MI-Sen, PPP: Land in the lead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:27:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  MI-Sen, PPP: Land in the lead
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: MI-Sen, PPP: Land in the lead  (Read 8082 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2013, 09:12:47 AM »

Link

Land 42
Peters 40

Great news! Land is certainly soaring in the polls as a result of Peterscare.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 09:22:03 AM »

I'll wait for another poll to confirm this, even PPP can get it wrong sometimes.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:27:30 AM »

Somewhat expected. Democrats are plagued by low name recognition here. Once Peters and Schauer get their names out there, the real race begins.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:31:32 AM »

First they say, "LOL at anyone believing a Michigan-based pollster!!!" Now it's, "Well, PPP can be wrong sometimes..."

The excuses will have me literally doubled over next year.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:32:56 AM »

Not surprising.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »

First they say, "LOL at anyone believing a Michigan-based pollster!!!" Now it's, "Well, PPP can be wrong sometimes..."

I guess they are having trouble facing up to the fact that Peters will have a tougher time holding this seat for the Democrats then they predicted.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 09:50:37 AM »

Yeah. I'm just hoping Peters can actually take Land seriously and start campaigning.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »

To think all those pathetic establishment hacks were trashing Land for months. I think if Snyder wins cleanly (5+) and the Pubs have a good national environment, this is a winnable race. However PVI will be a weight on Land, which is why I'd still say Lean D for now. It would be 53.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »

To think all those pathetic establishment hacks were trashing Land for months. I think if Snyder wins cleanly (5+) and the Pubs have a good national environment, this is a winnable race. However PVI will be a weight on Land, which is why I'd still say Lean D for now. It would be 53.

I globally agree with your analysis. In a republican year, Gary Peters is toast. Land is far from being Christine O'donnell.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »

Two percent in the low forties is soaring? Please. If Land doesn't poll out of the low 40s at some point, she's not winning this race and it's very unlikely she will, as she's from the wrong part of the state. Hoekstra had the same issue, wrong part of the state.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »

The last PPP poll in October had Peters up 43-36. That said, IO has a point.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 10:55:58 AM »

I've wondered why you were such a huge fan of all things Santorum (surely he isn't the only politician who appeals to you at an ideological level), but I've finally figured it out.  The common thread is that you both appear to derive genuine pleasure from acting like a jerk whenever anyone disagrees with you.  Pre-Obama hug Christie must have been right up your ally (he probably still is Tongue ).  Thanks for clearing that up Smiley
Conflicted Progressive
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2013, 11:13:54 AM by Conflicted Progressive »

As has been already mentioned, Land is at the Republican floor. She has higher name recognition than Peters and we'll have to see if she can get out of the low forties. Let's check back in Feb/March to get a clearer idea.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »

I've wondered why you were such a huge fan of all things Santorum (surely he isn't the only politician who appeals to you at an ideological level), but I've finally figured it out.  The common thread is that you both appear to derive genuine pleasure from acting like a jerk whenever anyone disagrees with you.  Pre-Obama hug Christie must have been right up your ally (he probably still is Tongue ).  Thanks for clearing that up Smiley

Haha, uh, are you kidding? A few things to clear up for you...

1) You're correct in thinking Santorum isn't the only politician to appeal to me ideologically. I identify and admire others. And because I'm a human being, I also have my disagreements with Santorum. People conveniently select what they want to see/hear though.

2) Comb through just a few of my many posts from the past nine years. It's easy to see I'm clearly outnumbered politically around these parts. To say that I'm a jerk whenever someone disagrees with me is obviously wrong on the surface and even more idiotic when you consider many of the people I consider friends on here are from "the other side."

3) My post here is no different from the countless posters that occasionally show their partisan side when a poll is published showing a favorable result. You're singling mine out over anger. Take it easy.

4) Just to highlight a little more of your ignorance, I have always liked Christie. Do yourself a favor and don't assume my feelings were any different "Pre-Obama hug." That didn't bother me.

Have a nice day now. Smiley
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »

As has been already mentioned, Land is at the Republican floor. She has higher name recognition than Peters and we'll have to see if she can get out of the low forties. Let's check back in Feb/March to get a clearer idea.

Floor? In this poll Land is already getting more of the vote than Hoekstra.
Yogi
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »

Land seems like a solid candidate. Hopefully she keeps polling this well this time next year.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »

Two percent in the low forties is soaring? Please. If Land doesn't poll out of the low 40s at some point, she's not winning this race and it's very unlikely she will, as she's from the wrong part of the state. Hoekstra had the same issue, wrong part of the state.

Why do you say that?

Not saying that your wrong, but if nether candidate somehow breaks towards 50% wouldn't the race be anyone's guess?

Imo opinion I would say that it is more then likely that Land would out of the low 40's given that  nationally the momentum appears on the GOP's side for now.(however, that doesn't mean she will win).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 12:00:39 PM »

That fails to address that Hoekstra was obviously a terrible fit for the state, and had not won a statewide election, and was plagued by gaffes and controversies. It doesn't look like the same will happen to Land.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »

Dem numbers are only going to get better from this point.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 12:49:12 PM »

Odd to see how much krazen suddenly loves PPP when they have Republicans ahead.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »

I've wondered why you were such a huge fan of all things Santorum (surely he isn't the only politician who appeals to you at an ideological level), but I've finally figured it out.  The common thread is that you both appear to derive genuine pleasure from acting like a jerk whenever anyone disagrees with you.  Pre-Obama hug Christie must have been right up your ally (he probably still is Tongue ).  Thanks for clearing that up Smiley

Haha, uh, are you kidding? A few things to clear up for you...

1) You're correct in thinking Santorum isn't the only politician to appeal to me ideologically. I identify and admire others. And because I'm a human being, I also have my disagreements with Santorum. People conveniently select what they want to see/hear though.

2) Comb through just a few of my many posts from the past nine years. It's easy to see I'm clearly outnumbered politically around these parts. To say that I'm a jerk whenever someone disagrees with me is obviously wrong on the surface and even more idiotic when you consider many of the people I consider friends on here are from "the other side."

3) My post here is no different from the countless posters that occasionally show their partisan side when a poll is published showing a favorable result. You're singling mine out over anger. Take it easy.

4) Just to highlight a little more of your ignorance, I have always liked Christie. Do yourself a favor and don't assume my feelings were any different "Pre-Obama hug." That didn't bother me.

Have a nice day now. Smiley

It wasn't even so much this post as an overall pattern, but whatever, I'm not invested in this enough to dig through your posting history for examples, tbh.  Also, I never said your feelings about Christie were any different post-Obama hug than they were before, in fact I said that I suspected they were the same.  I will admit that I was in a bad mood about other stuff (and I'll admit, annoyed by the poll) when I posted the comment and it was probably uncalled for.  Btw, I am curious, what would be an example of an ideological disagreement you have with Santorum?  I've been here a while and I cannot remember you ever mentioning one, but that obviously doesn't mean you don't have any.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 01:18:37 PM »

Dem numbers are only going to get better from this point.

How can you say that when that hasn't been the case thus far?

Also odd how all the Dems here are like "oh it must be wrong" when PPP show Democrats behind. Be consistent guys.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »

PPP is just jumping on the bandwagon. After their amusing prior poll showed Peters up by 7, other pollsters showed Land either very close or in the lead.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »

Land is overrated as a candidate Secretary of State is a no partisan race really. I don't think you even see ads for it. If 2014 is like 2010 or even a close to it yeah Peters will be in trouble. I still think this is at worse lean Democrat. Republicans are at 42% but they always can get close to 45% in Michigan the last 5-6% is where they have trouble. I would have thought Peters would be better known he represented Oakland county at first and now part of Detroit and some Oakland county. This race hasn't even started yet both sides have there the people who will always vote for them.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2013, 02:34:51 PM by dmmidmi »

That fails to address that Hoekstra was obviously a terrible fit for the state, and had not won a statewide election, and was plagued by gaffes and controversies. It doesn't look like the same will happen to Land.

Hoekstra had other issues, but being from West Michigan certainly didn't help. West Michigan/GR/the Lake Shore's cultural identity is very different from where the votes actually are (Metro Detroit).

Land is overrated as a candidate Secretary of State is a no partisan race really. I don't think you even see ads for it. If 2014 is like 2010 or even a close to it yeah Peters will be in trouble. I still think this is at worse lean Democrat. Republicans are at 42% but they always can get close to 45% in Michigan the last 5-6% is where they have trouble. I would have thought Peters would be better known he represented Oakland county at first and now part of Detroit and some Oakland county. This race hasn't even started yet both sides have there the people who will always vote for them.

This, pretty much. Other than the occasional article on mLive about fundraising numbers, this race hasn't started at all. No ads, no real endorsements, nothing. I'm not really surprised Peters' name recognition is so low, though. Out of curiosity, what was Debbie Stabenow's name recognition a year before the 2000 Senate race?

By the way, this speaks volumes:

Q5 Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion
of Terri Lynn Land?
Favorable 34%
Unfavorable 23%
Not sure 43%
Q6 Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion
of Gary Peters?
Favorable 22%
Unfavorable 21%
Not sure 57%

When asked about their opinion of Terri Lynn Land--this strong candidate I've been hearing about, who was Secretary of State for 8 years, and won two landslide elections--43% of voters aren't sure. And nobody knows who Gary Peters is.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies