Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi vs Ayatollah Khomeini
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:48:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi vs Ayatollah Khomeini
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: As the title says
M. Reza Shah Pahlavi
Ayatollah Khomeini
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi vs Ayatollah Khomeini  (Read 17475 times)
Hifly
hifly15

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2013, 02:12:36 PM »
« edited: December 16, 2013, 02:20:02 PM by hifly15 »

Anyone with intelligence (and who doesn't have some deep underlying religious conviction which prevents them from voting for a secularist) will vote for Pahlavi. Especially since this forum cares about LGBT rights. And anyone who identifies as left-wing should be ashamed to vote for Khomeini.

Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »

Pahlavi was better even though that isn't saying much.

I've done a lot of research on women in Iran, and Khomeini is one of the worst things that ever happened to them.  He was pretty much a monster.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2013, 02:37:26 PM by hifly15 »

I've done a lot of research on women in Iran, and Khomeini is one of the worst things that ever happened to them.  He was pretty much a monster.

Indeed - Pahlavi's support for and provision of Women's Rights is one of the reasons as to why so many uneducated and delusional folk joined the Islamic Revolution. The Pahlavi dynasty provided for, inter alia, the expansion of the electoral law to provide for full universal suffrage and widespread educational opportunities were implemented for women (not to forget the abolition of the veil).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »

The Shah obviously. Though obviously the correct option in 1979 was Mansoor Hekmat.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »

The Shah obviously. Though obviously the correct option in 1979 was Mansoor Hekmat.

What about Shapour Bakhtiar?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »

What about Shapour Bakhtiar?

Yeah, if I had to make a serious choice, it would probably be him.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »

I've done a lot of research on women in Iran, and Khomeini is one of the worst things that ever happened to them.  He was pretty much a monster.

Indeed - Pahlavi's support for and provision of Women's Rights is one of the reasons as to why so many uneducated and delusional folk joined the Islamic Revolution. The Pahlavi dynasty provided for, inter alia, the expansion of the electoral law to provide for full universal suffrage and widespread educational opportunities were implemented for women (not to forget the abolition of the veil).

Yes, although many of the people that took part in the Islamic Revolution were young women that were turned off by what they thought were vacuous "western" values.  They thought that the Shah focused too much on forced cultural liberation while ignoring basic needs like clean water and decent housing.  They thought they could be anti-western and anti-imperialist while still being pro feminist, and Khomeini was quick to accept them into his ranks because it made the movement much stronger.  When Khomeini reversed policy and betrayed women in the early 80s, there was a lot of protests from the same women that supported him in the revolution.  And he basically saw to it that they were murdered, tortured, and raped for their efforts.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 03:06:05 PM »

Pahlavi.... the Cinema Rex fire was a complete travesty. It just went to show how people were going to blame the regime no matter what happened. In reality that incident should have taken the wind from the sails of the Islamists, instead of putting it into them.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 04:42:51 PM »

The Shah. He had a few questionable policies (redistributing portions of land away from the aristocracy was one) but in general, he seemed like a decent, and most importantly, pro-western figure.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:01:45 PM »

The Shah. He had a few questionable policies (redistributing portions of land away from the aristocracy was one) but in general, he seemed like a decent, and most importantly, pro-western figure.

lol
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »

lol

Is wikipedia biting me in the backside again?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 05:06:21 PM »

lol

It's just pretty hilarious (yet also sad) that, among all the horrible things Palavi did, the only thing you manage to point out is actually pretty good.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »

Pahlavi, obviously.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 05:11:09 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2013, 05:13:13 PM by hifly15 »

It pains me to watch the manner in which Iran has fallen to the clerical dogs and as a result of which so much development that was happening and could have continued to progress, both social and economic, has been prevented.

Who on earth voted for Khomeini in this poll?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »

lol

It's just pretty hilarious (yet also sad) that, among all the horrible things Palavi did, the only thing you manage to point out is actually pretty good.

Well, I guess we see the world in completely different and irreconcilable ways.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »

The Shah but Mossadegh is preferable to either of them,
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 06:30:42 PM »

It pains me to watch the manner in which Iran has fallen to the clerical dogs and as a result of which so much development that was happening and could have continued to progress, both social and economic, has been prevented.

Who on earth voted for Khomeini in this poll?

I did, in protest of your Simfanesque fetishization of Pahlavi. The better of two options, certainly; in any way a good option, absolutely not.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »

lol

Cassius literally supports feudalism?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 08:11:25 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2013, 08:13:18 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

and in 1979 Bakhtiar continuing in power was probably the best realistic option, or at least better than either of those given here.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 08:22:07 PM »

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »

lol

Well, I guess we see the world in completely different and irreconcilable ways.

They weren't really "aristocracy" in the European sense. Middle Eastern cultures have never had any kind of landed gentry or titled nobility because it would have been a threat to the absolute monarchs and emperors that ruled that region for most of history. There was the king/shah/emir and then there was everyone else; some of the "everyone else" had quite a bit of money and others lived in squalor, but socially speaking, Islamic societies were extremely egalitarian throughout history compared to their western neighbors in Europe with their dukes and viscounts, and compared to their eastern neighbors in India with their rigid caste system.

But whether you agree with it or not, it was a bad long-term move politically speaking. When things turned ugly in Iran, the Shah lost support in the rural areas fastest. The wealthy rural Iranians disliked him for parceling up their lands; the poor rural Iranians disliked him for declining to humor their backward views on things like education and women's rights.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 09:04:42 AM »

lol

Cassius literally supports feudalism?

The problem with reactionaries is that you never know for sure how far back in time they want to bring us.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 02:20:53 PM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 02:05:11 PM »

Finally, I can cast my vote for Shahanshah Ayramehr.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »

The Shah
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies