List of pro life\pro choice presidents/vice presidents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:56:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  List of pro life\pro choice presidents/vice presidents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: List of pro life\pro choice presidents/vice presidents  (Read 33213 times)
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« on: February 12, 2015, 03:35:55 AM »

It's interesting.

People like Kennedy for example probably were never really opposed to it, instead they just went with the party's shifting views on the issue.

The same can be said for someone like Bush Sr, who's late in career change from pro-choice to pro-life would most likely have been more out appeasing the party base than any actual change in private beliefs.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »

Of course I would also claim that many liberal Catholics, particularly Ted Kennedy, were probably waiting to switch sides once the force of law was on their side.

Something that has never really occurred to me, but just clicks when I think of all of the hold-out Democratic politicians "coming out" for marriage equality in that orchestrated manner in 2013.

I think you probably nailed that one - at least as an explanation for why Ted Kennedy used to be 'pro-life.'

The real question and the one that we'll unfortunately never know is if John and Bobby would have had the same "evolution" as Teddy or is it possible they influence Teddy to stay pro-life.
Was Bobby also pro-life though? I remember reading somewhere Bobby was pro-choice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies