

Her intention was to join it so she can dismantle, so I'm pretty sure she won't be invited to join.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 04:34:04 PM »

Grin Smiley

Hahahaha. This has got to be a killer to democrats. R+1 for real! I never expected this and its a shock to me that he did this. But he was getting older. Mia Love next representative for UT-4?

Uhm, not really a killer, spending money to defend an R+14 is somewhat of a waste. That money will be freed up to target Republicans on shaky ground, so it's not without it's upside.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »

Grin Smiley

Uhm, not really a killer, spending money to defend an R+14 is somewhat of a waste. That money will be freed up to target Republicans on shaky ground, so it's not without it's upside.

On the other hand, the money Republicans were going to spend on Mia Love against Matheson can also be spent elsewhere, so it's a wash. Plus, Mia Love is now safe (unless a Matheson-esque candidate appears again), so she won't be required to raise a bunch of money and can instead raise money for other GOP candidates.

Also, if elected, Mia Love will be the first black Mormon, black female Republican, and Haitian-American rep.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 04:41:59 PM »

Grin Smiley

Yes, I was being a little unnecessary. But this is one district less away from a D majority in the House.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 04:44:42 PM »

Congrats to the Republicans for one and possible only pickup in 2014.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 05:22:19 PM »

If Former Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon (a popular centrist) gave UT-04 a run, he could potentially lose to Mia Love with dignity (get a vote percentage of high 40s), but no one else could even come close.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies